• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser sold to Rendo

Willowisp

Adventurous
The problem with 'standard' material presets is that they are mostly useless. The result of a cloth sim depends mostly on the density of the mesh. Settings that may behave like leather on one skirt, might behave like silk on a different mesh. So asking for 'standard' material preset is pointless.

esha

Admirable
Contributing Artist
That's true, but there usually isn't such a big difference in mesh density. Too low-res won't drape well, too high-res gets unmanageable. So, while there certainly is variation in mesh density, this variation usually happens within limits, which means that for many cases the suggested settings will work fine.

Willowisp

Adventurous
Yea, suggested settings can be a good starting point, but we have to keep in mind that it might not turn out as expected.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The problem with 'standard' material presets is that they are mostly useless. The result of a cloth sim depends mostly on the density of the mesh. Settings that may behave like leather on one skirt, might behave like silk on a different mesh. So asking for 'standard' material preset is pointless.

That's true - cloth sims depend on the mesh topology. Areas with more vertexes will be "heavier" in simulations than others. The same parameters may yield different results on different models. This is even more critical with softbody dynamics with the Bullet engine in Poser. Like Esha said, we can only hope the next clothing will have a similar mesh density, but you never know.

Semicharm

Eager
I'll admit when I first poked my head in there, it was a bit intimidating. I think it's all the dials and settings. It has a bit of an overwhelming feel at first. It's easy for me to work in there now, but I do remember having a lot of trouble getting used to it at the beginning. I ended up crashing my program a LOT, trying to use it at first. Yes, even after reading the manual. I had to figure out what my computer at the time could and could NOT handle.

It's not hard now, but it definitely was a bit tricky at the start. Fortunately, the learning curve is not very long with it. :)
Yeah, crashing in earlier versions is another reason I shied away from using it. Between version and system upgrades that's rarely an issue anymore.

*hugs Satira* :squee:
I enjoyed making that tutorial, it was a labor of love. So glad to know that you found it useful, and that you're even recommending it :flower04:
While doing testing back in the day at RDNA, your cloth room tutorials were considered the standard. ;) Helped all of us a lot, even some of the veterans on the team.

Hornet3d

Wise
Conforming is fast and easy, but I've never liked how conforming skirts/dresses look if there is any movement or the figure is seated.

Dynamic is worth learning if you use skirts and dresses and poses that don't have the figure just standing there.

Esha has both a free tutorial and one that costs. The free one is worth picking up to get a bit of an idea. The paid one is absolutely fantastic and explains each of the settings, as well as the choreographed, constrained, soft decorated, and rigid decorated groups. She also has examples of settings for materials from silk to leather.

I purchased that tutorial and it is certainly well worth the money but without that some of the settings were definitely obscure, to me at least. With that tutorial, and a lot of help and suggestions in this forum, I am relatively comfortable in the cloth room these days. For skirts and dresses it is a must particularly for any movement or you want the garment to interact with furniture like a bed or a seat. A lot of my renders are sci fi related with figures in tight fitting uniforms so the cloth room is of little use for the figure but still great for draping cloth if it is required for the scene.

Hornet3d

Wise
Informative article from Renderosity CEO, Tim Choate.

5 questions about what's next for Poser with CEO Tim Choate

Thank you for posting that, it was very interesting. I particularly liked the comment 'Our dev team is working to re-design the license management system to a more flexible architecture while still honoring previously sold licenses' that was in the other document that has a link on the page you posted.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh, love that history graphic. Nice story, and I'm looking forward to hearing more. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Oh, love that history graphic. Nice story, and I'm looking forward to hearing more. :)

I agree - that Poser timeline was very cool. In so many occasions I was asking myself in what version feature X or Y was added to Poser, but I couldn't remember. I am keeping a copy of that timeline! ^____^

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Someone should add Daz Studio to that timeline so people can see them side by side. ;)

Miss B

CV-BEE
I agree - that Poser timeline was very cool. In so many occasions I was asking myself in what version feature X or Y was added to Poser, but I couldn't remember. I am keeping a copy of that timeline! ^____^
Beat you to it! :cool:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Someone should add Daz Studio to that timeline so people can see them side by side. ;)

DS was first released exactly 10 years after Poser, which makes it easy for me to remember. Poser was released in 1995, and DS in 2005, which coincides (more or less) with the released of Poser 6.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
DS was first released exactly 10 years after Poser, which makes it easy for me to remember. Poser was released in 1995, and DS in 2005, which coincides (more or less) with the released of Poser 6.

Yah but I was thinking what was added when like in the Poser graphic.

