• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser 11 SR3 and Content Update

quietrob

Extraordinary
I've noticed larger monitors are much more affordable nowadays. But unfortunately, people over here are not allowed to buy computer-related parts thanks to the communist regime. Import taxing goes as high as 260%, which is the same as forbidden. Until last year, it was restricting only computer parts, but now it has been generously expanded to anything whatsoever, unless it costs less than $10. So my 20" ViewSonic will indeed have to last forever, and I am lucky to have it. This year the government is trying to pass a new law that will restrict access to the internet, so I am also lucky to still be here. I better enjoy while I still can! ^^

My gosh! That sounds so awful! Where do you live, Ken? What reasons could they possibly have for such a heavy tariff? Don't answer if it will get you in trouble with your government. I mean as to quote Sunfire, "Yikes!"

Oh for those that live with me in the USA? You might want to nod your head to a veteran this Memorial day.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Like a philosopher used to say: "Communism ends when other people's money is exhausted". That's where the high taxing comes from. For example, whenever I pay my electricity bill, about 60% is just plain government taxing. That's Brazil for you. You might have heard of the multiple scandals on the big media. The president has just been impeached, and the new one is already under investigation by the feds. It's so unbelievable that Netflix is making a TV series about it. LOL

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
My download manager says that an update for Poser 11 is available. Version 11.0.4.32467

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes Tana. I downloaded and installed it the other day before getting offline. So far no problems that I've come across, but then I don't normally use it all the time. Yesterday and today I've been playing with materials and lighting, so have been in it pretty much most of the day, and it appears to be working fine.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Does the library load quickly once again or do I still have time to refill my drink between loading poser and getting to the library? LOL (exaggeration, but some days it doesn't seem like much of one.)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
11.0.4 has incorporated a LOT of fixes and improvements. Many of the library issues have been resolved. :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
It seems a bit better. I do, however, have it set to index on startup, so that does take a while, but it seems better than it was with 11.0.3.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Definitely better! I have lost count of how many improvements SMS has added based on beta-testing feedback. For once, Animatable Origins have been finally added. Build 11.0.4 is the first version to ever support it in Poser. I know because it was my report that got it started ^^

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Sorry to throw a spanner in guys, but I downloaded and installed the 11.04 update and the library is taking just as long to load and the shortcut key performance can only be described as intermittant! i.e. they are ok when I start the program then cease to function each time I load an item into the window which means I have to sit twiddling my thumbs until they start working again or resort to the menu's. Could someone please make it clear whether the 11.04 update alone is sufficient or should I re-install the whole program which is now showing as version 11.04. :(

eclark1894

Visionary
Definitely better! I have lost count of how many improvements SMS has added based on beta-testing feedback. For once, Animatable Origins have been finally added. Build 11.0.4 is the first version to ever support it in Poser. I know because it was my report that got it started ^^
What's wrong with AO in PP2014 (what I'm using?)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Could someone please make it clear whether the 11.04 update alone is sufficient or should I re-install the whole program which is now showing as version 11.04. :(

I have been just updating. It doesn't hurt to try a clean install, though. As far as I know, it won't delete your runtime.

What's wrong with AO in PP2014 (what I'm using?)

There are no Animatable End-points in any versions before 11.0.4. It was just introduced now. What we had before were only Animatable Origins, where the end-points were just left behind, and would not follow any morphs.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I have been just updating. It doesn't hurt to try a clean install, though. As far as I know, it won't delete your runtime.

While it won't delete my runtime (and if it should I keep two separate backups just in case) what I am concerned about is the time it takes (and the cost!) of downloading and installing something which shouldn't be broken after two updates, both of which have apparently proved to fall well short of the claims made for them. I'm currently using a laptop (well in excess of Posers minimum specification requirements and downloading via mobile broadband). That's an expense I could do without when it's no fault of my own, especially when theres no guarantee that it will improve things as they stand. I'll give it a try but to be honest, given the current state of play, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@eclark1894 Exactly. We seem to be talking about 2 different things. Each bone has an origin and an end-point. This last one was not animatable until Poser 11.0.4. This means animatable origins were only half implemented until now. :)

eclark1894

Visionary
@eclark1894 Exactly. We seem to be talking about 2 different things. Each bone has an origin and an end-point. This last one was not animatable until Poser 11.0.4. This means animatable origins were only half implemented until now. :)
I blame you for the confusion. You originally said Animatable Origins, now you're talking about Animatable endpoints.:sneaky:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Mythocentric Hehe there are a lot of things that can go wrong when we update Poser on top of an existing installation. In my case, I like to keep my personal settings, and sometimes that can cause trouble when the program that handles them is changed. What I do is to keep a copy of my preferences in case they get reset and I need to add them back. It's just a folder. When backing it up, I've noticed there is a lot of trash that ends up accumulating with it over time, making Poser slower and sometimes sluggish. There were also settings that have changed and cause trouble after updating. Besides personal settings, there are also the Poser configuration files that store your default runtimes. Those can get corrupted and cause havoc as well.

