• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thought to oneself - must look for suitable background images for these bees :flower01:

In my iray "Bee" image, I simply used the bees and Hummingbird Garden Flowers (The update should show up when the bee sets are released). Under Iray Render Settings I click the Matte Fog switch and that was my background. I'd image you could do the same in Poser by just throwing a couple plants in the background, Depth of Field and a low F-stop.

Lisa Buckalew has lots of great flowers I'm sure the bees will be interested in too.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
For those using Superfly with the bees, in some cases you might see artifacts in close-up shots. This is cause by a quirk in the Superfly engine that doesn't like overlaying transparency planes. The easiest work-around to this is to go into the bee models Creation Controls/Hair Controls and turn Hide Abdomen/Hide Thorax hairs to "1".

Reactions: Jan

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
For those using Superfly with the bees, in some cases you might see artifacts in close-up shots. This is cause by a quirk in the Superfly engine that doesn't like overlaying transparency planes. The easiest work-around to this is to go into the bee models Creation Controls/Hair Controls and turn Hide Abdomen/Hide Thorax hairs to "1".
Thanks Ken, will make a note of this.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
do you need the honey bee base to use the other stripey things?

Yes, all my Nature's Wonders "... of the World" sets are base model set dependent.

I will have out additional "Swarms and Nests" set in the next few weeks. That features 7 different bee, wasp and yellow jacket group formations (similiar to my "Flock Formations" sets) as well as nest props. Since each formation is a stand-alone prop, the base model isn't required on that set.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm looking forward to the group formations, because I always liked your Flock Formations.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Yes, all my Nature's Wonders "... of the World" sets are base model set dependent.

I will have out additional "Swarms and Nests" set in the next few weeks. That features 7 different bee, wasp and yellow jacket group formations (similiar to my "Flock Formations" sets) as well as nest props. Since each formation is a stand-alone prop, the base model isn't required on that set.

goodo... it wasn't clear on the product page that the base is a required product.. or at least I didn't see any clear reference that it was needed.. ;)

thanks

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hmmm, I see it now has a separate line stating it, but when I was looking at it this afternoon, the following was the first line in the description:

"This volume is an add-on for the Nature's Wonders Bee Base set."

I thought that was specific enough, but at least now Alisa added the "Requires Nature's Wonders Bee" line above, with a live link to the Bee Base.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I haven't changed the product page since it was released. I had the link there - people must just have missed it. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, you could count me as one of those folks, because I'm usually very careful to read the product descriptions, but I did see the first line of the next paragraph, and that told me I needed a base figure, so I went looking for it, and found it. :)

Jan

Adventurous
Ken, any tips to share on placing bees on plants etc. Being so small, just when you think you have put one on a flower, you find out that they are nowhere near, just look like it. I was using the camera preset in set. Maybe I just need more practice, no time today, but will try again later.

The bees are very real looking, excellent job on them.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Hmmm, I see it now has a separate line stating it, but when I was looking at it this afternoon, the following was the first line in the description:

"This volume is an add-on for the Nature's Wonders Bee Base set."

I thought that was specific enough, but at least now Alisa added the "Requires Nature's Wonders Bee" line above, with a live link to the Bee Base.
Same here... that’s why I asked as it wasn’t clear.. o_O