• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Setting up Blender for UV Mapping

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
This is in response to a request for help from Gadget Girl in her thread, WIP Shepard Robe for Dusk.

First, I'm on a PC not a Mac, but I can't imagine Blender itself works any differently.

That said, the screenshot GadgetGirl provided in her thread, looks as though she was on the right track. Now for the most part, I usually unwrap meshes I've created in Blender (or Silo) from scratch, so since GG is working with the Shepard Robe she created in MD, I decided to import one of my older MD3 meshes to see what she was seeing, and I see there are 2 methods Angular and Conformal. I assumed, since she wanted this to be a conformed robe, she chose Conformal.

In either case, once she clicked Unwrap, it was unwrapped. The reason it looks like it hasn't happened yet, is because she wasn't viewing the UV Editor window. The following posts are what I posted to help set up Blender for viewing both the 3D View window, where you do your modeling, and the UVImage Editor window, where you set up your UV Map layout.

Last edited:

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, hopefully this will help get you started.

First, be sure to mark your seams first, or what you'll see in the UV Editor is not anything you'll be able to work with.

Usually I mark seams across shoulders, and down side seams. Since Gadget Girl's Shepard Robe has long sleeves, I suggested she should also mark around the armholes, where the sleeves attach to the front and back, AS WELL AS, under the arm. In fact, I would probably start at the cuff and mark the seam(s) that would go from the cuff down to the hem. That way the seam for the sleeve will match the seam for the front and back, and there won't be a problem matching everything up when texturing.

Now to set up the split screens, hover your mouse over the top of your workspace, just below where it states the version of Blender you're using, until you see a double pointed cursor and a small popup for Area Options, and choose Split Area, and drag your mouse to about the middle of your workspace, and release your mouse button.

SplitWindow.jpg

What you'll now see is a duplicate of the Edit mode on the right half as well, so next click on the icon to the left of the View menu and choose UVImage Editor.

ChoseUVEditor.jpg

To the right of the UVs menu should be an icon and some choices. Click the "X" to delete the blank "image" Blender shows you by default.

DeleteRenderResult.jpg

What you'll see then is the UV mapping area. In order to see your Mesh on the left side AND the UV Map on the right side without having it all selected, click on the little icon with the cube and the arrow pointing up to the left.

ViewMapAllTheTime.jpg

Now you'll be able to see everything whether you have the robe selected or not.

SplitWorspace.jpg

Hopefully, that helped. ;)

Last edited:

DigiDotz

Adventurous
You know what? I didnt notice that little icon until now and have been selecting everything in edit mode to see the uV!:giggle: :cool:

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Hopefully, that helped. ;)

You know what? I didnt notice that little icon until now and have been selecting everything in edit mode to see the uV!:giggle: :cool:

It's so wonderful to have a mini tutorial like this. One of the reasons I've never spent much time in Blender despite the fact that it's free and powerful, is that the UI confuses me to no end. I actually spent a lot of time trying to find a View menu, it just never occurred to me to look at the bottom of the screen :oops:

Glad to see this has already helped someone else too.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Don't feel bad Digi, I've been using Blender since version 2.4x, and there was NOTHING like that in the old UI. It took me quite a few versions after the new UI was introduced with 2.52 before I found that little goodie, and then only because I was clicking buttons to see what they did. :rofl: Talk about a nice surprise. :D

Miss B

CV-BEE
I actually spent a lot of time trying to find a View menu, it just never occurred to me to look at the bottom of the screen :oops:
For some reason, whomever designed the current UI decided all menus and buttons should be at the bottom of whatever "window" you're using. Not sure why that was decided, perhaps because that's how the Windows Taskbar is by default, and they thought folks who left it there would be more familiar with having menus and buttons at the bottom of the windows. ~shrug~

Of course, Blender is also available for Mac and Linux, so don't know if their UIs also have their navigation set up that way or not.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
For some reason, whomever designed the current UI decided all menus and buttons should be at the bottom of whatever "window" you're using. Not sure why that was decided, perhaps because that's how the Windows Taskbar is by default, and they thought folks who left it there would be more familiar with having menus and buttons at the bottom of the windows. ~shrug~

Of course, Blender is also available for Mac and Linux, so don't know if their UIs also have their navigation set up that way or not.

Yeah, the setup is the same. Blender is one of those programs that although there is a mac version, it's not really designed for the Mac. So at the top of the screen I actually have a set of extra menus. The default, can't be a program on a mac without at least the Apple, and then the actual useful blender bars.

Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 12.08.29 PM.png

In terms of usability not a big deal, it just means they aren't using any of the built in Mac UI elements but porting over an entire UI set, probably from something like wxPython. Actually it's kind of a good thing because it does mean in terms of layout the mac is identical to to a pc and probably linux so tutorial images are the same and things are in the same place.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Very true. Similarity between OS versions does make tutorials easier to follow, no matter which version of the software you're using.

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
Hello, Miss B, please allow me to interject here regarding your opening post.

The two algorithms (angular/conformal) have nothing to do with choosing because one is creating a conforming clothing object. Poser/DAZ Studio work has no baring on this. They are the two algorithms one can choose for mapping in the LSCM (Least Squares Conformal Mapping) UV mapping (which Blender defaults to with seam-line unwrapping).