Poser isn't perfect, and personally, I don't like the new HTML5 library, and prefer the AIR library from Poser 10. But I believe things will get improved over time, and if things keep being updated at the speed it is now, maybe it won't take too long. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I blame you for the confusion. You originally said Animatable Origins, now you're talking about Animatable endpoints.:sneaky:

It's the same subject. Animatable Origins were only partially working until 11.0.4. I have been talking to SMS about this since Poser 9, and only now it has been fully implemented. That was affecting one of my products, but now it's fully working. That's a big thing for me as a content creator.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
@Mythocentric Hehe there are a lot of things that can go wrong when we update Poser on top of an existing installation. In my case, I like to keep my personal settings, and sometimes that can cause trouble when the program that handles them is changed. What I do is to keep a copy of my preferences in case they get reset and I need to add them back. It's just a folder. When backing it up, I've noticed there is a lot of trash that ends up accumulating with it over time, making Poser slower and sometimes sluggish. There were also settings that have changed and cause trouble after updating. Besides personal settings, there are also the Poser configuration files that store your default runtimes. Those can get corrupted and cause havoc as well.

Poser isn't perfect, and personally, I don't like the new HTML5 library, and prefer the AIR library from Poser 10. But I believe things will get improved over time, and if things keep being updated at the speed it is now, maybe it won't take too long. :)

I'm aware that Poser isn't perfect. I know that it's never been entirely comfortable with Windows for reasons which are well beyond my expertise. In fact I keep my runtimes (apart from the Poser 11 runtime which installs with the program) away from the program itself (copies on two separate drives) having had disastrous experiences in the past. The only change I've made to preferences is to load to a blank screen, i.e. minus Andy! on startup. What I am concerned about is that I have a program which I use everyday, installed 5 weeks ago on a new laptop chosen specifically to give me the best possible use of that program and which up to installing the latest updates performed perfectly and with which I have been delighted. Sadly, thats no longer the case because of two updates which have turned something which was a dream to use into a clunker worthy of the old Amiga days. Now it appears that the only way to correct that is to uninstall, download and re-install it in the hopes that it corrects something which shouldn't have happened in the first place. That's not my fault, nor is it yours, its SmithMicro's! I sincerely appreciate your assistance but I've got to say that, given their current performance, it appears that they are handing the 3D market to Daz on a plate! I've purchased and enjoyed using Poser ever since version 4. Thats a lot of dollars over time but I'll think very carefully before considering the next upgrade!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I hear you, man. I was lucky I have started with version 3, because 4 was unusable to me. Version 6 was also unusable in my opinion. The versions I have used the most in that time were 3 and 5. If I started with 4, I would had probably quit and we wouldn't be having this conversation. LOL

As a program, Poser used to have a pretty bad reputation back in those days, where new versions were mediocre at best. Things only started to pick up after eFrontier acquired Poser and released version 7, which was finally modernizing the program, even if just a little. Soon after, SMS took over Poser development, and THEN we started to see real progress. For example, that's when Poser finally got an UNDO feature - imagine that!

But things were still slow to pick up. More recently, Chuck Taylor migrated from DAZ to take over as Poser product manager at SMS. Since then, we have never seen so much progress in only a few months. Poser 11 is now in SR-4, and remember it was just released last December! Before this, we used to have only 1 or 2 updates a year, so it's nothing to take lightly. Many of my bug reports have already been addressed, sometimes in the same week. That's also unheard from Poser. :)

Poser and DS are very different creatures. One has this long history of adding new features while still keeping backwards compatibility, while the other is doing the exact opposite, not only with previous versions of itself, but also with the Poser market. Personally, I prefer the way Poser has adopted the Cycles renderer from Blender3D, by making Poser native materials work with it without changes. This means Poser shaders will eventually be added to the material shaders used in Blender3D community - imagine that! I also like the way Poser allows us to create materials that automatically apply to each rendering engine, so users don't have to take any actions about it when they render. Conversely, DS users have to create and apply 2 different sets of materials, depending on the rendering engine (iRay or 3Delight).

There will always be good and bad things about either programs, but since I have paid for Poser, it entitles me to ask SMS for help when I need it. I can report bugs and have technical support. I have even participated in the making of Poser 11 by joining the beta-testing team. Poser also ships with complete documentation for both users and content creators. Those are the things we are not eligible for with DS, because it's free and therefore it is provided "as is". If something is broken, we are not eligible to complain (unless you sell products at their store, and even then, only to some extent). They change things without notice, and the changes are not documented for content creators to be able to learn and adapt.

Nonetheless, DS is free and you can get started with it at any time. Right now I have both programs installed in my production computer, and there is nothing wrong with that. I have been using both programs for years, and I can tell you in advance - DS is not perfect either. :)