• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

New all-star Poser-only figure released!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Oh yeah, that's when we can see all the magnets under the hood. Most people have never seen them, though, which is a good thing. That was such a great idea at the time, but that simply cannot be applied to modern weight mapped figures, like Dawn or LaFemme. I don't know if it was a coincidence, but legacy rigging used in the V4 era used spheres to dynamically generate weight maps under the hood, which coincides with the way Poser magnets work.

This is why V4 or older figures can work in both Poser and DS, because their weight maps are generated dynamically. They are not hard-coded like it is with modern figures. In the same way, magnets can create dynamic morphs on figures, and they can be saved to the library as props, and later applied to the same or any other figure. The only caveats are Poser's inability of knowing which groups are affected by a magnet, or to include weights when copy and pasting magnets. Those things were never fixed.

Hornet3d

Wise
I have applied the clothing refitting method I've mentioned above to convert V4's "Bad Girl" outfit to LaFemme, complete with shoes and gloves. This is how it came out, straight from Fitting Room's raw rigging. No joint/JCM adjustments or cleanup at all. Hair is also from V4. Rendered in Supefly.

Have to say the LF fitting results are way better than I expected - nothing spiking out of jumping out of place when posed. Even the gloves fit quite nicely, considering how picky gloves rigging can be. I have used the provided "clothing" developer rig version of the figure to project the weights, and I've got really good results, especially on the pelvis and hands. One could say this is the equivalent of DS clones for weight maps projection, and LF has the best I've seen so far - not only for weights projection, but also for pose-correcting JCMs. Ok, this is a very simple outfit. I will have to test on other outfits to know for sure, but so far it's pretty good. :)

This render is using LF default materials, and I wasn't happy about the eye shaders. I had to tweak them until they rendered Ok in SF. The default body skin shaders are using the Poser Surface root, with the pesky Alternate Diffuse channel. I have disconnected them all for this render. Fortunately, there are PBR shaders as well, and they render eyes much better in SF. I should had used them instead! LOL

View attachment 44918

That is certainly a good start and looks very promising.

Hornet3d

Wise
Not bad at all Ken. Now if I could just learn how to use the Fitting Room, I'd have a good many outfits I could convert. ;)

Anyway, I did play with a new Dyn Short Dress Karth has at Renderosity, which I just picked up yesterday. I didn't take the time to disconnect LaFemme's Specular nodes, which I hate for SF renders, though I'm not that crazy about them for FF renders either.

View attachment 44919

Another great looking render. I always play with materials these days whether it be for SF or Octane, I guess for a lot of people the default materials are good enough I am just a little more picky.

Hornet3d

Wise
I give up, all the best to La Femme and it's creators, I have been seeing a few interesting renders about like this new vid.

I knew it would be a mistake thinking I could participate here, the Hive seems to prefer a very particular type of member and I guess I just don't fit the mould. It's a shame because I think that mould does more to hold this place back then help it grow. But many here appear to like it that way so all the best with it.

Some nice examples. Like you I wish La Femme all the best. I am not taking sides here for the simple reason there are no sides to take, just a few individuals who clearly have a passion for 3D art and some strong views. I say that because it would be a shame that you feel the forum is not for you. I do accept that Hivewire is not everyone's cup of tea but then what forum is. As a long term user of Poser, but a novice when it comes to understanding figures and content creation, I am always interested in more information be it about a figure, a piece of software or even life in general that pops up on odd occasions. Although I doubt I will use the figure I am still interested in both the strong points and the weaknesses, in exactly the same way I am interested in DS even though, after close to twenty years of Poser, I am unlikely to try and lean another program.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Another great looking render. I always play with materials these days whether it be for SF or Octane, I guess for a lot of people the default materials are good enough I am just a little more picky.

Same here - default materials are rarely good enough for me. :)

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
I give up, all the best to La Femme and it's creators, I have been seeing a few interesting renders about like this new vid.

I knew it would be a mistake thinking I could participate here, the Hive seems to prefer a very particular type of member and I guess I just don't fit the mould. It's a shame because I think that mould does more to hold this place back then help it grow. But many here appear to like it that way so all the best with it.

I'm truly sorry to read this, these forums could so do with your knowledge, but I completely understand how you feel and unfortunately find I agree with you.

