• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Our slice of Heaven

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
We're supposed to get more snow this weekend, so probably the snow you had today is heading north towards us, be the report on the news said it's going to be a lot more than what we got today.

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I am soooo ready for spring. Cool that those are coming up, Pom!

It's a bit of an experiment really since the park is surrounded by pine-forest - well, what Dutch people would consider a forest anyway. So the ground is shaded and poor for flowering plants but I dug the spaces out where I wanted the beds, refilled them with special garden-soil and potsoil and,...well.....poop LOL
I use what my dad and granddad would use, cow-manure but they sell it these days in dry form. Still smells though. I did all that last year before the winter came and planted the bulbs in october. Best is for those bulbs to have the frost go over them as we say here. It freezes their metabolism and they go to "sleep" so they have all the nutrition when spring comes and plenty of time to root and spread in the summer and grow new bulbs. Tullips can be best taken out of the ground after bloom. You can either cut the flowers and put them in a vase, cut the leaves and dig up the bulb and store them in a dry and dark place, or cut the whole plant after the bloom passes. Daffodils and such ou can leave in the ground, they will multiply.
I never take anything out though, I don't go by the rules. The tulips will be taken up by nature.
Twing wants a patch though somewhere so I think I'll get a special planting-baskets wich makes it easier to remove them after bloom. She also want a herbal garden....I do have my work cut out LOL
I will get some imperial fritillary this year in october to plant, they are beautifull and keep rodents out, like daffodils do.
I thought I would have a difficult time with this but it all comes back so easy and naturally, whatever I was taught as a child it's still there.

Pom, I'm so envious! I used to have things like crocuses and daffodils and snowdrops. Though, they do plant them on the grounds around the apartment building. So, I'll have to keep an eye out Monday.

The city plants bulbs everywhere here to, all around town where there's grass or a patch. Daffodils and crocuses because they multiply. We have plenty of flowerbulbs in all color variations and they aren't that expensive here.
Spring is magical here with all the flowerfields in bloom and the bulbs coming out.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've had both daffodils and crocuses growing and thriving in shade. The backyard of our first house was rather heavily shaded. Both from trees in our yard and neighboring yards. We had two plum trees (or maybe it was three) and a filbert tree that shaded the patio. The filbert tree was a holdover from when the land was a filbert orchard. Finding a patch that would support a vegetable garden was quite the challenge!

Now ... tulips, I always envision as being planted in huge, low-lying fields in full sun. Can't imagine why that would be :wink:

Ah ... there are shade tolerant daffodils, so that's probably the varieties that were growing in my yard. They'd been planted years before we owned the property. These varieties apparently do well in shade.

— Actaea: delightful white corolla with a tiny yellow tube edged in orange.
— Barret Browning: soft butter-yellow corolla and a pumpkin-orange frilly tube.
— Birma: golden corolla with a pumpkin-orange frilly tube.
— Golden Harvest: the classic, large yellow King Alfred daffodil.
— Jack Snipe: gold tube with contrasting white corolla.
— Jenny: lemon-yellow tube with paler corolla.
— Jetfire: orange tube with large, golden petal corolla.
— February Gold, Peeping Tom, Little Witch, Carlton, Dutch Master: These produce pure gold flowers with narrow tubes and corollas.​

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Nice place and yard! I'm a little jealous too... years ago we tried Bulbs (tulips, crocuses, etc) with poor results. Living in Southern California, the weather and soil just isn't suited to those exotic bulbs. We eventually gave up and went to California native plants (and native bulbs) with much better results (but that doesn't mean I'm still a little jealous lol).

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Nice place and yard! I'm a little jealous too... years ago we tried Bulbs (tulips, crocuses, etc) with poor results. Living in Southern California, the weather and soil just isn't suited to those exotic bulbs. We eventually gave up and went to California native plants (and native bulbs) with much better results (but that doesn't mean I'm still a little jealous lol).

You are a little jealous?! Gosh, I browsed around your Quail Hollow, if only I can create a little bit of heaven like you have I'm happy! It's breathtaking where you live!

Satira - I write down that list of daffodils, I know the DutchMaster is sold where I order my plants and I'll check if they have any of the others in stock aswell for coming october.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Cool Pom.

The list of shade tolerant daffodils is supposed to come from dutch.com, but I couldn't find anywhere on that site where they listed shade tolerant bulbs. But ... I may not have been looking in the right place. I found the list on The Seattle Time, which isn't surprising considering the Pacific Northwest has oodles of trees ... hence oodles of shade.

Ken's Quail Hollow sure is fabulous. I'm rather jealous too!

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
@Ken Gilliland I had another look at your garden & house. Let my spouse look at your front porch saying "That's the style I'm looking for" and I swear I saw her developing a twitch LOL
I'm driving her nuts with my "southern style"-porches

Can I ask how you did that mosaic in the garden path because my spouse wants me to create one in our garden aswell

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
@Ken Gilliland Can I ask how you did that mosaic in the garden path because my spouse wants me to create one in our garden aswell

I did the mosaic circle by getting various rock types at a local building supply store and placing them in cement. First you'll need to "form" the area and pour cement. Make the cement thick enough to support weight (1-2 inches/3-5 cm) and add rebar, if it's a big area (to it's less unlikely to crack). Smooth out the cement and start placing the rocks/materials deep in the top layer. Paint the top surfaces of the rocks with water to keep them clean of cement stains then sponge the area to remove excess water.

I did dig up a series of work pictures from my Quail Hollow Mosiac that a friend took way back when.

1802b.jpg 1802c.jpg 1802d.jpg

Last edited:

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Our little herbal garden, right next to the spot where the BBQ will be located with a small outdoor kitchen.
The herbs are grown in pots.
The labels are stones we found there. I placed them in some vinegar with water, let the sun dry them and then you can wipe the green moss off leaving the white stone, a waterproof marker and presto, plantlabels.
Of course the names are in Dutch so....

Kruidentuin01.jpg

Kruidentuin02.jpg

Kruidentuin03.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhh, looks like Spring has definitely sprung in your part of the world. Your garden and herbs look great Pom. :)

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Waste not, want not. Sometimes you bump into - or get - used items from people that require just a bit of TLC to start a second life. I've always regarded it a shame if somthing is still beautifull, just a little worn or maybe a bit outdated, that gets thrown away but could still be of use if you'd just fix it up a bit.
Like furniture. Maybe it's something I got from my parents, to think out of the box with these things. A piece of furniture had to be broken to be thrown out and even then,.....paint maybe?....bookshelves?

So, we received this gorgeous round wooden table with the purchase of our caravan and my sister in-law had 4 wooden dining chairs of a different color and some old fabric......
We bought ourselves some wood-dye, mahogany I believe...... It took a little sandpapering and 4 layers of dye.
Now we will hunt for some fabric to re-do the seats.

How it looked;
View media item 3579
Remove seat;
View media item 3580
Four layers of dye on the table & chairs;
View media item 3581
I will post the pictures when it's complety finished with new fabric.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Wow that's a really nice place you have pommerlis. Why can't you live in it all year if you want to? How would anyone know if you did anyway?