• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Hornet3d

Wise
Here's a link --> 3Dconnexion : SpaceNavigator
It works with all my 3D programs, except for ZBrush, and not for lack of requests. ^^

I use the same mouse and have done for a few years now and like you I find it a definite improvement and once set to your own particular needs such as speed and sensitivity it becomes instinctive to use. On the odd occasion I move to a backup machine to do Poser work I miss it immediately.

I am surprised it does not work in ZBrush, not that I use it but, as you say, it works in almost everything else.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
On the odd occasion I move to a backup machine to do Poser work I miss it immediately.
I am surprised it does not work in ZBrush, not that I use it but, as you say, it works in almost everything else.

You mean it doesn't work in Poser for you? I have been using this 3D mouse with Poser since version 7. The way it works is different in some programs, though. Poser requires the 3DConnexion applet to work, but Modo has it built-in. You know the applet is running if you see the 3DConnexion icon on your system tray. I think both Poser and DS require it. In DS I have to reduce sensitivity to almost zero, or else things FLY with the slightest touch. ;p

Wow! That is very cool!

I started with the older model, the SpacePilot, which is much bigger, has an LCD display and tons of useful buttons. But 3DConnexion quit supporting it in Windows 10, so I was forced to buy a new one (SpaceNavigator). Microsoft did the same with their ENTIRE LINE of awesome game controllers - they quit supporting them in Windows 10, forcing me to buy an XBOX controller.

My old SpacePilot still works nicely (these never break), but there is no driver for it on Windows 10. At least I could buy the SpaceNavigator for half the price at a Smith Micro's Poser + 3D Mouse promo. Normal price is around $110, and I've paid only $49. The old SpacePilot is better than this new SpaceNavigator, but lack of divers can keep us from using stuff we already have. It's their way to force us to buy new stuff. ;p

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
One of may biggest grumphs about Maya is that my plain Apple mouse doesn't appear to work with it. No matter how I adjust the settings, it won't accept the scroll button as a middle mouse button. So I have to downgrade to an old MS mouse which a friend let me use.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Could be, but the one I'm using (it's a wired one) is programable as multi-button. The program accepts the right mouse and left mouse buttons, but refuses to recognize the scroll button as a button. Even though the settings allow for it.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I guess Mac users have been conditioned to refuse multi-buttons mice for so many years, that maybe applications refuse them too. My sis is a Mac user, and she always said Macs don't need more buttons. That's a PC thing because in the PC culture we like to customize things and have many hardware options and models to choose from. That used to be taboo in Mac culture. Maybe it still is.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Thank you everyone! The reflections are purely due to Lully's hard work which is why her Dome Prop Set is one of my favourite environments (apart from it's surreal aspects). I'm hoping we will see further expansions in the future to an already fine set. I can imagine that dome with glorious sweeping starfields like the images from the Hubble Telescope! (Drool! :whistling:). Lighting comes from a basic IBL, specular and sun set up with the sun set high at 70% intensity to highlight the reflections. To my delight (and surprise) postwork consisted of minor adjustments to the shadows. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I postwork everything I make, and I am perfectly OK with that (except for promos). Renders are not supposed to be perfect. In addition, postwork adds to the artistic side of the composition, so I make it integral part of the piece and have a lot of fun with it. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
You mean it doesn't work in Poser for you? I have been using this 3D mouse with Poser since version 7. The way it works is different in some programs, though. Poser requires the 3DConnexion applet to work, but Modo has it built-in. You know the applet is running if you see the 3DConnexion icon on your system tray. I think both Poser and DS require it. In DS I have to reduce sensitivity to almost zero, or else things FLY with the slightest touch. ;p

/QUOTE]

No, I have never had a problem to get it working in Poser. I needed a third party hack to get it work with Silo but otherwise no problems. When I built my present machine I kept the old one and very rarely I use it for Poser but it is not equipped with a 3D mouse, I can't justify a second one for the little I use this machine and it is not worth moving the navigator over. I do miss it immediately though and using Poser on the spare machine does not flow as well as it does with the 3D mouse.

Hornet3d

Wise
I postwork everything I make, and I am perfectly OK with that (except for promos). Renders are not supposed to be perfect. In addition, postwork adds to the artistic side of the composition, so I make it integral part of the piece and have a lot of fun with it. :)

Like you, I postwork almost every thing I do and I love playing with layers and masks it can really change the nature of a render and mine need all the help they can get. Where I use Particleshop the post work is often very obvious but in a lot of the renders the postwork is often hard to spot. I agree with you that postwork in promos would be unfair but otherwise it is part of the creative process.

Me195

Extraordinary
Thanks, Me195! The Universal Chibi Head is a new project taking shape, and in a different style. It can also perform special kinds of expressions the UAH cannot do without external props attached. Here are some examples --> ~Chibi Expressions!~

I love how the comic book render caught the small details on CatsEyes face and textures. It's yet another Poser feature many never come to try. ^^

I see. It's very clever.

Credit for that goes to you, Chris, and his team. The well made geometry, morphs, and textures help a LOT. It's made me want your universal anime head even more. Once I get it I might get back into animating again since comic renders are pretty much instantaneous.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've played around with the comic book renders in the past, but was never able to get a good handle on them and just went forward with the regular rendering styles. Of course, this is going back to around Poser 5, and then again in Poser 7 and pretty much I never toyed with them much after that. By the time Poser 8 came out, I had converted 100% to Studio for my own artwork rendering. I may have to give it another play now that I've got PP11 on here. :)

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
It started as a promo render...

Hello darling! We are here...

Hello darling.png

Xurge3d Fantasy Rogue outfit, chair by i13, axe by Daz/Arien/Kraig, Ali's hair (if you see it).
P11/SF