• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser sold to Rendo

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Looks like there may be a few other things to sort out before the dust settles. I've just started Poser to carry on with a couple of images I've been working on. No problems since the update with everything hunky-dory...until this time. Double-clicking on the icon resulted in Poser refusing to start with the message: UNABLE TO CONTACT LICENSE SERVER! You must have an Internet connection to renew your lease! It only started up after I went online. I was under the impression that this had been sorted out! Apparently not!

Semicharm

Eager
Looks like there may be a few other things to sort out before the dust settles. I've just started Poser to carry on with a couple of images I've been working on. No problems since the update with everything hunky-dory...until this time. Double-clicking on the icon resulted in Poser refusing to start with the message: UNABLE TO CONTACT LICENSE SERVER! You must have an Internet connection to renew your lease! It only started up after I went online. I was under the impression that this had been sorted out! Apparently not!
Good thing I was feeling lazy after sorting through the latest round of zips and skipped the program update.

Hornet3d

Wise
I have not updated since the original download on the 19th Sept which took my installation to 11.2.272. I know there are nightly updates as they clean up some stuff but I didn't think were were meant to download those. I have turned off 'periodically check for updates' for that reason, maybe I am wrong but I run on the 'if it ain't broke don't try to fix it rule'.

RobZhena

Adventurous

Jenn Blake posted in the official forum about how to make the Bondware version permanent: We can...you need to request it be done...just like you did with SM. Just submit a ticket for it.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Jenn Blake posted in the official forum about how to make the Bondware version permanent: We can...you need to request it be done...just like you did with SM. Just submit a ticket for it.
Thanks Rob, I was JUST about to post the same thing.

I have not updated since the original download on the 19th Sept which took my installation to 11.2.272. I know there are nightly updates as they clean up some stuff but I didn't think were were meant to download those. I have turned off 'periodically check for updates' for that reason, maybe I am wrong but I run on the 'if it ain't broke don't try to fix it rule'.
Those "nightly" updates are for Early Adopters and Beta Testers ONLY!! I've been in touch with Jenn, and one of the things she said to me was they would probably be updating the software installation files for the general public "about once a week" for a while. I'm assuming that's until everyone has updated with the Bondware versions of the software, and all are connecting to their servers easily from now on.

There will also be some updating of the content zips, as those were probably done too quickly, and need cleaning up, as it were.

Hornet3d

Wise
Thanks Rob, I was JUST about to post the same thing.

Those "nightly" updates are for Early Adopters and Beta Testers ONLY!! I've been in touch with Jenn, and one of the things she said to me was they would probably be updating the software installation files for the general public "about once a week" for a while. I'm assuming that's until everyone has updated with the Bondware versions of the software, and all are connecting to their servers easily from now on.

There will also be some updating of the content zips, as those were probably done too quickly, and need cleaning up, as it were.

Thanks, I have a natural aversion to update software that is working unless I know I have to so I was going to stick with my working version of 11.2.272 but it is nice to know I ma doing what I should be doing something my wife would agree is a rare occurrence.

Semicharm

Eager
I was going to do beta testing, but I don't see a way to install a beta separate from my main install. Last I checked, it still wanted to wipe any previous installs first. NOPE! I'd be out of commission till they fix it or have to reinstall the previous good build all over again and be out of the beta loop till the next go around.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Sorry but have I missed something here? I don't usually frequent Rendo' forums often. Fortunately, others do otherwise I'd have been left completely in the dark and (presumably) eventually bereft of the Poser 11 Pro upgrade I paid for. As I recall one of the main selling points of this update was to 'fix' the problems with SM underhanded licensing system. Now it would seem that Rendo/Bondware has simply replaced SM's system with their own identical system which requires me to ask them to fix the supposed fix they have already (claimed to have) dealt with? And here was me thinking we'd seen the last of those silly licensing games with the sale!

Hornet3d

Wise
Sorry but have I missed something here? I don't usually frequent Rendo' forums often. Fortunately, others do otherwise I'd have been left completely in the dark and (presumably) eventually bereft of the Poser 11 Pro upgrade I paid for. As I recall one of the main selling points of this update was to 'fix' the problems with SM underhanded licensing system. Now it would seem that Rendo/Bondware has simply replaced SM's system with their own identical system which requires me to ask them to fix the supposed fix they have already (claimed to have) dealt with? And here was me thinking we'd seen the last of those silly licensing games with the sale!

