• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Remember These???

eclark1894

Visionary
I think I've had this a grand total of Once in my life. :)

1609807427035.png

McGyver

Energetic
Why would someone object to a thread about candies?

I remember those bubble gum cigars... I think I’m still gustatorily traumatized by the “banana” flavored one.
I’m serious, I looked at the photo and like forty eight years later I still can recall the taste.

The Zero bars were good... I do occasionally see them by the register at Walmart, but I’m afraid to buy them because they may not taste the way they used to.
A lot of candies have changed slightly over time... especially stuff with chocolate or stuff that was bought out by another company... some stuff is still close, some stuff is just nasty.

Suzy-Qs for example I used to love those, but whatever the hell they did to them since the 80s seems to have made the cake part taste like an old floor sponge someone was using to clean off landing gear funk, and the cream like taste stale lithium grease.
I bought a box because my daughters said they never had them and they were totally grossed out by them, so I tried one and was like “what the hell!?”
I know they were not exactly natural tasting to begin with, but it’s like this was an alien life form’s interpretation of the original product, based on a single photo, not knowing what humans eat, so they constructed it out of similarly colored artificial materials.

I think the worst part was the cake part... that was just like “NO”...
I actually didn’t even finish it, and I’m the kinda person who will eat all sorts of terrible stuff trying to figure out what exactly is repulsing me...
“Ew... is it the garlicky sulfur aftertaste...? No, it’s the metallic copper/rotten milk with hint of cabbage... no... hmm... better keep eating this... I need to figure out which part is making me dizzy...”

Sorry... I’m derailing this all over my indignant assault on the new taste of a snack cake.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Zero bars do still taste the same. I get them now and then, just not too often because, well, sugar.

Dana

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
LOOVVVE NECCO! My favorites were Clove (light purple), Cinnamon (white), Wintergreen (pink), and Chocolate (brown).

I'd eat the flavors I didn't like first (Lime, Lemon, Orange, and Licorice), then savored Clove, Cinnamon, Wintergreen, and Chocolate last. I'm not sure why I liked Chocolate so much. It certainly didn't taste anything like Chocolate.

I absolutely hated when I got a roll with a lot of the flavors I disliked (especially Lime /shudder) and not many of the flavors I loved.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Nope, nope, nope! Anything with marshmallow is a waste of calories. Even more insulting is covering the disgusting cookie and marshmallow in chocolate. What?!?

Now, Butterfingers!

However, this is a case of bigger is not better. The bigger the Butterfinger, the harder it is to eat it without the candy bar crumbling to bits because it's stale. Rather like attempting to eat an ice cream cone with more than one scoop in 90+ degree weather before the ice cream drips all over your hands and clothing. I remember sitting on benches in Nantucket while trying to eat ice cream cones in the summer and finally giving up because my hands were covered in melted ice cream.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Oooh, yeah, Butterfingers! That was my first favorite candy. My parents had despaired getting me to like ANY candy and I was about 8 or 10 and finally someone gave me one of these and I loved it. So we had lots of them after that.

Flint_Hawk

Extraordinary
I loved Butterfingers & still do.

Does anyone remember the black licorice Records? (Thin black licorice ribbon wound around & around, with a candy center. They did look like little records.) They were in an open box at the checkout. You just reached in and got them - no wrappers involved. It's a wonder we survived!

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Never heard of those. Eventually I discovered licorice, and liked the black licorice.
Just think of what strong immune systems that we developed!

eclark1894

Visionary
LOOVVVE NECCO! My favorites were Clove (light purple), Cinnamon (white), Wintergreen (pink), and Chocolate (brown).

I'd eat the flavors I didn't like first (Lime, Lemon, Orange, and Licorice), then savored Clove, Cinnamon, Wintergreen, and Chocolate last. I'm not sure why I liked Chocolate so much. It certainly didn't taste anything like Chocolate.

I absolutely hated when I got a roll with a lot of the flavors I disliked (especially Lime /shudder) and not many of the flavors I loved.
All this talk about Neccos, and now I want some! Have to go down to the store in the morning and see if they have any. :p

DanaTA

Distinguished
I loved Butterfingers & still do.

Does anyone remember the black licorice Records? (Thin black licorice ribbon wound around & around, with a candy center. They did look like little records.) They were in an open box at the checkout. You just reached in and got them - no wrappers involved. It's a wonder we survived!
Yes, I remember those!

Indeed. Riding our bicycles down steep hills, no helmets. Some did roller skating and skateboards later, no knee pads or helmets. We shared soda. sometimes took bites of the friend's hamburger. We should all be dead! o_O :D

DanaTA

Distinguished
Never heard of those. Eventually I discovered licorice, and liked the black licorice.
Just think of what strong immune systems that we developed!
The long, "shoe lace" licorice. The cherry flavor was pretty good. Didn't care for the black as much. Then came Schwitzer's bars licorice. Shaped like a candy bar. It was black. Had several tubes shapes welded together, sort of. It had a really good taste! I liked that. It was a different texture from the black twists.

Dana

DanaTA

Distinguished
The pumpkins are pretty good, but I like the candy corn with the brown stripe, they have some chocolate flavor in them. I like them better than the orange, yellow and white candy corn.

Dana

eclark1894

Visionary
Oooh, yeah, Butterfingers! That was my first favorite candy. My parents had despaired getting me to like ANY candy and I was about 8 or 10 and finally someone gave me one of these and I loved it. So we had lots of them after that.
I'm not much for Butterfingers, although I don't hate the candy. I just don't care that much for peanuts in my chocolate. That said, I do buy candy bars with peanuts, such as Snickers, Payday, and yes, butterfingers. Do they still make Paydays? They always had WAY too many peanuts for me, so I bought them like every blue moon.
1609956597462.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I think my favorite candy when I was (much) younger, was Milky Way bars, especially at the local movie theaters, where they were extra large. ;)

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Thing was, when I was a little kid, I didn't like candy. Any candy. My parents kept trying to get me to eat it. Generally, I'd taste one and then get creative. The candy corn that my father left in my Xmas stocking, I either used as doll food or left for him. The bag of jelly beans I was given, was used as doll money until a bunch of them got stepped on and ended up sticking to the floor, after which the rest of them vanished.
I remember being about three and having had this fluffy little book about candyland and how all candy was delicious. Then my much older sister hung candy canes all over the tree. I tried one after another, trying to find the one that tasted good and basically got yelled at for having opened a half dozen of them and taken one taste each. (I was only trying to find the one that tasted good.)
I finally told my parents that if they actually wanted me to *eat* the stuff they put in my stocking, or on the tree, to make it oranges and walnuts. I'd *eat* those. Which is why we had those on Xmas after that.
Meanwhile, I was about ten when they discovered that I'd eat Butterfinger bars. I liked peanut butter and I liked chocolate. So they were a hit., and something we could pop into our packs to go hiking that were actually food as well as small and easy to carry.
It was much much later for the Sweet Tarts (teenager, I might have had 4 or 5 boxes total of them), and a few other things (wintergreen losenges).
Most of the other things you guys have mentioned, I had maybe one taste of, if that much.
However, these days, it's mostly just dark chocolate.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Paydays (which are still made and sold) may be my second favorite candy bar after Butterfingers. I love the salty peanuts and caramel.