• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Share your Sora for Dawn renders here.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Pendraia Oh yes, I've modeled real pockets this time. ^^

@RobZhena Thank youuu! :)

@Miss B I have used the construct with pure white and 30% emission. That alone won't create any shadows because it's just diffuse light, which has no direction. I just added a key spotlight on the left to create some contrast, highlights and shadows. The EZ-Dome works exactly the same way, except that the "sun" is a distant light instead of a spotlight.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, I've used BB's EnvSphere with the Poser Ground because the EnvDome doesn't reach the ground, so I usually prefer the EnvSphere with the Poser Ground.

That said, I do have EZDome, but haven't had a chance to play with it. I should've realized that's what you were using because you've mentioned 30% emission before, and the Construct and EnvSphere don't have those settings. I guess I'll be playing with EZDome from now on. :) Thanks.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
When I mentioned 30% emission, I was referring to the construct prop. By default it doesn't emit any light. We have to set that up in the material room, by adding a color and value to the ambient color and value. That's what turns it into a light emission dome. After playing with it for a while, I realized SMS had previous mentioned something about always using it when rendering with Cycles. The reason is that it will cast light rays all over the place, and this can take time if there is nothing for it hit. By using the construct, we create a closed environment for the light rays to bounce around. The basic idea is: the shorter the distance these rays have to travel, the quicker the render.

In my tests, it takes only 15 sample pixels to render with the construct, and 40 without to achieve the same results. It's a huge time-saver when rendering with Cycles. If I am not mistaken, it's the same with Lux/Reality. Paolo has provided a closed box prop to do exactly the same thing the construct does, though not as versatile. In both cases, the basic idea is the same - give something for the ray casting to hit and bounce. That speeds up rendering a good deal, and can also be used to emit light.

Miss B

CV-BEE
When I mentioned 30% emission, I was referring to the construct prop. By default it doesn't emit any light. We have to set that up in the material room, by adding a color and value to the ambient color and value. That's what turns it into a light emission dome.
Oh duuuuh, of course. I should've realized you were talking about the Ambient settings. I understand what you're saying about light having something to bounce off of, and I've found some vendors are including domes (or boxes as you mentioned) with their large scene products.

Meanwhile I just played with Snarly's EDZome, and it's looking pretty good, but I deleted out the image from the material zone for the Inner Dome because I want an all white background. Now I'm trying to manipulate the Sun to position it just right. Then I'll try to add a light for the shadows I'm hoping for. We shall see.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
If all you want is a plain white dome with light emission, the construct is better if you need shadows to cast on the ground. Just make the construct emit light, and add a distant light to work as the sun. That will have the exact same effect as EZ-Dome with no inside image, except that you will have a ground to cast shadows at.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Actually, I tried that, but didn't have much luck. By distant light, do you mean an infinite light, or area light? I can't see a spot light as a distant light, and I don't think a Diffuse IBL is right either. I really need to read up on Poser lights. ;)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Yes, distant light is Poser's "infinite light". Spot and area lights fade with the distance, while infinite lights keep the same intensity, and the light rays travel parallel to each other instead of in a cone shape. This is meant to simulate they way a distant light (like the sun) works. In both Cycles and Octane, distant lights are used to cast sunlight, and in Octane we also have a physical sky that comes along automatically. As far as I could tell, it appears that Cycles doesn't have a physical sky, so it's angle in relation to the horizon doesn't change its color, or the sky color. It appears to be just a distant light like we already had in Poser, except that the light is physically based, so the effect is drastically more realistic.

Using the construct as a light source, plus a distant light to be the sun, you have exactly the same as the EZ-Dome, plus a floor to cast shadows. What EZ-Dome helps with is when we want to use HDRI maps to light a scene. It automates some of the tasks. But if you just want a plain white backdrop and a sunlight, it's better to use the construct because it has a ground to cast shadows at.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Actually, I tried that, but didn't have much luck. By distant light, do you mean an infinite light, or area light? I can't see a spot light as a distant light, and I don't think a Diffuse IBL is right either. I really need to read up on Poser lights. ;)

MissB, don't I remember you saying you grabbed Vince Banga's Sunlight while it was at RDNA? If so, those lights work really well using the construct in P11.

I did this promo render using the construct and VB's sunlight. That's maclean's Ice Cream parlor that goes with Bar Italia.

Hint: Have the Construct selected when you load VB's lights to position the "sun" properly.

TSDress_Superfly.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, distant light is Poser's "infinite light". Spot and area lights fade with the distance, while infinite lights keep the same intensity, and the light rays travel parallel to each other instead of in a cone shape.

Using the construct as a light source, plus a distant light to be the sun, you have exactly the same as the EZ-Dome, plus a floor to cast shadows. What EZ-Dome helps with is when we want to use HDRI maps to light a scene. It automates some of the tasks. But if you just want a plain white backdrop and a sunlight, it's better to use the construct because it has a ground to cast shadows at.
Thanks Ken. I noticed the parallel light rays with the Infinite light when I had it selected. I'll try again with the Construct and see if I get better results.

MissB, don't I remember you saying you grabbed Vince Banga's Sunlight while it was at RDNA? If so, those lights work really well using the construct in P11.

Hint: Have the Construct selected when you load VB's lights to position the "sun" properly.
Yes Traci, I have Vince's light set. In fact I used it for my Artistic Render when testing Seliah's set for Dusk. I found it gave me the perfect lighting for late afternoon when rendering Dusk, Harry and a Stable set I bought.

That said, I don't think I've tried them with the Construct, so thanks for that tip. ;)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
This is my 2nd render with EZ-Dome, and I am starting to get the hang of it. It's CatsEyes with her new P11 SSS materials. She's wearing my hoodie and jeans. There is no shadow catcher in Cycles, so I had to paint the shadows by hand.

Hoodie_1200.jpg

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
This is my 2nd render with EZ-Dome, and I am starting to get the hang of it. It's CatsEyes with her new P11 SSS materials. She's wearing my hoodie and jeans. There is no shadow catcher in Cycles, so I had to paint the shadows by hand.

I like EZDome, too, Ken. Even though I haven't played with it a lot. But, you can get shadows if you stick in a ground plane. There's just no ground on which to cast a shadow in EZDome unless you add one.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Yes,, but adding a ground plane just renders it on top of the HDRI backdrop. It's no use without a shadow catcher. Poser has one in the material room, but Cycles can't use it because the makers haven't implemented shadow-catching yet. I was lucky Octane always had this feature since the first version. It's almost absurd that a modern PBR doesn't support it in this day and age.