• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Rowan54's Products on Hivewire3D

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I was wondering how you guys were doing up there. Glad to hear you guys are surviving all the snow.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
We didn't lose power, so just are staying home. Hopefully it's going to melt in the next few days!

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Our power keeps blinking. Which is annoying. And a little scary. This is NOT the type of weather you want the power off during. Well, it's annoying ANY time, but subfreezing to barely above and deep snow is particularly nasty. We did without power for 8 days once during freezing weather in winter, and its survivable, but a major problem. And it's only survivable with enough fuel on hand, and right now, we're low due to having already had more than a week of cold weather. (When the snow goes, I'll be out in the woods dragging in fallen branches to cut up for the next batch of firewood.)

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Yikes - yeah, that's been my worry thru this cold spell - we're all electric. We do have a generator, but we would have to shove a cord thru a slightly open window and hope it would work with a space heater. Miss the woodstove we had in our last place.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Waded to the mailbox. The snow is a foot deep out there, except for where the driveway makes a corner at the bottom. That was two feet deep, which is knee deep on me. In normal weather I can go down and back in 10-15 minutes (at a leisurely pace), today it took more than an hour and was extremely hard work. Fell three times. One sitz mark, two knee-drops. The knee drops were in the knee deep snow, because it's very hard to move forwards when it's that deep. I was dragging a sled as well because I was expecting a sizeable package (which wasn't there yet).

Meanwhile, have seen two huge branches go down. Both in places I'd just been working.

And someone harassed the skunk that lives in my house. (No, not my choice to have it here. But you can't trap, shoot, shoo, chase, scare or harass them...because the consequences are horrendous. This leaves almost no way to get it to leave until it wants to.) Fortunately the incident happened in the basement, which we can avoid until the smell thins out a little.
Meanwhile, my neighbor found out that he had a skunk in his closet when he saw the fluffy tail. It was hiding in behind a pile of stuff and coming out to eat the cat food. (Older houses, they have interesting little holes here and there. Stuff gets in.) What makes that skunk even more entertaining, is that he's heard babies squeaking. His indoor cat is ignoring the creature, fortunately.
Both would be little striped skunks. I think the one at my house is the one I've seen occasionally over several years. I call it "Stinky".

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Further update.
Snow is melting. There are bare patches. (Smallish ones, but bare.) My housemate and renter went out and did errands yesterday and as a result the car is stranded halfway up the driveway, which is further than they expected to get. The van, which has traction that'd make short work of the snow, had battery issues and one of the errands was something to fix that.
One of the branches that came down took out my clothes line. My housemate tripped on something hidden under the snow and sprained a wrist. I turned out to have bruises and a cut from my multiple falls in the snow, which would explain why my knees are grumbling at me. And we ran out of cat food because the delivery truck is "delayed due to bad weather". The left over stuff (from a friend because her cats wouldn't eat it) that I gave the cats yesterday was greeted with "how far back do we have to sit to avoid being poisoned by this?"
Well, we've had what is it, 12 days of "adventure" so far? I just want it to be over. Get back to more or less normal.....

Miss B

CV-BEE
Not sounding like fun at all Rowan. Take care of yourself, and hopefully the bare spots get a lot bigger sooner, rather than later.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
LOL, that's exactly what happened to us. We went out today for the first time and the car's halfway up the first of 2 sections of our very steep driveway!!

Please be very careful - it's so slippery out there!

And poor kitties!!!

Miss B

CV-BEE
You take care of yourself too Alisa. I'm so glad we're having a rather dry winter compared to what you folks have experienced recently.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm just waiting for that early spring... and is it early based on the date, or early based on the equinox? Date would mean spring is right around the corner...

