• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Question about human textures

What is your preference, when you are looking for characters, as to how realistic human skins are?

• Super Real - Let me see those pores and pock-marks!

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Airbrushed - Like a real person in a fashion magazine!

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Cartoon/Manga - Take 'em down to a couple of colors!

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Pixar like - Almost airbrushed, but not quite that real.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Real/Photographic - Reach out and touch!

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • Painted Real - Vallejo/Rojas would be proud!

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I like them to be realistic. I like a bare faced one very realistic, I don't mind the makeup faces being a little airbrushed looking like real makeup (as long as it doesn't really take away what makes the character unique).

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
It's very interesting to read all these replies. I personally don't _generally_ find makeup prettier at all. More striking, but also more fake and therefore often less attractive. I tend to like no makeup photos as much or more than ones with.

In fact, I tend to be able to gauge how good a movie is by how much makeup they put on their female actors, depending on the situation. When a post-apocalyptic warrior looks like she just got out the beauty salon, or a medieval maid looks like she's about to go out on the catwalk, then it breaks both my suspension of disbelief and my enjoyment. I want to see the actress, not the makeup artist's work.

Which isn't to say I'm trying for tons of flaws in my artwork, either. At least not so far.

My Lady Rose is my first character, so it's hard for me to say how much I succeeded in what I tried to do. I gave her a default base that was her without any makeup, and therefore some variation in pigmentation on her skin, darkening and reddening around her eyes, and other aspects that I found in my references for her skin tone. I used both photo resources and hand painting to try to match the bare-faced references I hunted the web for. I tried to balance realism and artistic effect in both her texture and shading. Then when it came to make up, I looked for whole faces I liked. So I didn't end up with interchangeable lips and such. Each set is foundation, brows, eye shadow, eyeliner, and lipstick together. The last one I used Liv Tyler's Lord of the Rings makeup as a reference, because I thought it was a perfect balance for fantasy renders.

I also made the brows a separate mask. V4's extra geometry makes morphs more problematic and would probably mess up SSS shading in Superfly. Cycles has an issue with transparent areas in SSS- I contacted Brecht about it and it can only be fixed by using the new random walk method that Superfly doesn't support. And just in general, you don't want to add geometry when you don't need it. It was dead easy to setup both Firefly and Superfly materials with a brow mask that allows my Rose's brows to be any color you want them to be.

I made Lady Rose the type of character I'd want to buy. I pretty much never find one that has a bare-faced option that doesn't look airbrushed, and I almost never never find one that has brows that can change color to match hair.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
though I don't do much closeup work I prefer more realistic skins and morphs/shapes for my work. Human skin is splotchy and modulated not perfectly smooth and blemish free. Even at a distance it shows if well done. Would be nuce to get super hi res textures for those closeup and a second set of lower res textures with same realistic modulation throughout for the full body medium and wide iview images. I hate bikini lines and it the artist can offer with hair and without hair I jump for joy.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
That was one thing I did like with V4 was the separate brow material
Hm!? Never got ANY textures for V$ with separate brow materials. I got the A to Z texture set for v2 and that was a great value offering many skin options within one set but never found something similar for V4. Which set offers this option?

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
View attachment 43041 \

I agree Miss B- I only buy scarred if there is an option to not show it. And really dislike big obvious mole patterns like the new Mei Lin 8. So I guess what I look for is obvious and real looking pores and skin texture that looks photoreal not painted.

It's funny that looking at close ups of some vendor's skins you can see that they use the same one with a couple changes over and over again.

One of my daughter's is a model and it is amazing how they spend all their time trying to look as fake as a rendered girl : )
Hell they even have airbrush make up applicators now fo the same look. Add to that the spray-on suntan and voila Plastic is chic!

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Hm!? Never got ANY textures for V$ with separate brow materials. I got the A to Z texture set for v2 and that was a great value offering many skin options within one set but never found something similar for V4. Which set offers this option?
Danged if I can remember now, its been that long since I used V4. I know I did on my own sets but beyond that I can't recall though I know I had some