• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Question about human textures

What is your preference, when you are looking for characters, as to how realistic human skins are?

• Super Real - Let me see those pores and pock-marks!

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Airbrushed - Like a real person in a fashion magazine!

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Cartoon/Manga - Take 'em down to a couple of colors!

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Pixar like - Almost airbrushed, but not quite that real.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Real/Photographic - Reach out and touch!

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • Painted Real - Vallejo/Rojas would be proud!

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I agree Dreamer. Now I don't mind seeing beauty marks, freckles and such, but pockmarks and scars . . . nah. Nothing beautiful about that, even on a male character.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Ah see Miss B I like the pockmarks and scars, particularly on the males, makes 'em a bit more "real" instead of pretty boy hollywood pinups that never lived in the real world ;)

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
My opinion, of course, being a beautician by trade, is that I generally prefer the air-brushed look. It can have freckles or beauty marks, but I don't like the "extras" unless you are telling a story with a scar. But, I'm always trying to make people perfected (for themselves, not making them all the same like dolls), so it bugs me when there are too many pores, blemishes, etc! lol. I'm thinking, honey, lets fix your brows and put a little make up on, just a touch, you can look better than natural, or we can really go all out for clubbing and insta-gramming."

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ah see Miss B I like the pockmarks and scars, particularly on the males, makes 'em a bit more "real" instead of pretty boy hollywood pinups that never lived in the real world ;)
Oh I don't necessarily want a "pretty boy" for my male characters, but as Dak said, scars are fine if they're part of a story you're trying to portray. I just don't necessarily want scars on my characters all the time.

Besides, just because a male character doesn't have a scar, that doesn't automatically make him a pretty boy ready for a Hollywood pinup. ;)

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
very true :) just guess sometimes it feels like all you can find are the ones the look too perfect, 9/10 I don't ever use the makeups the come with most of the female skins unless there is some thing that is just a hint of eyeliner and some time lip colour as most of the time I am doing renders where makeup would look really out of place.
I like having options even for the scars as as you both pointed out you don't all ways want them, but I am more likely to pick up a character pack that has something "different" ;)

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I like to do a few freckles or a mole or two.
Skin should show some pores unless there is make-up, then it needs the air-brushed look.
As an instructor in beauty school I often wondered why so many really beautiful girls piled on the makeup.
One always wore a full face of makeup, false lashes with tons of mascara and lipstick.
But one day she came in after a few days absence and no makeup on.
That girls was beautiful and we did not at first know her!

To me it should enhance your looks, not make you look like Barbie doll...lol.

For my characters I like a bare face option and then some makeup, gives choices.
For male characters unless he is a pirate with a scar, no I do not do that.
Some beard or stubble but no full beards unless done with a prop or hair room.
I also prefer men with more masculine looks, square jaw lines and such, not pretty boys.
Although pretty boys are nice eye candy. :)

esha

Admirable
Contributing Artist
If skin doesn't look like skin anymore because of all the blurring it's a dealbreaker for me.
Skin has different textures on different parts of the body, for example it's very fine around the eyes and a bit rougher on knees and elbows. If a skin product doesn't show that I don't buy it. Renders tend to look a bit like plastic mannequins anyway, no need to re-inforce that with overly smooth textures.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Renders tend to look a bit like plastic mannequins anyway, no need to re-inforce that with overly smooth textures.
You know esha, that was the main reason I started in 3D with Bryce 4, and never got into Poser 4. Every render I saw back then had character skins looking like plastic.

Thank goodness they've come a long way since then.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
If I did realistic renders, I'd want skins that were fairly realistic. Since I prefer artistic over realistic, photographic skins aren't as important to me. But, I don't want to start with air brushed/fashion magazine skin.

Regardless, I prefer natural eyebrows, rather than heavily plucked. Unless I'm doing a warrior, I don't care for heavily scarred skins. But scars like Jason Momoa's and Lana Parrilla's add depth to the character. And I rather love freckles.

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
When I buy a model it is for the skin- and I like as much detail=information as possible. Then I have the option to smooth, modify, paint, whatever works for the style I want for the picture. I never make photo realistic renders and don't care about that at all. I don't ever buy skins or models that look airbrushed because it closes down my options for techniques I can use in the render.

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
10003489_255519007959749_1400393329_n.jpg
Oh I don't necessarily want a "pretty boy" for my male characters, but as Dak said, scars are fine if they're part of a story you're trying to portray. I just don't necessarily want scars on my characters all the time.

Besides, just because a male character doesn't have a scar, that doesn't automatically make him a pretty body ready for a Hollywood pinup. ;)
\

I agree Miss B- I only buy scarred if there is an option to not show it. And really dislike big obvious mole patterns like the new Mei Lin 8. So I guess what I look for is obvious and real looking pores and skin texture that looks photoreal not painted.

It's funny that looking at close ups of some vendor's skins you can see that they use the same one with a couple changes over and over again.

One of my daughter's is a model and it is amazing how they spend all their time trying to look as fake as a rendered girl : )

Willowisp

Adventurous
What is most important for me is that the texture is made from real maps, from real people, with properly mapped bump maps. Procedural skin and skin made from tiles will never look real (to me anyway).
Sidenote: I wish more character vendors would leave the eyebrows off the maps, so we could add our own to better suit any occasion.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I always include a face map with no eyebrows, lipstick or makeup so purchasers can add their own. :)
with male characters, if I do a bearded look I do a no facial hair map as well.
And that map also has no blemishes or freckles so you can add your own if you like. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
What is most important for me is that the texture is made from real maps, from real people, with properly mapped bump maps. Procedural skin and skin made from tiles will never look real (to me anyway).
Sidenote: I wish more character vendors would leave the eyebrows off the maps, so we could add our own to better suit any occasion.
Or at least have them separate so you can choose to use them or make your own. There are several vendors who have eyebrow brushes that are very nice, but you can't use them unless you're building the skin texture from scratch.