• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Share your Sora for Dawn renders here.

jonrea

Eager
Contributing Artist
Great stuff :)

Another Sora pic

Cheers

Jon

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Sooo we can't forget Minako!!!

I adore Minako for Sora by Tempesta3D!
She is such a cutie pie! This piece 'just happened' in short order... I was taking a break from working on a herd of horses, and thought about this character - and before I knew it, she leapt into this scene! Her pose comes with Sora - Paul did a great job with the 'base poses' for her... while I was moving in close to pose her expression, I thought: Hey! I like this!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
It's Marion hair by Rpublishing just a few tweaks to fit Dawn

Jon
Oh, and it's for V4, EXCELLENT!! I have Netherworks Dawn preset for his Hair Conversion System, so that'll be easy/peasy to get it to fit. Thanks. :D

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Can morphed eyes still pose if they are no longer spherical?

Yes! Since the eyes are separate and weighted fully, we should be able to make controls to move them using translations. poser can definitely do this. DS maybe. You could also do the motions as morph dials, so we have some options If DS can't separate translations for eyes.

If there is a will I will find a a way! :)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I gather that Star 2's eyes are not spherical at all. Probably neither were the original Star's eyes.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I was referring to traditional "flat" Anime eyes, which is not about size or shape, but structure. Aiko had big eyes, but that alone doesn't make Anime style. Disney uses big eyes, and it's not Anime. I don't think spherical eyes can produce traditional Anime style, and I have shown examples of what happens when it was tried. It requires a more flat eye structure, and Dawn can't go that way.

Hmm, so this might be a terrible idea, but could you make an add-on set of anime eyes for Dawn that were flat? You would of course have to hide the existing eyes, but that wouldn't be too hard. Obviously the tricky part would be to 'fit' them correctly into Dawn's head, and that might be too technically challenging, especially since part of the point of 3D is being able to change the camera angle, although maybe billboarding would take care of that. On the other hand, your Anime head may already be the solution to this particular problem.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Yes! Since the eyes are separate and weighted fully, we should be able to make controls to move them using translations. poser can definitely do this. DS maybe. You could also do the motions as morph dials, so we have some options If DS can't separate translations for eyes. If there is a will I will find a a way! :)

Thanks for the feedback, Paul! This is actually how I did the eyes on my very early Anime heads. They work on the default head shape, but not so well when FBMs are applied. Would probably require correction morphs for each one, but that's the normal with morphs that affect the head anyway.

I gather that Star 2's eyes are not spherical at all. Probably neither were the original Star's eyes.

Star doesn't actually have eyes. It's just a flat pupil floating inside the eyeball cavity. There is no geometry for the eyeballs, though there is an eye surface to catch reflections that doesn't move the eyes. As you can imagine, this was meant for Firefly and 3Delight, and look rather odd in PBR such as I-ray, Cycles and Octane because there are shadows inside the eyes. Those cannot be disabled in PBR.

Hmm, so this might be a terrible idea, but could you make an add-on set of anime eyes for Dawn that were flat? You would of course have to hide the existing eyes, but that wouldn't be too hard. Obviously the tricky part would be to 'fit' them correctly into Dawn's head, and that might be too technically challenging, especially since part of the point of 3D is being able to change the camera angle, although maybe billboarding would take care of that. On the other hand, your Anime head may already be the solution to this particular problem.

In my UAH I have used a more complex eye rigging that uses magnets (D-formers in DS). In my Chibi head, I came up with a much simpler flat eye rig that works very well, and can also be posed as if the eyes were spherical. If I were to make flat Anime eyes for Dawn, that's the way I would go. Other challenges would be the head shape and non-spherical eyelid closing morphs.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Lum, the electrifying ogre princess from space, in what she claims is her best clothing. Watch out for her lightning bolts! ^___^ Figure is Dawn + Sora + my Stylized body + my CatsEyes face and textures. Rendered in Poser with Superfly.

PrincessLum_1200.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Very nice Ken. I'm still fiddling (or should I say muddling) about with SuperFly. One of these days I'll get it working correctly more often. So far I've only had one decent render with it. ~sigh~

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I am also trying to get the hang on SF, and I need more practice. As opposed to Octane, SF needs to be contained inside a done, so I have better results with the "construct". I find it hard to control the lights without it. The dome contributes to the lighting by bouncing the casted rays back, so I don't have to crank the lights up so much. Now area lights work so well in Octane, but I am still getting mixed results in SF. The results are not as predictable as they are in Octane. I guess that's because Octane is more mature by now, while Cycles is still under development. I am still waiting for a shadow caster, and they claim that's on the table for the near future.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Actually Ken, you should look into Bagginsbill's EnvSphere, AND SnarlyGribbly came out with something called EZDome that uses BB's EnvSphere. I haven't had much time to play with EZDome, but have used BB's EnvSphere. With that, however, I have to use the Ground plane, because the "dome" in that one doesn't have a floor.

The one render I did have success with, I used Dawn/Lully's freebie "stage" prop, as it comes with some textures. The one render I've been trying to set up, so far unsuccessfully, would have a white background and floor. I've seen some renders like that on the SM Poser forum, and it's quite nice, because your eyes are immediately drawn to the figure with no distractions, and they had shadows on the floor where the character was standing. Nice for portrait type renders.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
But isn't the construct a dome? And it already comes with its own closed floor. In addition, Poser 11 already ships with a "dome" primitive for FF rendering as well, so why do we need another one? The default color is a sort of mid grey, but even that is a bit too bright when I add my own lights. If I just use the dome reflected light, I end up with a rather "flat" flooded scene (very low contrast). In Octane that would be the equivalent of setting IBL to a pure white, and the scene gets flooded everywhere. Global illumination doesn't give me enough control to place the lights where I need them.

When I start a scene, I put only a single light, the "Key". When I get this right, I add a 2nd one at the back, the "Rim". The construct adds enough environment ambient, so I don't need a "Fill" light in most cases with SF. Conversely, if I remove the construct and add a Fill light, the scene gets too dark and it's really tough to control the contrast. As a result, the scene lighting becomes rather harsh, requiring more lights to compensate. Adding the construct done simplifies the process by removing the need for a 3rd light, so I can do a 2-points lighting (key + rim) with the same effect as the traditional 3-point (key + fill +rim). In reality, the construct becomes the fill light.

This is a key diference between Octane and Cycles - we cannot use a dome if we want to use IBL in Octane. If we do, the dome will actually block the light and the scene become pitch black. In Cycles it's the opposite, where we use the dome to provide IBL. I have tried using an IBL light in SF, but it basically has no effect. That's where the dome comes in, but it's fixed physical size and UV mapping layout is way harder to manipulate than a simple HDRI image as in Octane. Especially when the HDRI images look completely out of scale when mapped over the construct. If we change its scale, it affects the global lighting. If we scale the image down. the skydome becomes tiled. It's cumbersome.