One would choose the best one according to the mesh to get the least amount of distortion on their maps, and you can even mix them per UV Islands dependent on best usage. There is a distortion viewer you can activate within the UV parameters (N Panel in UV section - where you find parameters to change the UV lines, etc.). It is color coordinated from flattened (no distortions) being dark blue through severe distortions being red, with a gamut of yellow/green for the intermediaries describing either compression or expansion (red is either extreme compression, or extreme expansion).

With that being said, why would one want to re-map a Marvelous Designer creation? I have done it on several occasions, but one can not get back to the nearly perfect flattened algorithm employed by MD's UV mapping (already flattened pattern pieces with clearly defined seam lines).

I suggest before any re-mapping attempts, one to open up the mesh in Blender's UV screen and view the mapping (with the distortion viewer even). If it is a matter of consolidating/restructuring (spacing purposes, etc.) the UV map, you can do that in Blender as well without messing up the flattened islands, and then saving out a new OBJ with the enhanced/corrected mapping.

As an aside, that is a beautiful example of UV mapping there, Miss B, and I love the design of your dress...

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
With that being said, why would one want to re-map a Marvelous Designer creation? I have done it on several occasions, but one can not get back to the nearly perfect flattened algorithm employed by MD's UV mapping (already flattened pattern pieces with clearly defined seam lines).

So as the one who started this, I wasn't trying to remap what Marvelous Designer had done, I just couldn't find a way to get the UV layout it created into an image program so that I could do textures, bump maps etc. Why Marvelous Designer doesn't seem to have such a feature? I don't know. But Miss B was helping me to figure out how I could access the layout that Marvelous Designer had created, because you're right, it's a very good UV map.

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
That is a good mini-tut to help those get started UV mapping, and setting up the environment, but don't forget, Blender by default, already has a UV (room/section) set up by default.

Gadget Girl, in the image you posted, the box to the right of the header drop-down selections that says "default" is the room/sections drop-down selection box (click on the arrows section). It will reveal a bunch of different Blender setups (rooms, if you will) that you can switch back and forth from (default being, well, the default "room"). There is a UV one, as well as several others. You can also create your own.

For example; following Miss B's tut, once set up, press the + (plus sign) to the right of the word "default" in that box. It will create a new room/section named default.001 which you can change to whatever you like by clicking on the lettering. Once you have your new room, don't forget to re-save your start-up file (In header "File" drop-down list, or CTRL - U [or whatever is the MAC equivalent of CTRL]). If you do not save your start-up file, when you close Blender you will loose any customization you create.

Another thing; Blender is highly customizable, and except for the default Header (pictured in your post), which is the same in every software across all platforms, all "section" headers (the ones you say are at the bottom) can be switched from bottom to top/vice-versa, and even hidden. To do so, just right click on the header, and you will be presented with options. Choose according to your preferences.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hey DaremoK3, thanks for stopping in and explaining the Angular/Conformal options. I was assuming, from what GG had stated, that Conformal was related to conforming clothing.

That said, I don't usually do clothing modeling in Blender; mostly enviro/prop objects, but in the case of my MD3 dress (thanks for the compliment), I brought it into Blender because I don't like working with Tris, and I wasn't sure if my other modeling app, Silo, has the option to convert Tris to Quads. I'm used to using Quads, so converting the dress to Quads was done in Blender, not MD3. From what I understand, newer versions of MD will have the option to have Quads within it, so bringing it into Blender to convert wouldn't be necessary.

Of course, now that I've gotten used to using Dynamic clothing in Poser, I probably would leave anything new I create in Tris, I just don't necessarily like it for Conforming clothes.

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
Hello, Gadget Girl.

I was typing when you last posted, so this is in response...

I see. I admit, I haven't read your original thread on this, so I assumed she was helping with a re-mapping. Yes, if at all possible, it is best to leave MD's UV islands without redoing the algorithm, but go ahead and move them around till your hearts content within the 1-1 UV space (square UV box), and then re-save your mesh as a new OBJ with the new UV assignment, still keeping the near perfect UV islands intact.

Yeah, the UV parameters of MD does have some shortcomings, but you can overcome them within MD with a little extra work (very little).

I was the one in original MD2 releases (purchased when first came out) who worked with them (convinced them really) on the UV export shortcomings via testing/bug reporting which led them to add a secondary UV export structure; the "Unified" UV export switch.

If you select this upon export, your pattern islands will be encapsulated within an imaginary 1-1 UV square (hence unified), but there is a trade-off to this which is if you texture your work inside MD (including scaling/translating images on your patterns) you will lose all of your scaling/translating work.

In other words, your export will not resemble the texture work within MD, and you will have to recreate your texture work in outside software. The original algorithm utilizes out-of-bounds repeating UV bounds which allows for keeping scale/translation/rotation on your textures. Your exported mesh object will be identical to the one inside MD which is perfect for one off uses, but not for content creation.

