• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Remember These???

Stezza

Dances with Bees
My brother used to be really into the CB radio craze. I remember the first time it actually came in handy. We had a flat tire, but no spare. He was able to call a tow truck who repaired the flat for us and we drove off.
View attachment 71443

I was a total CB'er back in the 70's ... here in Oz it was illegal which made it even more exciting not to get caught by the RI's

I talked to other users all over the world and we exchanged QSL cards ( which I still have ) .. was an awesome time :cool:

eclark1894

Visionary
I was a total CB'er back in the 70's ... here in Oz it was illegal which made it even more exciting not to get caught by the RI's

I talked to other users all over the world and we exchanged QSL cards ( which I still have ) .. was an awesome time :cool:
Okay, I have to ask... why would it be illegal?

Stezza

Dances with Bees
all transmission signals back then ( downunder ) needed to be licensed.. heck, we even had to have a TV licence to watch TV

Just one of those things ... it was legalised to have CB around 1978 or so.. my first licence number I still remember NBD490 .. cost $10 for the license!

I modelled my first sideband CB radio (( a Super Panther ) illegal one )) I had back in 1975

eclark1894

Visionary
all transmission signals back then ( downunder ) needed to be licensed.. heck, we even had to have a TV licence to watch TV

Just one of those things ... it was legalised to have CB around 1978 or so.. my first licence number I still remember NBD490 .. cost $10 for the license!

I modelled my first sideband CB radio (( a Super Panther ) illegal one )) I had back in 1975

I find that somewhat scary, but amusing to think that you have to have a license just to watch tv. You don't need a license in the US to have and use a CB radio, but you do for a HAM or amatuer radio. I do have a commercial radio license that I got back in my 20s, but I used to be in commercial radio.

robert952

Brilliant
Can't forget these!!! Played all three. Owned the last two.
View attachment 71436 View attachment 71437 View attachment 71438
When growing up, game playing as a family was a big and regular thing. Of all these you listed I had all at one time except Concentration (not sure how we missed that one). I played but was never any good at backgammon. Checkers was ok, average player. I played chess in high school (1968-70) and was number 2 player in the state among high school players. I think I established I am still a game player though mostly video/computer.

I still get a play by play on a play by mail (PBM) game of Diplomacy (a lot like Risk except no dice rolls - pure strategy; number of armies and your trust in your 'allies.') I keep playing with the idea of getting back into that game...just can't quite commit. PBM a complete game takes 3-6 months depending on how much "civil disorder arises" from players who don't send in their moves in a timely manner.

robert952

Brilliant

I'll see your DSB rig and raise it by an antenna that on the ground was illegal (rear element over 20 ft) and put that antenna on a 40 ft tower. FOr the uniniated: antenna was not to be more than 20 ft over the structure it was on and could not be mounted on any structure for the sole purpose of a CB antenna (i.e. an antenna tower). We under engineered the first tower and a storm took it down. We did better on the second one.

Terre

Renowned
When growing up, game playing as a family was a big and regular thing. Of all these you listed I had all at one time except Concentration (not sure how we missed that one). I played but was never any good at backgammon. Checkers was ok, average player. I played chess in high school (1968-70) and was number 2 player in the state among high school players. I think I established I am still a game player though mostly video/computer.

I still get a play by play on a play by mail (PBM) game of Diplomacy (a lot like Risk except no dice rolls - pure strategy; number of armies and your trust in your 'allies.') I keep playing with the idea of getting back into that game...just can't quite commit. PBM a complete game takes 3-6 months depending on how much "civil disorder arises" from players who don't send in their moves in a timely manner.
Never played Diplomacy PBM. Played it a lot and also Avalon Hill's Civilization in person with friends in Albuquerque. Klutz that I am I wasn't allowed to have a glass of water near the table when playing Civ. Twice I caused the Great Flood. fortunately on both occasions we were about to end the game as it was getting very late so everyone just laughed.

robert952

Brilliant
Never played Diplomacy PBM. Played it a lot and also Avalon Hill's Civilization in person with friends in Albuquerque. Klutz that I am I wasn't allowed to have a glass of water near the table when playing Civ. Twice I caused the Great Flood. fortunately on both occasions we were about to end the game as it was getting very late so everyone just laughed.
LOL. We had a gaming group in Columbia SC. We played a lot of wargames including Diplo, SPI and AH stuff. A few miniature games; mainly naval battles. I have lots of 'war stories' like yours.

BTW, technically it's PBE-M. I have played with this GM since late 80s off and on. About time to consider 'on' again.

eclark1894

Visionary
I had a manual typewriter like this. LONG before they invented word processors and computers, I would be up until the middle of the night typing away on my manual.:D I can remember the stories, but none of the manuscripts survive.
1636431405651.png

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I'll see your DSB rig and raise it by an antenna that on the ground was illegal (rear element over 20 ft) and put that antenna on a 40 ft tower. FOr the uniniated: antenna was not to be more than 20 ft over the structure it was on and could not be mounted on any structure for the sole purpose of a CB antenna (i.e. an antenna tower). We under engineered the first tower and a storm took it down. We did better on the second one.

sweet... we used to go up into the mountain onto a bush track and with a home made 3 element beam ( totally illegal ) and a battery pack we would point it to the States... got lot's of contacts especially if we used a kicker to help it along :whistling: :devil"

My 4 watt radio used to take out the next door neighbour's TV when I was talking in the driveway... had to scamper off a few times :cool:

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I find that somewhat scary, but amusing to think that you have to have a license just to watch tv. You don't need a license in the US to have and use a CB radio, but you do for a HAM or amatuer radio. I do have a commercial radio license that I got back in my 20s, but I used to be in commercial radio.

yep.. TV licenses were eventually trashed in the 60's sometime, can't remember exactly but CB radio in Oz was illegal, amateur radio needs a license, I had to buy my first CB radio from a local electronics store using code so that he knew he could sell it to me from under the counter... :whistling:
it was all secret stuff...

total riff raff we were.. the radio inspectors used to drive around all the time, you could tell them as their car was loaded with all types of tracking antennas.

we were all bandits getting chased by smokies all the time... :eek:

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I saw someone mention wargames and miniature games. Does anyone else here remember these:

eclark1894

Visionary
I saw someone mention wargames and miniature games. Does anyone else here remember these:
The names sound familiar, but I was never into computer games. Doom was probably the highest tech game I ever played. Actually, I was really into Wolfenstein at one point.
1636455874973.png

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
I started a thread like this over at Rendo a couple of weeks ago. Apparently eerybody didn't appreciate it, so I thought I see what the reaction was over her at Hivewire.
Remember these? Speak out if you do!!!

View attachment 66543
Was it Laffy Taffy? I remember it about pulled your teeth out. We sucked on them til they were soft enough to make the end all stringy.

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
I had a manual typewriter like this. LONG before they invented word processors and computers, I would be up until the middle of the night typing away on my manual.:D I can remember the stories, but none of the manuscripts survive.
View attachment 71447

I think there's a Frisbee Golf group in Raleigh area. I did know where a couple of courses were, but can't recall now.
My nephew lives in the Bay area just north of San Francisco, and it's a big sport there. There are teams, competitions, etc. He's amazing at it.