• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
First of all, I LOVE that I can add multiple quotes in this new forum! \(^o^)/

Thanks, I do both...but in this case used photoshop so I'd have access to my brushes.

I usually paint textures in 2D using a template, but for one particular commission job that was not possible because I had to match the textures over multiple maps and make it perfectly seamless. I was forced to use ZBrush, and it made the work a breeze comparing to the alternative. I just wish Zbrush had a simpler way to deal with textures. :)

Very cute, Ken, love the colour of her costume too, one of my faves.

Thank you, Lorraine! It's interesting you've mention the outfit color, because I did something different in this one. The outfit is actually totally black, but I added a blue reflection to it, which makes it look partially blue-ish. Normally I only use it for metalic surfaces, but this seems perfect to emulate the shading used in Anime style, where things have a colored reflection. My only concern is for the use of white, which tends to blow up in renders. I wish I had a better method to control that in Octane. ^^;

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I like it Pen!
Bump and Displacement might help it look more like paint applied to the skin. Just a tiny bit to raise the paint from the skin. Doesn't need to be all that much.

Ken, very cool! Hand and Feet scaling is under Body/Hands/Controls. Is that what you want?

Normally, I increase the scaling on hands, feet, and head, but in this case, I tried going into the negative.

Right / Left Hand Scale and Right / Left Foot Scale set to -0.50

Tiny Hands and Feet.png

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Ken, very cool! Hand and Feet scaling is under Body/Hands/Controls. Is that what you want?
Normally, I increase the scaling on hands, feet, and head, but in this case, I tried going into the negative.
Right / Left Hand Scale and Right / Left Foot Scale set to -0.50

Thanks Satira, that is exactly what I was looking for! I feel a little silly that I didn't see those dials in the first place. Perhaps I wasn't looking for controls that started with "left" and "right", since I wanted something that applies to both hands and to both feet. But it's easy to create masters dials that control both these left and right sides by using these dials as dependent parameters.
I will probably create the dials and save Dawn back to the library.

Thank you again, Satira! :D

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
You are very welcome!

It took me forever to find them! And even then, it took awhile before I could remember where they were.

So, don't feel silly that you didn't see them in the first place.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I usually paint textures in 2D using a template, but for one particular commission job that was not possible because I had to match the textures over multiple maps and make it perfectly seamless. I was forced to use ZBrush, and it made the work a breeze comparing to the alternative. I just wish Zbrush had a simpler way to deal with textures. :)
It is quicker in some ways but I still have to come up with a work flow so that I can use my brushes in Zbrush. I think the simplest way would be to create alphas using them, but I have so many brushes it would take forever. I suppose I could create an action...

I like it Pen!
Bump and Displacement might help it look more like paint applied to the skin. Just a tiny bit to raise the paint from the skin. Doesn't need to be all that much.
Thanks Satira and it does still need bump and displacement I haven't added any yet and it will help.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It is quicker in some ways but I still have to come up with a work flow so that I can use my brushes in Zbrush. I think the simplest way would be to create alphas using them, but I have so many brushes it would take forever. I suppose I could create an action...

Doesn't Photoshop allow painting textures directly on models too?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Wow, that's a great bargain for the Quixel Suit 2. I only see it being used to texture hard surface models, like machinery, vehicles and armor suits. Is it usable with normal outfits?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh I'm liking that outfit Sanbie, and knowing NA's ability to texture all to well, I'm sure it's going to be gorgeous.

I especially like the standup collar.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Thank you Miss B...it is going to be available for Daz and Poser...
Edited to add...

Naplamarsenal asked for plain tight boots because she had transmaps in mind...so I can't wait to see what she comes up with!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Thank you Miss B...it is going to be available for Daz and Poser...
Edited to add...

Naplamarsenal asked for plain tight boots because she had transmaps in mind...so I can't wait to see what she comes up with!
Ohhhh, I'm interested to see what she comes up with.