Miss B

CV-BEE
That seems about right, because I didn't join DAZ until the Fall of 2004, and I didn't start using DS until it had reached version 2.0. I didn't like any of the earlier versions at all. I was still pretty much a Brycer, because I couldn't get Poser 5 working on the Desktop I had back then.

ibr_remote

Adventurous
(what Ken said etc etc

May I chip in here:
I've exchanged communication with Ken over the years and am also his customer. I think he is specifically calling Poser unsuited for professional animation productions intended for commercial distribution. There are many artists who render professional quality still images using Poser, and it would be an outright insult to call their work non-professional. Also, many merchants create commercial products which must pass a certain quality bar, oftentimes equivalent to professional grade work. It would be an insult to imply that theirs is anything but professional quality output. Hence, to summarise, Ken Watanabe was only making the point for animation productions intended for commercial licensing and distribution.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
May I chip in here:
I've exchanged communication with Ken over the years and am also his customer. I think he is specifically calling Poser unsuited for professional animation productions intended for commercial distribution. There are many artists who render professional quality still images using Poser, and it would be an outright insult to call their work non-professional. Also, many merchants create commercial products which must pass a certain quality bar, oftentimes equivalent to professional grade work. It would be an insult to imply that theirs is anything but professional quality output. Hence, to summarise, Ken Watanabe was only making the point for animation productions intended for commercial licensing and distribution.

In a sense, people sometimes commission me to make Poser renders, and, by definition, anything people pay you to make can be considered "professional" work. I know of online book stores that hire Poser artists to make covers of commercially sold books, so that could fit the bill as well. I think this might have been where Poser renders have been used commercially the most - book covers. Digital Art has promoted some of that in their webinars, and I have seen book covers where I kind of recognize a Poser render. There were also digital comics sold commercially with Poser renders, though some of these have been heavily painted over for the final art. Content creators sell their products at online stores like HW, Rendo and DAZ, so these people could be called "professionals". Even Rooster Teeth has advertised about Poser in the closing credits of every episode of RWBY's first commercial season.

Having that said, people could say they have used Poser commercially for years, to include myself, but I guess my point was that Poser does not come to mind when commercial companies think about creating a professional animated series. This is where SMS has advertised Poser being "the ultimate professional animation tool", because Rooster Teeth was using it on RWBY's first season. But the fact remains that Rooster Teeth has switched to Maya for the second season on because of Poser's technical limitations in features and performance. It was just not up to the task, where anyone who has tried to animate in Poser will realize.

That is not to say that Poser cannot animate characters - I have posted DOZENS of Poser animations at DA. I just think it would require a more "serious" tool set to allow for professional grade results. If I had to make suggestions, I would start with better IK, and adding foot and hand ground contact. For example, Reallusion iClone uses Autodesk Human IK and supports feet and hands ground contact in real time. Those things alone could make iClone more "professional" than Poser for commercial animation. Even Disney has created a real-time animation division that does all the work using the Unity3D game engine to create episodic series. Poser is much older than Unity3D, so why didn't Disney pick it instead? Because it's not up to the task.

Most of the Poser code is now 20 years old, and it's showing its age. iClone and Unity3D are constantly being upgraded and improved, while Poser is stuck in the past. Even the Cycles rendering engine in Poser is stuck in the past, while Cycles in Blender3D has evolved and improved in many areas since then. It's now up to Renderosity to bring Poser out of the shadows and to the present day. Maybe then Poser could be considered for professional work, but until then, like DS, it remains a low budget hobbyist tool.

caisson

Admirable
Contributing Artist
@Ken1171 - when you say "the fact remains that Rooster Teeth has switched to Maya ... because of Poser's technical limitations in features and performance", then I've got to reply - you're not wrong, but it's a bit more complicated than that ...

Rooster Teeth hired an animator called Monty Oum to make RWBY of the back of his work on Red vs Blue. Oum used Poser in preference to other apps as he knew it well and could work extremely quickly in it. He died quite suddenly after two seasons of RWBY were complete and the third in production (my source for that is Wikipedia); the switch to Maya was made because no-one else could use Poser the way he could. Some of that is due to software limitations - Maya is an expensive high-end app and can do a lot more than Poser after all - but it is also due to the limitations of those using it. Monty Oum had a personally developed workflow that conventionally trained animators could not emulate.

Or to put it another way - Monty Oum was an artist. Sometimes choosing deliberate restrictions can drive creativity - in my experience having too much choice can often cause crippling indecision that takes away focus.

Anyway, I'm very happy about Renderosity buying Poser. The decision by SM to ditch the dev team (obviously a high-level corporate decision for cost reasons) a few years back meant development flatlined and I knew that a new version would not be a realistic prospect. You could say my enthusiasm waned a bit - I felt pretty much the same way when RuntimeDNA folded; that was my Poser home, and it got me through a very dark time in my life.

Now there is a chance that Poser may see some serious development, I'm learning to rig my own figures, and finally enjoying 3D again. Proud to be a low budget hobbyist - an aspirational one :D

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@caisson Thank you so much for the input on Rooster Teeth switching to Maya. Most of what I know about it was based on the little we know from outside. Some of it came from Netherworks feedback, where he said he had worked with them on rigging the characters for about a year. He also said they had to remake the characters when switching to Maya because of the different requirements. He was one who claimed Poser wasn't up to the task in some areas. Then we have Nerd3D showing us some of the tricks they used on RWBY character rigging in one of the SMS webinars - very creative stuff I had never imagined doing in Poser, but that could make up for the lack of better features. So I knew they had to be very creative to get over the limitations.

I am also happy about Rendo taking over Poser development. Maybe now it has a better chance to go back to what it was supposed to be, and get the features it needs. Rendo claims to listen to the community, and that alone could be a game changer for Poser, since SMS was not very good with communication.