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
A few things I know for sure:
  • If a person is looking for something to be offended by they will definitely find it.
  • Every person has a different experience and therefore a unique perspective. That perspective is the only thing they know so therefore a person will defend it until evidence is given that proves there is more than one way to look at things. Attempting to show someone another way to look at something should be done with kindness.
  • There are some things that are easily agreed on as evidenced in this thread. There are others things that always seem to be points of contention.
  • There is nothing to be gained by trying to prove someone wrong.
  • Sincere apologies do not contain the word "but".
  • Calling someone out by name for something they said directly to you is not a personal attack, it's an opening to a conversation where alternate points can be made and there can be a meeting of the minds in agreement or can continue to agree to disagree.
  • Everyone is welcome here. Some people seem to think that because we don't swoop in and censor people in a way that they feel is appropriate, that we are saying only certain kinds of people are welcome here.
  • The words that people choose to use and how well they play with others is a reflection on them.
  • There is an "ignore" feature here on the forum.
  • The community needs figures that work well in Poser and take advantage of or push new technology.
  • The community is smart to share what works for them about the new figure for Poser and what doesn't. It helps with future development (if developers pay attention)
  • If you are going to share what you don't like about a figure, also share something that you DO like about it. No figure is total garbage. All have some good and even great things about them.
  • Some of the new technologies, the reasons for them, the implementation of them can be confusing. It's important to have conversations with people who know their way around features that are confusing to you. This way everyone can learn.
  • There are some sensitive topics where people are emotionally charged. Meanings can be read into things where they don't exist and sometimes people purposefully feed the topic with intention to throw fuel on the flames. There is a place where meaningful conversation can happen without all of the angst. Can we do our best to find common ground even if we agree to disagree?
  • At some point people could ask themselves if they are here to contribute or to fight. If you're here to fight, move along. If you're here to contribute, by all means come on in!
Edited 02/20 to clarify and add to.

Last edited:

Willowisp

Adventurous
Always nice to see the wisdom of Lisa :)

I can also report that the ignore function is working really well, as I have no idea what the commotion is about this time :laugh: good for my blood pressure!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
OK, another render I did late last night, this time LF's "Taking A Stance" to show a little attitude.

She's wearing Karanta's new Giselle Outfit, and Biscuits' Aloe Hair.

I so wish the forum didn't stretch out renders we upload. ~shakes head~

TakingAStance.jpg

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
A few things I know for sure:

• If a person is looking for something to be offended by they will definitely find it.
  • Every person has a different experience and therefore a unique perspective. That perspective is the only thing they know so therefore a person will defend it until evidence is given that proves there is more than one way to look at things.
  • There are some things that are easily agreed on as evidenced in this thread. There are others things that always seem to be points of contention.
  • There is nothing to be gained by trying to prove someone wrong.
  • Sincere apologies do not contain the word "but".
  • Calling someone out by name for something they said directly to you is not a personal attack, it's an opening to a conversation where alternate points can be made and there can be a meeting of the minds in agreement or can continue to agree to disagree.
  • Everyone is welcome here. Some people seem to think that because we don't swoop in and censor people in a way that they feel is appropriate, that we are saying only certain kinds of people are welcome here.
  • The words that people choose to use and how well they play with others is a reflection on them.
  • There is an "ignore" feature here on the forum.
  • That's all for now.
Edited to add:

• The community needs more figures that work in Poser.
  • The community is smart to share what works for them about the new figure and what doesn't. It helps with future development (if developers pay attention)
  • If you are going to share what you don't like about a figure, also share something that you DO like about it. No figure is total garbage. All have some good and even great things about them.
  • Some of the new technologies, the reasons for them, the implementation of them can be confusing. It's important to have conversations with people who know their way around features that are confusing to you. This way everyone can learn.
a moderator with good sense AND ADVICE!
Thank You!

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
OK, another render I did late last night, this time LF's "Taking A Stance" to show a little attitude.

She's wearing Karanta's new Giselle Outfit, and Biscuits' Aloe Hair.

I so wish the forum didn't stretch out renders we upload. ~shakes head~

View attachment 44939

Shes cute but the more I look at renders of her the less convinced I am to want to lea in and use her. There is no muscle tonus in body parts. There seems to be some weirdness at the areas of wrists and forearms, her waist is way too narrow... though she has a pretty enough face here and in other renders I have seen of her, face and body still look kind of Toon-sh overall. Maybe this is a look out of the box and getting other body/character morph packs will address these issues. Did you find that to be the case?
I tried to see what some of the character and morphs packs for her available at Renderosity can do to fix these issues. Some are really nice as others don't really address my objections. We'll have to see where support goes for her. For now I sit back and watch keeping my walet closed and as neutral as possible.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh there are morph INJs for both her Body and Face that are included with her. I've just not gotten to dealing with them as yet. The two renders I've done so far are LF strictly out-of-the-box. As I get more used to working with her, then I'll start playing with the included Body and Face morphs.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Oh, ok. Tanks for getting back so quick. I am still trying to figure out what I really need so I can make a purchase to include her in the cart with.

Willowisp

Adventurous
@carmen indorato
Blackhearted's HD morphs are quite muscular. Here's a quick render of LF with Tempestas 'Neko' morph with some of the HD morphs dialed in. the 'Neko' character is very anime inspired, thus the exaggerated thighs. Ignore the pokethroughs and wonky fit, the morph tool was not cooperating tonight.

muscular.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The base shape shouldn't matter so much on a base figure, because that can be easily changed with morphs. There will never be a single default shape that will please everybody. In my sculpting test I could achieve different shapes on the base resolution, but if you want details, it has to be HD Morphs. This is particular to LaFemme, as previously discussed.