I have hated the 'phone home' feature from the moment SM slipped it quietly into Game Dev, primarily because of all the grief it is causing at the moment, something that was so easy to predict if Poser was sold. My other complaint was, like many such systems it caused grief for those that paid for Poser while, I suspect, the pirates would have found so way around it and continue to use it for free. I am not sure if this is quick fix forced upon Bondware as part of the deal to buy Poser or if Bondware intend to keep this system in the longer term. It would be sad if they do keep it but, in fairness, I doubt they have got their head fully around Poser yet and they do seem to be doing a great job so far. I understand how annoying it is and I also know you are not alone in having issues like this but many, me included, have yet to see the issue so I do not know why there is a difference.

I hope they sort it for you soon so you can get with using Poser rather than play the Poser version of Russian Roulette each time you try to launch the program.

Semicharm

Eager
BTW do you have the install for the original release from last week?

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I have hated the 'phone home' feature from the moment SM slipped it quietly into Game Dev, primarily because of all the grief it is causing at the moment, something that was so easy to predict if Poser was sold. My other complaint was, like many such systems it caused grief for those that paid for Poser while, I suspect, the pirates would have found so way around it and continue to use it for free. I am not sure if this is quick fix forced upon Bondware as part of the deal to buy Poser or if Bondware intend to keep this system in the longer term. It would be sad if they do keep it but, in fairness, I doubt they have got their head fully around Poser yet and they do seem to be doing a great job so far. I understand how annoying it is and I also know you are not alone in having issues like this but many, me included, have yet to see the issue so I do not know why there is a difference.

I hope they sort it for you soon so you can get with using Poser rather than play the Poser version of Russian Roulette each time you try to launch the program.

Yes it is annoying Hornet. I've had to put up with it since I bought Poser 11 on initial release and I was delighted that Rendo made a point of correcting that with this update after I took the step of upgrading to Poser 11 Pro. Or at least they claimed to have! I must admit I was delighted to see Poser under new management and was eager to see the direction Poser was taking with Rendo, especially when they claimed to have dealt with a very sore sticking point like SM's sneaky license 'phone home' system. I regret that that new-found confidence has just taken an almighty dent on realising that the 'new' is nothing more than the old system which seemingly lays waste to Rendo's claims of having dealt with it when the truth is they haven't! Now it appears that the only way to deal with it is to open a request ticket with Rendo support to sort out something they claim to have already dealt with. OK! It's one thing to make an announcement on the official Poser Forum but, in all honesty, how many Poser users are actually going to read it given the comparatively small number of people who visit the forum on a regular basis. Not a lot I should think and we should be grateful to people like RobZhena for keeping us informed. However, that is not his job. That lies with Rendo who should be making sure that everyone who has paid their money and made the upgrade is informed. Unless they do so, I suspect there are going to be a lot of very angry people looking for compensation pretty soon!

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Mac users should not install the 9/23 update, which caused Mac-specific UI problems like stuck floating pallets. That is being rolled back, per Bondware.
Sheitz! I went through all that time getting everything to crawl down the pike (in some case two or three attempts!) to just now have to delete everything and go back and redo it all?! THis is why hate internet software purchases and upgrade. Would rather just get it off a cd or something. If it has problems the software folks that give or sell you the cd are responsible for fixing it and just send you a better working disc. I have super fast internet connection(stream feature lengt films w/o stalls most of the time) but it is alwasy the case of push and pull working together to make the experience worth while and apparently Renderosity has way lot of traffic to slow down or stall through feed enough to make one pull the last few hairs on on his/her head out. As I said HOURS of download, stall, re-download, stall, etc. before i got everything in. :(

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Yes it is annoying Hornet. I've had to put up with it since I bought Poser 11 on initial release and I was delighted that Rendo made a point of correcting that with this update after I took the step of upgrading to Poser 11 Pro. Or at least they claimed to have! I must admit I was delighted to see Poser under new management and was eager to see the direction Poser was taking with Rendo, especially when they claimed to have dealt with a very sore sticking point like SM's sneaky license 'phone home' system. I regret that that new-found confidence has just taken an almighty dent on realising that the 'new' is nothing more than the old system which seemingly lays waste to Rendo's claims of having dealt with it when the truth is they haven't! Now it appears that the only way to deal with it is to open a request ticket with Rendo support to sort out something they claim to have already dealt with. OK! It's one thing to make an announcement on the official Poser Forum but, in all honesty, how many Poser users are actually going to read it given the comparatively small number of people who visit the forum on a regular basis. Not a lot I should think and we should be grateful to people like RobZhena for keeping us informed. However, that is not his job. That lies with Rendo who should be making sure that everyone who has paid their money and made the upgrade is informed. Unless they do so, I suspect there are going to be a lot of very angry people looking for compensation pretty soon!
.....or...angrily migrating to D/S which I have been thinking a lot a LOT lately. If only I was a few years younger (if only my dried up brain was a few years younger or more agile) I would make that transition in a heartbeat. :(