Miss B

CV-BEE
March 21st, IIRC. I had a very good friend growing up, whose mother used to kid her all the time, that she was born on the first day of Spring in the middle of the worst Snow storm in over a decade. :D

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I'm in Washington too. Been stuck in the house since the snow started except for when my son came over last week and we went to town and got some essentials. The sloped dirt road leading to my driveway had a couple feet of snow on it at its worst but it's been slowing melting and looks like today someone drove on it. My driveway hasn't been shoveled though.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Further updates.
Well, we had the snow melt bit by bit and reveal crushed plants everywhere. Since the bulk of them were blackberries, this wasn't such a bad thing. There were also minor stressful things happening, all the time. And some not so minor.
March 13 was the day when we saw two mountain lions on the driveway. (I caught a glimpse of one, for most of a second, as a silhouette.) They harassed a neighbor's chickens. The neighbors made the chickens a safer cage inside the garage, and when they opened the door to leave, both of the mountain lions were waiting for them right outside the door.
March 16th was my 65th birthday and I was sick from stress and couldn't eat. So didn't bake myself the cake I wanted. (WAH!) Meanwhile, my next door neighbor (the one with the momma skunk and skunklets living near his kitchen) said the babies were bouncing all over his kitchen when the lights were off and he was trying to figure out how to set up infrared cameras so he could watch the fun.

Then the 19th....I was supposed to leave to go on a week's adventure with my best friend (a MUCH NEEDED vacation by this time, trust me) and I was still sick. And I got up and found that the refrigerator had died. Instead of finishing my packing, I was moving stuff to the backup refrigerator, and the big freezer.
Then, while resting, there started being racket in the kitchen that sounded like a skunk was here. And my cat started crying. I hunted around for her and then found her with her eyes squeezed shut, gagging and with huge droplets of skunk spray all over her little face. I grabbed her up, dashed into the bathroom, got the faucet on, flushed as much off of her as possible and then patted her face dry. (Yes, she did go all pointed on five ends, but I wasn't holding her by the pointed bits. No scratches.) After I got her face dry and she realized that she no longer had stinky stuff on her, she calmed right down. (I've rescued her before, like from the Flypaper Monster that wrapped around her tail and chased her all over the house. So she's calm about me doing weird things to her, mostly.)
However, bathing the cat in my best pajamas right before going on a major trip had consequences.
After two baths (me), and a full change of clothes, I still smelled like skunk.
You know the friend who had invited me on the trip really likes me....she not only put up with me smelling like skunk all the way to her house (even if she did make jokes), but also washed all of my clothes, and my luggage (I think the cat dripped on them, Jester was on top of it when I found her), and my camera case...while I took two more baths. With a vinegar wipe down. Actually, that got the smell gone. Finally.

Well, it was a lovely trip to the beach, where I got some really spectacular photos of the BEACH AT NIGHT because I was there during the full moon that was on the equinox, and spent most of that night on the beach seeing the tail end of sunset, the full moon and then dawn. And yes, there is going to be a couple new sets of photos go up! I only got back today, I haven't seen all of my photos yet, and I've seen a number of pictures that were just spectacular. I'll figure out which ones to use, and how many sets and get those posted soonishly, I hope!

Well, here I sit, typing, and Little Miss "Dances With Skunks" Jester is trying to snuggle. Unfortunately, she is still "Lightly Scented" and so this is not as happy as it could be. (I'm trying to figure out how to wipe her down with vinegar without getting shredded.) And so, I'll end this update and get back to sorting photos.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Have you tried tomato juice? When I was in the boy scouts, that's what they said was good for getting rid of skunk odor. Cat might not mind that as much.

Dana

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
I do have tomato juice, but the same issues apply as to the vinegar....it's wet. This cat minds ANYTHING that's wet. Unfortunately.

Hornet3d

Wise
I do have tomato juice, but the same issues apply as to the vinegar....it's wet. This cat minds ANYTHING that's wet. Unfortunately.

I have a dog that is like that, wlaks around puddles and hates being bathed when he has had a run in a muddy field. Sounds like you have an exciting time coming up, best of luck.

Sorry to hear you have been unwell but glad you managed to get away for a break. Look forward to seeing the new set when the reach the store.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Yikes. Happy birthday, though I know it wasn't...so much. Hope you can rid Jester of the smell. Our cats also HATED getting wet...we had to wrap them in towels to protect ourselves from being scratched to death if we needed to wash them.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
If all else fails, it'll wear off, eventually.

And my best friend's daughter did present me with a small chocolate cake (actually with candles and a music box), so I did get a birthday, eventually, even if it was 3 days late....and the trip was one heck of a present!