• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Pulling back the Drapes: The Cloth Room

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have found that each item I try to sim is different. I have been playing with dynamic clothing for a few months now, and the latest was just the other day. It took me a few hours to finally get the Cloth Room settings so that the 2 pieces of the outfit simmed the way I wanted, and still looked good when I re-simmed after I changed the character's pose.

I'd be curious to see the settings you have Rokket. As Pen said, different material drapes differently, and in some cases it's just tweaking one or two settings to get what you want.

Last edited:

Rokket

Dances with Bees
This file is a list of the common settings for the cloth sim. It shows what settings you need for most common cloth types. I got from a thread at Renderosity, but finding the post again would be a task in itself. I'll be online with my laptop in a few hours, so I'll post it then.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
OK. With the time difference, I'll probably be off line, as I need to get up earlier than usual tomorrow, so I'll check it out tomorrow.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
There used to be a plugin for Poser 6 that simplified the Cloth Room parameters by using an interface we could understand. I think it was called something like the "Cloth Room Assistant", or something in that line. Instead of asking us to guess the numbers, it would instead have presets for things like silk, denim, cotton, rubber, leather, etc. It would then set all the necessary parameters in the Cloth Room, so we could use it as a starting point and do the tweaking from there.

I remember the Cloth Room used to have some issues with the plugin because some parameters had bugs and could not be changed or reset once they were changed. If we changed them, there was no way to change them again until Poser was restarted. Since the problem was with Poser, I think the plugin was no longer being updated, and stopped working in Poser 7 and later.

Rokket

Dances with Bees
Cloth-settings.jpg

Here are the settings, as promised.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
There used to be a plugin for Poser 6 that simplified the Cloth Room parameters by using an interface we could understand. I think it was called something like the "Cloth Room Assistant", or something in that line. Instead of asking us to guess the numbers, it would instead have presets for things like silk, denim, cotton, rubber, leather, etc. It would then set all the necessary parameters in the Cloth Room, so we could use it as a starting point and do the tweaking from there.

I remember the Cloth Room used to have some issues with the plugin because some parameters had bugs and could not be changed or reset once they were changed. If we changed them, there was no way to change them again until Poser was restarted. Since the problem was with Poser, I think the plugin was no longer being updated, and stopped working in Poser 7 and later.

I think you are referring to PhilC's Cloth Room Presets? Cloth Room Presets for Poser 6

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
I think you are referring to PhilC's Cloth Room Presets? Cloth Room Presets for Poser 6

THANK YOU for posting the link!!!! I have had those (and used those) for a long time, but I couldn't remember where I got them from. For those who never read the included instructions, you have to apply the presets from the "Material" Room in order for them to work. If someone knows why, I would be interested... Also, if someone knows how to create something similar, I would be doubly interested...

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Just a quick "random" post, based on a discovery I just made, in case anyone is interested:

You CAN "animate" a Genesis 3 figure in Poser (pre-Poser 11) in order to make use of the benefits of Poser's cloth room plus the "benefits" of Genesis 3.

It's a long, complicated process, and is more of a work-around than anything else, but the sim ran without any problems. I exported Victoria 7 as an obj file on frame 1, and then exported her as an obj file in the final position. I also fit her dress on frame 1 in Studio using the Transfer Utility, and exported the dress (originally made for Victoria 4) as an obj as well. In Poser, I loaded the Victorian Object exported from frame 1, and then loaded the "posed" Victorian Object as a morph target. On frame 1, my pose morph was set to "0", on frame 30, my pose morph was set to "1". I then loaded and clothify-ed the dress object, set it it collide with my Victorian Object, and ran the simulation.

I did recently purchase the new dynamic cloth-making plug-in for DAZ Studio, but DAZ dynamic cloth doesn't have "constrained," "choreographed," or "decorated" groups, and poke-through is still my enemy in Studio ("his" shirt and vest are Studio dynamics, "her" dress is Poser dynamic. This scene is still a work in progress, but I thought I would post the results of my recent findings...
brandil 004.png

There's a whole story behind it, but that will have to wait until the scene is finished...(and poke-through free!)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Last time I've tried dynamic cloth in DS, it would pokethru every time I tried to use it in animations. I then read the manual, and it clearly states it was *not* meant to be work with animations, and recommends against it. When I think of it, dynamic cloth that doesn't work with animations is rather ironic, but generally speaking, DS animation tools are not the greatest either. There are many things DS does well, but dynamic cloth with animations is not part of it.