• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

New all-star Poser-only figure released!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Thanks for the render of the HD morphs @Willowisp, as I haven't purchased them yet. I want to play with those included with her first.

Willowisp

Adventurous
Close-up of the face, because 'Neko' is really cute! Default 'simple PBR' textures
lafemmeneko.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh she is cute, and I used the Simple PBR textures with my first render of LF. Yesterday I tried the Procedural SSS, and like those as well. Next time I'll try the SSS with Refracted Eyes to see what they're all about.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I recommend buying LaFemme's pose packs and characters first if you don't want to spend to much to get started. We can always convert clothing from other figures. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Surprised no ones mentioned this LaFemme Webinar by Charles Taylor (Nerd 3D) and Denise Tyler (Deecey) yet but, hey! Who needs knowledge when you've got an opinion, right?

Heeey, thanks for the link, that will be useful!! Nerd3D is great with presentations, and he was one of the creators. ^___^

Miss B

CV-BEE
I bought two pose packs, one a full body pose pack, and one for her hands, and the two outfits, mostly because I would buy them anyway, whether or not I was successful converting clothes packs I already have. Of course, you're better at that than I am, so I needed something for the gal to wear, even if she doesn't have any shoes . . . yet. ;)

I'm not getting any character sets yet, as those can wait. I have the two freebies Deecey uploaded, so those will have to do for now.

As far as the Webinar, I saw a link to it on the Renderosity forum, but I haven't had a chance to check it out.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have just finished watching Nerd3D's video presentation for LaFemme, and I came to realize a few things I wouldn't have guessed on my first try. There are particular things that could be considered "unorthodox" for the regular Poser user when it comes to how a figure is used, and what can be done with body handles. Things that simply don't work in other figures, but does with this one. We can use rotation, scaling and translation with any bone in the skeleton, and also with the body handles.

For those who know me, I have been enthusiastic about body scaling for years, because it allows creating body shapes and proportions "for free" without needing any morphs, or instead to complement them. LaFemme is the very first figure to support Poser 11 joint translations, which will break any other figure. I was very surprised when I saw Chuck Taylor dragging one of the spine bones up, and that has made the torso longer without breaking the figure. This applies to any other bone in LF's body, which means expanding the body scaling fun I was already having before. I knew Poser 11 had the feature, but no figure had used that until now.

** Maybe some of the bundled Poser 11 figures have used these, but they are not popular figures by any stretch of the imagination.

Chuck has also called attention to the special kinds of JCMs used in LaFemme that, he claims, are not your usual JCMs from other figures. They use Dependency Editor features that are only available in Poser 11. This makes it incompatible with Poser 10, and especially with DAZ Studio. With other figures, it was possible to import the JCMs into DS, and at best we would just have to reconnect the master dials to them. With LaFemme, Chuck claims DS will blow a fuse trying to figure out what these JCMs are trying to do, so the rigging will be incomplete. This means attempts to use her in P10 or DS may not work as expected. It's meant for P11 only, where Chuck says we had to burn bridges at some point to move forward, and this is it.

I've also finally understood what's the deal with the extra metacarpal bones on the hands and feet. Chuck has explained these are indeed bones, but they are not part of the default skeleton. Instead, they are ghost bones, which allows for more natural feet posing, allow hand poses that most other figures cannot perform, and will also simplify the rigging of shoes and gloves for LF.

In my first play with LF, I was kind of intrigued with the lack of a bunch of morphs I was used to have with other figures. After watching Chuck's video, I now see how these dials would be unnecessary, and understand why they are not included. There is an unusual extra power added to these body handles and the skeleton itself. We have several other figures with facial bone rigs with body handles, but they don't work the same way. They just look the same at a first glance, and that can be misleading thanks to new P11 features other figures have never used.

For example, Dawn has dials to scale her head, feet and hands. With LaFemme, we just select the body part and dial the "scale" dial to do the same. These dials include all the necessary ERCs to make sure that, for example, all the head parts will scale together. Head, hands and feet are the most commonly scaled body parts, but with LaFemme we can scale any other body part, including those controlled by body handles. Just select the handle and scale/rotate/translate it, and the controlled body part will be transformed. Want thicker lips? Scale the lip handles. Want the nose to be higher on the face? Translate the nose handle up. That's why LF doesn't have some dials we would expect to find on a figure. We are just not used to doing things this way, and that's why it was good to watch Chuck's video.

I strongly recommend watching it, because LaFemme is a quite unorthodox figure that takes advantage of P11 features not used in any other figure. I now have a much better understanding of why things are the way they are, which doesn't mean I agree with the grid-like topology that was used. LaFemme may represent an evolutionary step in figure creation that should be followed in future figures if we want to maximize the power of what Poser can do with its new features. It can do things no other Poser figure can do, and I think people should give it a try because we don't see something like this everyday, especially in Poser.

Right now I am dropping what I was doing to try the crazy things I saw Chuck doing with LF in his video. Really unorthodox things, but they make sense.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Not to mention unleashing the power of the 'escape' button! Pauline uses face chips (though I don't know if they work in the same way or not) but LaFemme is a whole other ball game!

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thanks Myth for posting the video. I haven't yet finished watching the video, but what I've see was definitely informative.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I have to say, as much as I'm a DS girl at this point, and have been for a few years now, I actually really really REALLY like this girl. This is the first Poser-native figure that I've ACTUALLY felt excited about in a very long time.

I've been playing with her for a few days now. I really do like her a LOT. They definitely got this one right!

And this means that aside from making poses (which yes I'm already in progress on), I really want a good skin merchant resource now, because I can't yet build skin without them. (I'd love to reach that point, but I'm not there yet. LOL)

Surprised no ones mentioned this LaFemme Webinar by Charles Taylor (Nerd 3D) and Denise Tyler (Deecey) yet but, hey! Who needs knowledge when you've got an opinion, right?

I just saw this tonight. I'm still playing through it... he's got a lot of really good information in there, well beyond just the functionality of the figure herself.

Hornet3d

Wise
Well, I just got some good news . . . my first La Femme render (back on page 10 of this thread) was chosen for Renderosity's Poser Staff Picks of the Week! :D

Congratulations, always good when your art is recognised as being worth added exposure.

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
I really don't see the need for all this angst. The La Femme figure IS free ( for now) as advertised..and good for that. The fact that the Renderosity shop has a minimum purchase limit of $3.50 is a totally different matter.

The angst is not aimed at La Femme but more aimed at a practice that many see as unfair. The point is that you cannot get La Femme for free you have to pay at least $3.50 which is still a stunning price for such a great figure with lots of potential and an added product of your choice. It is a bit like going into a coffee shop for and advertised free cup of coffee and then being told there is a charge of $3.50 for the biscuit that comes with it that you must buy. It is still a stunning offer but like so much is life it is how you do something is often as important as what you do.

I am truly astounded by the rabble happening over a measly 3.50. As usual, the Poser community is it's own worst enemy :cautious:

The figure is great, if you are too cheap to pay 3.50, then it is your loss.

Well, I paid more than $3.50, but I got something totally unrelated to LF I've had in my wishlist for a while. I just bought the item a little sooner than I was originally planning.

I don't think it was the amount of the necessary purchase that was the issue, but the necessity of having to pay the amount (any amount) without upfront notice of such a necessity, that's the issue.

Yeah tried to download it but there is apparently a $3.50 minimum order size to get it....gotta have something you pay for in the order even if it is free. Kinda sucks but that is what it is.....so much for being free to play with.

Okay, folks. You are well within your right to have and express an opinion on the Renderosity cart requiring a $3.50 purchase, however this is not the place to do it. Before hating on them too much you might consider there is likely a great reason they set their cart up that way and it's also likely that it's not something that is easily turned off or worked around for a "free" promotion. Sometimes in a store environment you have to work with what you have. Period.

For those offended by the $3.50 minimum, you really have to ask yourself if having more focus and development time going into Poser is worth it for you? If Poser is your program of choice and you want it to continue to be developed, why wouldn't you support that effort in any way you can? Supporting that effort could come in the form of ignoring the $3.50 minimum of a cart in a store and buying an add-on item for La Femme to show your gratitude that these folks took the time (a YEAR) to develop something they think might make a difference!