• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
No...I'd agree with you it's one of the things I'm thinking of changing it doesn't work well with the apricot. Still needs some work around the eyes and also on the texture of the mask. It needs to be less heavy...if that make sense. One of the reasons I was playing with an art render was so I could work some of this stuff out...sometimes when you are working on the texture itself it can be hard to judge and even doing straight test renders doesn't always give you a real feel for how it's working...also I don't think it works as well with the colour of the wings.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, I don't think it works with the apricot either, and yes it makes sense that it looks heavy, almost like heavy stage makeup, if you know what I mean. Live theatre actors wear heavy makeup so it can be seen by folks sitting further back in the audience.

I also see what you mean about it not working with her wings. That looks more like a yellow gold, rather than the orange gold color you have here.

I'm not sure how you would fix that, but right now it looks painted on her, and I don't think that's the look you're trying for. Keep working on it, because I think it'll be nice when it's done. I like the shape of the mask, with the dots flowing down to her jawline. ;)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Actually, I think she's missing 2 teeth, and I think that's a morph Pen created for her Diva.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks Miss B...yes it is my morphs and there are two missing.

@Satira...they cost a horrendous amount in some households. I know children who have got $10 for a tooth...I always say to those kids, "gee, your tooth fairy must be rich"

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Sorry. I meant just the two bottom front teeth. Not that she was missing ALL her bottom teeth!

That's a lot of money per tooth! I think I should have got $10,000 when I lost my tooth to the tooth doctor! Instead, I had to pay HIM. I cried like a baby after the injection to numb my mouth. He thought it was because of the injection ... but no. It was because I was losing the tooth! I could just see me in a few years with not a tooth remaining in my head. Fortunately, the next tooth I had problems with just had to have a rootectomy, so I was able to keep the tooth.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Hands in ears going La la la la la....don't talk to me about dentists I don't want to know I'm so phobic about them at the moment. My teeth have gotten very sensitive as I've gotten older and it just hurts even for routine checks. I've been avoiding mine...

Miss B

CV-BEE
Not a good idea Pen, though my teeth have pretty much "settled in" as it were. I had a lot of work done in my 20s and 30s, and now it's just a matter of keeping them clean and healthy. I can't remember the last decade I had a cavity.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I know but every time I sit in the chair I feel like I'm going to get up and run screaming out of there drill hanging out of my mouth. I've always made myself go but the last six months I haven't been able to get there.
In Australia we have a new thing called sleep dentistry and I'm seriously considering it.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I had a friend whose dentist had something like that. She had low blood pressure, and hated needles, so she had this kind of air mask put on that would put her to sleep, and then the dentist could inject the pain killer. It's been years since I've seen her as she and hubby moved to Kentucky years ago, so I lost track of her and can't ask her what it was called. It does sound like what you're talking about.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah. I have a friend in LA who gets something like that done. Apparently, people in LA don't deal well with pain. Or at least, people in the movie industry :p

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I don't know if my pain threshold has reduced or the pain is higher due to the sensitivity in the teeth I just know I can't handle going in there at the moment.
Texture is still a work in progress but it's slowly getting there. Changed the colours on the mask a bit. Still not sure they will stay the colours that they are and I'm playing with a few techniques in PS to try and get it to look more like facepaint.
oh no take 4.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK that color works better with the apricot sections, but now I'm wondering why you need the apricot sections at all.

Wouldn't the areas under her eyes and at the side/temples look just as good if her face skin was showing through? IOW, try to hide those sections and see how it looks, because at first glance you wouldn't necessarily see those sections as painted unless you look a little closer. I know they're there because I saw your earlier version, but someone seeing it for the first time, my just mistake those areas as her skin showing through.

Just a thought. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Easy enough to try Miss B...it's all on layers and very much a work in progress which I'm just having a play with. It may not even end up in any texture I do for Diva at this point I'm just trying to see if I can do a face paint texture. It may end up as a much simpler design that I use.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh I have a lot of Raj's products, though I'm not sure I got them at CP.

As far as the design of it, I like it. Try hiding that layer and see how it looks. I think it's going to look nice.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
This fairy character has rather tiny hands and feet, and there was no easy way to achieve that with Dawn. Hands and feet don't use propagating scaling, and after manually scaling everything, the joints are now out of place and cannot be posed. I have only fixed the hands/feet joints that were posed, leaving the others alone. Now I have created a new master dial that automates all the scaling parts, but it still won't fix the joints. Is there an easier way to handle this?

Now that it's rendered, I think it's an interesting look. ^^

FetishFairy_1200.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Oh I have a lot of Raj's products, though I'm not sure I got them at CP.

As far as the design of it, I like it. Try hiding that layer and see how it looks. I think it's going to look nice.

I will...I've been a bit slack today and not been on the computer except for surfing the web.

@Ken1171 , very nice fairy!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thanks, Pen! I was looking at your cute face texture and I was wondering if you paint directly on the model in zBrush, or if you paint on a UV template? ^___^