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
A new Mac version is out, 11.2.289.I had the registration box appear and prevent launch the first two times, but the third and fourth times everything was OK.
Rob I downloaded the first Mac stuff but though I downloaded it several times i can not find any of them on my computer. Where does it install these Mac installer files? I have my system download stuff to a folder on the desktop or set the browser preferences to ask where I want the stuff I get off the net to be installed. None of these downlads is in any of those designated places on my computer.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I don't think I'm going to update either, even though I'm on Windows. My computer's working fine as is.
Yes but when does the transfer to Bondware actually DICTATE when you need to upgrade? Because it was made clear we will nOT have any choice and eventually we will not be able to use the SNITCHING app which will ping out to Bondware and tell them you are still using the earlier CP version and get locked out according the License agreements.

Hornet3d

Wise
Sheitz! I went through all that time getting everything to crawl down the pike (in some case two or three attempts!) to just now have to delete everything and go back and redo it all?! THis is why hate internet software purchases and upgrade. Would rather just get it off a cd or something. If it has problems the software folks that give or sell you the cd are responsible for fixing it and just send you a better working disc. I have super fast internet connection(stream feature lengt films w/o stalls most of the time) but it is alwasy the case of push and pull working together to make the experience worth while and apparently Renderosity has way lot of traffic to slow down or stall through feed enough to make one pull the last few hairs on on his/her head out. As I said HOURS of download, stall, re-download, stall, etc. before i got everything in. :(

I did all of the downloads, excluding the old content in less that thirty minutes so I am not sure what the issue is. My download was on or close to the 19th so if anything I would have expected less demand on the server. Sorry to here of your problems though and I hope they sort out because I found the install to be quick and painless.

Hornet3d

Wise
Yes but when does the transfer to Bondware actually DICTATE when you need to upgrade? Because it was made clear we will nOT have any choice and eventually we will not be able to use the SNITCHING app which will ping out to Bondware and tell them you are still using the earlier CP version and get locked out according the License agreements.

Over at Rendo forums there are already reports of Poser failing to launch with an activation failure warning. I guess it is down to each particular installation.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I was going to do beta testing, but I don't see a way to install a beta separate from my main install. Last I checked, it still wanted to wipe any previous installs first. NOPE! I'd be out of commission till they fix it or have to reinstall the previous good build all over again and be out of the beta loop till the next go around.

The installer _suggests_ uninstalling Poser, but you don't have to. I didn't, and it went all fine. There was another update yesterday, and this time I tried uninstalling Poser to see what happens. It preserves all my customizations - even when it claims it will uninstall ALL parts, it doesn't. After uninstalling and installing the update, all of my customizations were still there - nothing was lost. So it seems it makes no difference whether you uninstall or not. It's up to you.

In addition, it asks where you want to install Poser, so you could have more than one, just not the SAME version probably. I have Poser 7, 10 and 11 installed here, and they work fine even when installed in the same hard drive. I don't think you can have more than one Poser 11 installation, though. I have never tried, so I am assuming we can't because [I assume] the configuration will always point to the last installation.

Yes but when does the transfer to Bondware actually DICTATE when you need to upgrade?

It is actually SMS that is bringing down their activation servers, so Rendo is just trying to help you transfer your license management to their server, so you don't get blocked out by SMS. Therefore Bondware is not dictating anything - it is SMS that will cut you off if you don't install the Rendo update. And here again, you DON'T need to uninstall anything. The installer asks you if you want to, but you can just say NO and continue with the installation. It's that simple.

eclark1894

Visionary
I've already updated to 11.2. I was referring to a later build in that particular post.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
After installing yesterday's update, the current Poser version is now 11.2.289. For some reason, it shows as the "GIT_Revision" on the splash screen, whatever that means.

BTW, I started having some keyboard navigation issues with the Poser library since the first 11.2 release from Rendo. On the tree view, when I type a letter, it should jump to the first node that starts with that letter, and it still does, but the selection just remains off-screen. I now have to scroll up and down looking for where it is. I didn't have this issue before - it was introduced by Rendo.

Last edited: