• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'd say you're off to a good start with a walking animation of Harry.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Great renders and love the animations, HaiGan!

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Overall great job HaiGan!

The back legs look perfect to me, the front looks just a wee jerky somewhere and it looks a little fast for most walks (although I knew a pony who used to walk this fast to keep up the bigger horses :p). I love how you made the feathers flop and the mane looks great too. The tail looks good from the back, from the side maybe try to arch his tail out a little from the top?

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
The front's not smooth enough yet, no, Rae- I need to tweak the spine flexion, there's too fast a change in it and it makes the chest jump too suddenly (you can't really see that as a cause with the mane over it), and then I can re-time the front leg swing so it has a little less in the air and a a little longer on the ground- there should be a frame or so more with three legs touching the ground. I do love feathers! Fortunately I have frequent contact with heavy horses and am also photographer for one of the heavy horse societies, so I have shed-loads of reference images. I do slightly wish for even MORE feather for the horse... The feathers hide the movement of the pasterns and hooves though... eh, I'll post one of the 'naked' horse when I've finished tweaking. :)

Speed is not an absolute for a gif and depends to an extent on your individual computer and on how long you display each frame for. Here's the exact same cycle but with each frame displayed for 6/100 of a second instead of 3/100 of a second:
draft walk animation full slow.gif

So, quick question for the interested: Standard frame rates for video are 24, 30 or 60 frames per second, and Poser's default animation length is 30 frames. Frame numbers for game sprites range from 3 to 20+. Muybridge (who pioneered photography sequences of horses in motion) seems to have worked with 12 frames or so. What's your preferred number of individual poses for a complete gait loop?

(And here's a couple of lovely hairies for you with feathers on display: hairy1.jpg hairy2.jpg)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
OOH HaiGan! That's so cool you are able to see my favorite horses so much. Great job too on the feathers. It looks so natural in your animations.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I like it but can see what you mean about the chest jump...still way better than what I could do.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
mmmmm... Kemosabe..... I think the wagon has left!

View attachment 2024
Well it does sort of have a Salvador Dali style.............. though I keep looking for the melting clocks!! LOL Well done!!

But then again......... the Wookie scene with the handcuffs from Star Wars keeps coming to mind!

Thanks Satira!! It's one of my cherished objects!

Last edited:

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
TheKnightsHorse300.jpg

THE KNIGHT'S HORSE

Well one thing led to another... I actually did a new thing! I POSED the MANE ONLY using both Flint's and Laurie's HORSE poses and then rendered it, saved as png - so I could put it BEHIND the horse layer to give him his mane... I did use one of Laurie's "crests" (don't ask me which pack that came from, I have all of them!) and the forelock is part of the mane... I had to do selective color for BLACKS to match the tail... then I used Stopping By Woods by EmmaAndJordi for the background (Rendo)... I do a lot of tiny touch up post work (like the corner of the horse's eye, brushing the "hair" down onto the hoof... my "cast shadow" action (squished down to just put the shadow underneath the horse here). All this because I had learned how to "constrain" Fabi's blankets! Yay! (and silly- but made my signature out of grass- growing in front of his hooves! LOL!)