• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do
Who are the 3 judges? I believe I read a post that one had dropped out and there are currently only 2 listed including the one who had dropped out, I think. Knowing who the judges are might be helpful in giving an idea of what type of images to put together, ie realistic or artistic. Thanking you in advance for your reply.

Szark

Awesome
Who are the 3 judges? I believe I read a post that one had dropped out and there are currently only 2 listed including the one who had dropped out, I think. Knowing who the judges are might be helpful in giving an idea of what type of images to put together, ie realistic or artistic. Thanking you in advance for your reply.
from my experience it doesn't really matter what type of image it is and what field the judges are from. This is why I make them for myself and if they win something, well a bonus...

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
go to the first post, it has who the Judges are and a bit about them (they are all bird people, not artists from what I can gather)

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Um... I've got an embarrassing question here. I've been working away, but today I realized in a test render that my bird's wings don't seem to be attached to his body. I'm using the default (included) transparency map for the "Wings" material zone, but somehow the wings seems to have, um, flown away. Any ideas what might be causing this?

boid 008.png

This is still far from finished, mainly at this point I'm still playing with the iray material settings before I finish posing and set the camera angle. And time is not on my side :(

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It also looks like someone shaved his belly :p

I've got a render cooking so I cant check if I have that eagle (which one is it?) and I'm not sure what is happening. I know with iray you need to play with the Sub D (which I ALWAYS forget to do).

I hope someone more knowledgeable than me can help you.
In the mean time if you could let me know which eagle, once my render finishes and if I have it, I can take a look and try and work it out if someone hasn't gotten back to you. (If I can't work it out and someone else can't help you may need to do a "bit" of postwork ;))

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
hmmm, I don't know what you did to him VB :D

This is the default Iray lighting and the standard attack pose (just rotated up to more closely match yours) no other tweaking to anything.

It is only rendered out 50% but you can see I have your belly issue but the wings look fine.

My texture does look different to yours tho (noticeably the black claws and beak the other colour difference are due to your lighting compared to mine) so I don't know if you tweaked them, could be the issue? or maybe if you custom posed from scratch it might have broke something?
BOP default 50.jpg

TheKatster

Motivated
How will we know when our images are approved and updated? If there is a problem with my two entries let me know and I'll re-upload for you. It's only been two days but we are getting close to the deadline date.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Generally, if there is a problem, you're contacted immediately (if you didn't use a product that was required or there is some other problem).

How will we know when our images are approved and updated? If there is a problem with my two entries let me know and I'll re-upload for you. It's only been two days but we are getting close to the deadline date.

TheKatster

Motivated
Oh yeah, I just noticed that a lot of new images have been posted, mine included. Thank you so much... now off to do some commenting on some pics.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Sorry for the delay in answering questions, I haven't looked at this thread in a bit.

All three judges are from Audubon California . I'm sure they will be very bird-centric in their choices. Gary has judged before in my contests. Based on past judging, realistic or artistic doesn't matter much to him, what does matter is the bird looking at ease in it's environment. The other two, I can't comment on other than one's an ornithologist and the other manages one of the Audubon California Sanctuaries. All three care deeply about birds and protecting their environments so putting a favorable light on birds I'm sure will help.

...Any ideas what might be causing this?
...it is only rendered out 50% but you can see I have your belly issue but the wings look fine

The problem are related to the iRay renderer (which the models were never tuned for because iRay was "in development" when the products were released). They do work fine in 3D Delight. I do have some solutions in my SBRM FAQ that will help with iRay. Somewhere in this or another like thread Szark had some tips about iRay use with my birds as well.

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thanks Ken, but we worked out what was causing it (it didn't have anything to do with iray), when VB scaled the bird it broke the wings, he's fixed it now :)