For content creation, one needs a unified 1-1 UV map within the bounds of UV space, so others can utilize your mapping as well (texture artists, customers who would like to customize texture sets, etc.).

So, that is the explanation, here is the work-flow technique:

In MD, when you finish your creation, and before export, in the pattern window create a square pattern piece big enough to encapsulate all your pattern pieces (UV islands), and arrange them within (this will be your 1-1 UV space). Once all are arranged perfectly within the square, delete the square (not needed - just a visual aid), and then export your mesh creation and select "unified" under UV section.

There you have it... One-to-one UV mapping set up inside of MD. Mind you, I only have MD2. I have worked in MD3 and MD4 (not 5), but have never upgraded. There might be variances to the end work-flow, but you should have the gist...

Last edited:

Miss B

CV-BEE
In MD, when you finish your creation, and before export, in the pattern window create a square pattern piece big enough to encapsulate all your pattern pieces (UV islands), and arrange them within (this will be your 1-1 UV space). Once all are arranged perfectly with square, delete the square (not needed - just a visual aid), and then export your mesh creation and select "unified" under UV section.
Good information DaremoK3. I'll have to open MD3 again and check it out. ;)

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Yeah, the UV parameters of MD does have some shortcomings, but you can overcome them within MD with a little extra work (very little).

I was the one in original MD2 releases (purchased when first came out) who worked with them (convinced them really) on the UV export shortcomings via testing/bug reporting which led them to add a secondary UV export structure; the "Unified" UV export switch.

If you select this upon export, your pattern islands will be encapsulated within an imaginary 1-1 UV square (hence unified), but there is a trade-off to this which is if you texture your work inside MD (including scaling/translating images on your patterns) you will lose all of your scaling/translating work.

In other words, your export will not resemble the texture work within MD, and you will have to recreate your texture work in outside software. The original algorithm utilizes out-of-bounds repeating UV bounds which allows for keeping scale/translation/rotation on your textures. Your exported mesh object will be identical to the one inside MD which is perfect for one off uses, but not for content creation.

For content creation, one needs a unified 1-1 UV map within the bounds of UV space, so others can utilize your mapping as well (texture artists, customers who would like to customize texture sets, etc.).

So, that is the explanation, here is the work-flow technique:

In MD, when you finish your creation, and before export, in the pattern window create a square pattern piece big enough to encapsulate all your pattern pieces (UV islands), and arrange them within (this will be your 1-1 UV space). Once all are arranged perfectly within the square, delete the square (not needed - just a visual aid), and then export your mesh creation and select "unified" under UV section.

There you have it... One-to-one UV mapping set up inside of MD. Mind you, I only have MD2. I have worked in MD3 and MD4 (not 5), but have never upgraded. There might be variances to the end work-flow, but you should have the gist...

Hmm. So I'm in MD 5 which does have a nice UV guide tool that shows you the square that the will equate to the UV. But I don't seem to get that 1-1 layout. At least not as a file I can access lie a jpg or png. When I export from MD with the Unified UV checked I get three files the .obj file a .mtl file and a second mtl file which it adds _0.mtl to.

This is why I was using Blender. I've stopped texturing in MD except to use a UV layout guide that helps me figure out how to adjust the pattern, because I've had to redo the texturing anyway.

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
Sorry, Gadget Girl...

I should have been clear on that part regarding the UV maps. The UV map is only a data structure within the OBJ file format. They are defined as texture vector coordinates only, and you need a visualizer/exporter such as Blender, UV Mapper, UV-Viewer, etc. to actually create a tangible UV map that you can paint on.

You load the OBJ into the software, and extract a visual UV map to paint in external software.

For Blender, you can immediately paint maps within, and there are other software that does this as well. The other two I mentioned are specifically for UV Viewing and extracting a 2D UV image map to be painted in other software (Photoshop, GIMP, 3D painter software, etc.). Personally, UV-Viewer by Dimension3D is my favorite, but UV Mapper is great as well. Check them out here (both free - well UV Mapper Classic is free version of UV Mapper):

UV-Viewer: Dimension 3D
UV Mapper: UVMapper.com - downloads

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
Miss B:

I'm the same way regarding conforming clothing. I used to create a retopo-ed all quad Sub-D version for conforming clothes alongside my dynamic mesh for use in Poser/DS. Now, my work-flow usually just keeps me working with the dynamic meshes. I found it a waste of my time, and too much extra work for my own use. If I was selling to the masses, then I would definitely package both versions, but for my own needs, I no longer bother with the quad retopos.

And, ever since DAZ included Loop Sub-D algorithm in DS, I don't even have to export my work from MD at a low particle distance. I can leave everything default, Sub-D in DS, and add a Smooth Modifier if needed. Render wise - just as clean as all quad Sub-D. But, then again, I am a NPR man, so I don't really have the needs the average user is expecting.

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
Okay, just want to test the images function of the new forums (since I just re-joined)...

Here is an example of my work with MD. I'm not really into fashion creation, but more for costuming my figures for use in 2D graphic novel work. They are nothing spectacular, but they suit my needs...

Miss B

CV-BEE
NPR stands for National Public Radio, but in 3D graphics it stands for Non-Photorealistic Rendering.