• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Only three entries in the contest thread so far? Makes me want to drop everything and spend the next month spamming the gallery with bird renders... Hopefully everyone is just working hard on their entries. I'd have more right to complain if I had actually finished mine already...
I was going to answer this but Ken beat me to it...I haven't had time to even think about it yet as I'm busy with reports.

Diffuse map in the Translucency Colour Channel about 0.20, Scatter and Transmit but the key thing is making the transparency map into a Translucency Weight Map in Photoshop so it fades out like that.
How does one make a transparency map into a translucency weight map?

Szark

Awesome
by carefully painting black - gray - white to get the effect you want. It is all about knowing how these maps work which everyone should know from using Poser or DS etc and how to use Photoshop etc. Think about it black no effect, white full effect and gray in between meaning semi transparent.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Aah...so just like a transparency but using grey tones also. Like what I used to do when doing skins for games. Thanks Szark...

Szark

Awesome
Aah...so just like a transparency but using grey tones also. Like what I used to do when doing skins for games. Thanks Szark...
Yeah exactly..I spent a good number of hours making better trans maps for the DAZ3D Sub and Mil 2 Dragons wings for 3DL

Attached is what I used for the Sub Dragon Opacity Map. I used the Bump Map as a template and on a new layer over painting to what you see. I could have gone one step more and add some veins to the mix but for this image

I think it worked okay.

I did the same for the MIl Dragon but alas that went bye bye with the HDD. ;) Here is the result though

Anyhoo the same process can be done for bird wings and tail feathers as we can use Ken's Opacity Maps as a temple. But if you paint directly on to Ken's maps then please don't share them.

Wings_Trans1.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks Szark...that map works really well. It especially shows up well with the orange dragon...I will have to give it a try!

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Great info on how to stuff...

Here is my entry I have started on in Carrara..

I will be using Ken's pelican, seagull, ibis, cormorant and his flock formation in conjunction with a photograph of mine that I took down by the local lake with my xPeria Z5..

I will then be using PSE14 a fair bit to get the finish I like on the main character and have them blended into the photo.
It takes a while but nearly finished :)

upload_2016-5-21_13-37-44.png

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I think if you're going to enter it's much better not to look. That's why I didn't submit my pelican render last year. I looked and thought no way could I compete. Don't think of it as a competition just as putting up a render...

Szark

Awesome
I learnt to make what I want, for me and not to win a contest. That way I find the whole experience more enjoyable. I love seeing the new images and the new ways these birds are used. I generally stick with what I enjoy and doing more realistic environments associated with the subject species. If I win something then icing on the cake but it does push me to do better I must admit.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I agree ... seeing what others have submitted does tend to make it harder for me to submit one. But what is hardest for me is getting an idea. I don't do a lot of renders of birds to begin with, so they aren't as natural a subject for me as humans or creatures. I do love birds, but I hear them far more than I see them ... especially starting about 3 am (or earlier).

Still ... I'm glad Ken has the Open Rendering Season every year because there are SO many awesome images done by the rest of you.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
@Ken Gilliland are we NOT supposed to have a signature on our entries? I found one of my older pieces that I think is pretty nice, cropped and sized it for the contest...but have not put my sig on yet... I'm confused- we can see who did which one in the contest gallery. Just let me know and I shall submit. :)

Last edited:

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
I generally have so MANY ideas that contests are useful to decide which one to start with first (in hopes of winning prizes so I don't feel TOO guilty about getting more stuff to play with ;) ). I'm still waiting for the contest that will offer a super computer as a prize, though, because as much as I love Iray, I'm still trying --unsuccessfully-- to get a render cooked in less than three days...

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
haha VB, I'm wanting to win one so I can get Poser (the only way I'll ever afford it is to get someone to get it for me :D)

Lyne, I think Ken said a small sig was fine, just one that wasn't distracting and not a logo etc (something discrete that you'd find on a painting I think)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
haha hopefully if its a version they already have the gift it to those less fortunate :p hehehe