• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Remember These???

eclark1894

Visionary
And as long as I brought it up...
I picked this picture for a reason. It reminds me of the store in our neighborhood when I was a kid. The store is gone now, but the building is still there. Housing another store. I curious to know now whether that cupola on top of the roof is still there. I'll have to check in the morning and let you know.
View attachment 70286
Just got back to the house, but I did check out the building as I said i would. The cupola is gone at the top of the roof, but the roof still has the same basic shape and style. The store is a Dollar Tree now.

DanaTA

Distinguished
My mother used to collect these! I also seem to remember a Brady Bunch episode about the kids collecting a similar product.

View attachment 70288
I have a pine bookcase that I got with S&H Green Stamps and built when I first got married. Still have it! Filled with books! Got a desk, too. Gave that to one of my sisters many years ago. I used to buy blank cassette tapes with them, too, before I started to get better quality tapes.

Dana

eclark1894

Visionary
Remember these...?
1625962386161.png

eclark1894

Visionary
Anybody remember this game? I never owned it, but I used to go to the park every summer and play it. We'd go to the park everyday an play all sorts of games like pool, basketball, horseshoes and this game. I know what's called now, but I didn't back then.
1626009287885.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
It looks like a sort of chess set, though the pieces are torus shaped rather than actual chess set shaped pieces.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Looks like several games on one board, checkers, parchisi, and I don't understand the nets in the corners.

Dana

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The nets were for Billiards. You flicked or used the cue sticks to knock pieces into the nets. The reverse side of the board was used for other games.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Anybody remember this game? I never owned it, but I used to go to the park every summer and play it. We'd go to the park everyday an play all sorts of games like pool, basketball, horseshoes and this game. I know what's called now, but I didn't back then.
View attachment 70299
not sure of the proper spelling, Carms (Karms, Karrams...something like that - never saw it written out). My father used yo play it with the family, I still have the main board and some other pieces (there was some other type of game on the flip side, and there were additional wooden boards that added on top for different games but those got damaged in the basement flooding following the pipes freezing)..

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Looks like several games on one board, checkers, parchisi, and I don't understand the nets in the corners.

Dana
Each player had a shooter, and the goal was to sink all of a specific color and end by sinking the black one. There were some rules that remind me of pool too (regarding sinking the black early or sinking your shooter).

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
We called to Carroms. I remember playing it by flicking them with your fingers. But there was a cue stick as well.

eclark1894

Visionary
We called to Carroms. I remember playing it by flicking them with your fingers. But there was a cue stick as well.
Jodel is right. It was called Carroms. But Satira and Kage got it right too, on how e played it. I used to play it two ways, but on different sides. on one side we'd play it like pool with the cue sticks. On the other side we'd play it like a mix of marbles and pool but with your hands. You'd slide the white piece, using it like a cue ball to knock the red or green pieces into the nets. Whoever knocked all of their pieces into the net first, and then the black piece would win the game.

robert952

Brilliant
Yep... some versions had a backgammon board on one side and checker board on the other. This looks like at least a variation of backgammon around the edges. I never understood backgammon until I was in adulthood.

robert952

Brilliant
:rofl: AOL disks! OMG, yes, they were everywhere.

I even got one in the box of my 'in-flight meal' on an airline. It actually tasted better than the meal.

I ended up getting a second phone line just for my phone modem and to use AOL with out disrupting phone calls.

Now to AOL and get redirected to Yahoo. Oh well, life goes on .

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I never played Backgammon until I was an adult and discovered it on The Sierra Network (later the ImagiNation Network).

eclark1894

Visionary
:rofl: AOL disks! OMG, yes, they were everywhere.

I even got one in the box of my 'in-flight meal' on an airline. It actually tasted better than the meal.

I ended up getting a second phone line just for my phone modem and to use AOL with out disrupting phone calls.

Now to AOL and get redirected to Yahoo. Oh well, life goes on .
I used to spend a lot of time on AOL, which meant I was online a lot, which was a problem because no one could use the phone or call in to the house while I was online. My sister used to complain a lot that she couldn't reach us. Finally, my cable company started delivering internet connections, and I've been connected ever since.

eclark1894

Visionary
Remember this? Did you ever play? Our game (board?) usually went up to ten sometimes to twelve. I think it depended on who was drawing. Most of the time we'd use a piece of glass or rock to toss, mostly because it was what was available. Do kids still play this?
1626176831904.png

eclark1894

Visionary
You know, I just came to an interesting realization about my childhood. It is divided into two separate and distinct divisions based almost directly on the decades. There's the 1960s, and there's the 1970s. I was born in 1958, so my "childhood" was basically completely in the 60s. When I was twelve, we moved to the house I live in today. That was in the 1970s. Basically, my high school years, and college were all based in the 1970s.