• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Pet Hates

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
In case I didn't mention it earlier, school uniforms. I really hate them, we all do. They give us skirts that go down almost to our ankles, and we have to roll them up around our waists, which makes us look fat. I can't see why they don't make the skirts a few inches shorter so we don't have to meddle with them.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Heh. We didn't have uniforms. We had dress codes. Skirts had to cover the knees. Which seems reasonable enough. Except that it was absolutely not in fashion to wear a skirt that covered the knees. It was difficult to buy a skirt that had enough fabric to cover the knees. Even grandmothers were wearing miniskirts. (Not all of them. Just the ones that followed any kind of fashion.) The Girl's Vice Principal of the school would go around making people kneel down to see if their skirt touched the floor.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I have ALWAYS hated wearing dresses or skirts. It's barbaric to require all girls to do so. We also didn't have uniforms, but we had dress codes, and girls were required to wear dresses or skirts. Even in freezing cold weather with snow on the ground.

Finally, in my senior year they changed the dress code slightly to allow us to wear pants in those conditions. But ONLY those conditions.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
The year after I graduated they finally dropped the dress code. Girls still couldn't wear pants, but a lot of the rest of the draconian measures designed to make everyone look like they were 20 years out of date got quietly swept under the rug.

(When I was in school, we couldn't even wear boots -- apart from rain boots. When Courages(sp?) came out with those low heeled, mid-calf white boots, the dress code got tweaked to the point that those particular boots, and only those particular boots, could be worn. Why they made an exception for those, I'm not sure. Probably because there was no reasonable objection that could have been made about them.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
.....Except that it was absolutely not in fashion to wear a skirt that covered the knees.....

Yes that's how it is here too. Girls just don't wear long skirts, but the schools all make us wear skirts that go down almost to our ankles, which went out of fashion when my granny was in school. Then the ends get all wet when it rains (which it does most days in Ireland). We have to resort to turning the tops of our skirts up multiple times to raise the ends of the skirts up to our knees.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
My list of pet hates is growing:

Homework

I mean homework, on our first week back. I was hoping they would ease us back into that stuff next week. But no, they loaded us up with it straight away. :confused:

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Well I got the horrible stuff done and I'm playing with ZBrush. If homework was as easy to do and as much fun as ZBrush and CG stuff, I'd love it.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
My, you are impatient. I keep putting together complex finicky scenes that take anything up to 12 or 15 hours.

Of course some of that was unexpected. I just found a lighting package that enables emissive lights in 3DL. They come out very nicely. But they take forever to render.

I ended up rendering it in pieces and compositing it in Photoshop. It still took a couple of days to get all the pieces. But that way everything was individually editable.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
My, you are impatient. I keep putting together complex finicky scenes that take anything up to 12 or 15 hours.

You must have great patience. I'd never wait for an overnight render, then maybe not like it after the wait. I like Octane as it gives fast and clean renders from Poser in a few minutes. I have the Keyshot for ZBrush which is amazingly fast too. Also I have Marmoset Toolbag for instant renders.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I'm old enough to have groked that things take as long as they take. If I need the finished render, I have to wait for the render to finish.

What frosts me is when a 12-hour render gets halfway done and you see a glitch that needs fixing which you couldn't see in the spot render. Had one of those crop up a week or so ago when one of the figures in a crowd scene turned out to be rendering as a flat white silhouette. Was fine in the spot render. Not in the final render.

More usually it's a positioning glitch, and something is intersecting something else. Sometimes I just fix it in post. But others, you just have to bail, fix the glitch and start over.

Of course, when the test spot render takes three hours, you know you are in for a marathon.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Oh gawd. I'm watching the paint dry again. 25 hours in and it's at 64%. Admittedly it's less despair-inducing than when it was at 12 hours and 20%. But it's the worst marathon render I've had to suffer through since DS 3.

Double-sized scene (a diptych), low light and transmapped trees. Bad, bad combination. Plus there is something wrong with the file. I saved multiple copies with different names, once I realized what I was in for. I've have been deleting parts from different ones and rendering the separate elements to build a composite in Photoshop. Most of those rendered in a reasonable time for what they contained. Even the one of just about half of the trees since I'm going to need a layer of those to mask the rest of the elements. That one rendered in just about an hour, no problem. Same lights, same settings. No ground plane to catch shadows, but they were casting shadows on each other. No problem. But now I need the background. I know there's something wrong, because in this one I left one group of figures (about a dozen of them) in, since I needed their shadows, too.

It's a very good thing that I'd already rendered them in a different pass along with some of the special effects. Because in this copy of the file -- which is the same file, just saved with a different name -- the same group of figures have rendered as solid black silhouettes. Apart from about four of the wigs, and a couple of props. The figures, the clothing, the rest of the wigs, most of the hand props. Solid black silhouettes.

This time I know it's a shader issue. No idea how to fix it, and no real need to fix it because I can just plop the other render in over the top. And even if I did fix it, I've no guarantee that it would render any faster.

But, jeez.

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
I hate the waking up process but once it is started I cannot go back to sleep. I rather be asleep right now but got to get ready for work and do laundry. I hate doing laundry.

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
Somebody needs to check on my laundry. My fishies will not do it.

Another pet peeve landlady has a one aquarium rule which means I cannot have my own Dory. I cannot part with my fresh water fish.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Well, the diptych finally weighed in at 39+ hours. And about a quarter of the ground plane also rendered as solid black.
Of course the render didn't get to that area until about the 32nd hour, and by that time it was less of a hassle to just go ahead and let it finish.

So once it did, I set it up to render the file that was just the background scene, with the trees in the middle (which I already had) turned off, and went back to bed. No glitch in that file, It started right in and the render was sitting there waiting to be saved when I got up to check some 3 hours later. I suspect that one probably took less than an hour, but that's just a suspicion.

Thinking back, I had one of those 5-minute power outages while I was working on one of those files. What do you want to bet it was the one that had the glitch?

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
Waking up in middle of the night to visit the bathroom and brush teeth and also visit these forums before going back to sleep. Not any of it is bad I guess it is the two am factor and how long it takes me to go back asleep.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yes that's how it is here too. Girls just don't wear long skirts, but the schools all make us wear skirts that go down almost to our ankles, which went out of fashion when my granny was in school. Then the ends get all wet when it rains (which it does most days in Ireland). We have to resort to turning the tops of our skirts up multiple times to raise the ends of the skirts up to our knees.
OMG...I remember doing that years ago when I was at school. Mind you my dad got the lady at Fletcher Jones to do it shorter than she was supposed to initially. I was lucky though when I went through they didn't measure the lengths like they did when my sister was there and I didn't have to wear hats and gloves like she did either.

I still remember chopping of a huge portion of the summer dress and rehemming them. Lost the pleat in the front totally...and reshaping the jumpers and cardigans to fit more closely...ah memories!

In regards to homework...I'm a teacher and I hate it. Grade 1/2's shouldn't have to do more than read their take home readers, practice spelling and counting. They need to be kids for crying out loud and they need to spend time exploring the garden, finding bugs and getting dirty!