• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser sold to Rendo

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Could not agree more. When it comes to long skirt, dress and poses which shows more than the T-pose, cloth room is a must have. The wind force gives a realistic dynamic feel to the whole. To be honest, some rigged outfit looked sometimes like Ali Baba flying carpet when folks try to fit the outfits to a dynamic pose :D

Some people complain the Cloth Room can be overwhelming, with too many obscure parameters, but the default settings work exceptionally well in most cases. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
And just to show what an old miser I am some of my runtime contents still have P (version) and PP files despite spending the last few months slimming them down! Get rid 'o nowt sez I! If tha paid brass for it, tha keeps it!

I agree with that the only difference with me is that the products and folders I do not use on a regular basis are archived off onto DVD or cloud storage so I do still have access. My working runtime is a very stripped down version with the read me and templates also removed (again access it still there via other backups). For example the V3 folder is archived but the V4 is still in the runtime as I can still use the clothes and poses on Dawn and even occasionally use V4.

Hornet3d

Wise
Funny stories about how people come to Poser. :)
I came also relatively late to the Party. Poser 4 Pro or PP. Honestly , I was not impressed .Very short after that Poser 5 comes out, here I discover Renderosity and DAZ with V2 at this time. Shortly V3 get released and I was hooked to Poser and here I am since this. Remember my first try and errors with the clothroom. Pure fun.

It was only in the last few years that I managed to get my head around the cloth room thanks to Lully's dynamic clothing and the included tutorial. Before that the only time I used it was if I was in a bad mood, somehow setting the clothing up and running the simulation only to see the clothes finish up as a puddle on the floor around the figures feet always brought a smile to my face, but then I am weird.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
It was only in the last few years that I managed to get my head around the cloth room thanks to Lully's dynamic clothing and the included tutorial. Before that the only time I used it was if I was in a bad mood, somehow setting the clothing up and running the simulation only to see the clothes finish up as a puddle on the floor around the figures feet always brought a smile to my face, but then I am weird.

I jump in the clothroom when it get introduced in Poser 5. But it was sheer laziness and despair.I get so bored with fitting long dress, skirts etc..to Vicky that i immediately wrap my head around the clothroom. Search for tutorials and bother anybody with questions which was not at 3 on the tree. :laugh:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I didn't get into the Cloth Room in Poser 9 until I started beta testing for Satira about three/four years ago, and then only managed because she included a tutorial I could check out. Now-a-days I use it fairly often, so I've gotten much better at it, but every now and then learn something new.

Semicharm

Eager
I didn't get into the Cloth Room in Poser 9 until I started beta testing for Satira about three/four years ago, and then only managed because she included a tutorial I could check out. Now-a-days I use it fairly often, so I've gotten much better at it, but every now and then learn something new.
Same here. I tried to figure it out when I first started, but found it too cumbersome. It wasn't until I had to use it as a tester did I actually learn how it worked. The quick setup of conforming outfits still wins out for me, but at least I feel comfortable enough to throw the occasional item into the cloth room when I need to and get decent results. Having to tweak and rerun the simulation 3 to 10 times to get there is a PITA though.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It's been awhile, I don't recall if the cloth room is multi-threaded.

AFAIK, Poser dynamic cloth and hair in Poser are all single-threaded, and haven't been updated... ever? I think the cloth solver is the same that Autodesk (ClothFX/SimCloth) used to have on the old Reactor physics engine from 3DSMAX 5 to 7, which as been replaced by the new MassFX many years ago because Reactor was too slow and unstable. I think the SimCloth engine is still available as an external plugin for 3DSMAX, but MassFX is so much better that I don't think it's used anymore. The source code is available when you get the plugin. I don't think processors had multiple cores when this was created, which might explain why it's single threaded.

Nod

Adventurous
Yep. There were differences in material settings, etc, so folks often provided 3 separate folders labeled P4, PP (for the Poser 4 Pro Pack), and P5.

I originally got Poser 1 from Fractal Design - can't find my records for it and the disc won't even install in Windows 7 (I was curious ;)), but the upgrade to Poser 2 was a whopping $9.50 in 1997. Never really used either, and my next version was Poser 5, so I skipped 3, 4 and Pro Pack)

This could prove helpful or at least interesting ;)
Poser - Wikipedia
I got Poser 1 from a cover disc. I was saving for Poser 3, when I was offered a copy of Poser 4 for review.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I seem to recall I bought my first copy of Poser through the DAZ store. It was at a huge discount just before the next version (I believe 6) was released. Does anyone else remember whether Poser was ever sold through DAZ? This would have been mid 2006.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I've only had the Kettle Korn, though the White Cheddar might be nice if you like Cheddar Cheese. I stay away from anything Sea Salt, so have no idea what that tastes like.

Just got some from Amazon. Wow! They are pretty good! Flavor almost a cross between popcorn and corn chip.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
Some people complain the Cloth Room can be overwhelming, with too many obscure parameters, but the default settings work exceptionally well in most cases. :)
What kind of obscure settings? Color me stupid, but cloth friction, fold resistance etc..are speaking for them self. Basic knowledge in Physic ,some tests on different outfits for the outfit,that's all you need to do. Save your setting and you are good to go.
Most of the vendors anyway set the parameters for their cloths by default.Could really never get why people are freaked out from the clothroom.

Hornet3d

Wise
What kind of obscure settings? Color me stupid, but cloth friction, fold resistance etc..are speaking for them self. Basic knowledge in Physic ,some tests on different outfits for the outfit,that's all you need to do. Save your setting and you are good to go.
Most of the vendors anyway set the parameters for their cloths by default.Could really never get why people are freaked out from the clothroom.

Static Friction as opposed dynamic friction and air damping are the ones I would have difficulty in describing. Then getting into Dynamic groups and Choreograph groups are quite complex. Of course none of this is really required for a dynamic garment you have purchased as the basics are set up and the rest generally ignored but there is a lot of power in the cloth room if you are really looking to make cloth drape properly. Then there is making it look right, the defaults are there for a garment but it you want to change the material from satin to leather they are going to drape very differently.

eclark1894

Visionary
I seem to recall I bought my first copy of Poser through the DAZ store. It was at a huge discount just before the next version (I believe 6) was released. Does anyone else remember whether Poser was ever sold through DAZ? This would have been mid 2006.
Poser 7 was sold through DAZ. I bought a copy. It's still in my Product library.

eclark1894

Visionary

Most of the problems with the Cloth room are in the settings and the construction of the model. People don't assign certain items to their proper cloth group, like buttons, zippers and belts, they don't tell the cloth Room what's in the scene, like the floor, a bed, shoes, feet, and they confuse polygons and vertices.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
Most of the problems with the Cloth room are in the settings and the construction of the model. People don't assign certain items to their proper cloth group, like buttons, zippers and belts, they don't tell the cloth Room what's in the scene, like the floor, a bed, shoes, feet, and they confuse polygons and vertices.

Most of the dynamic outfits have no belts, buttons. At last those which I purchase . Fabiana used to make more complex dynamic stuff, but they are hybrid or she has a very good tutorial which goes with it and proper settings. Esha set her cloth also always "ready to sym and render. There are so many tutorials out for proper settings also, in case you want your own settings. Sure, it needs a bit practice, but this is whit anything else too. Without practice, you go nowhere. And to be honest, after over 10 year clothroom, people should catch up. (Except those who are beginner in Poser of course)