• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Ken, check out this moth. It's a Venezuelan Poodle Moth. We need one!

wView attachment 63265

I have heard of these varieties!

Though am partial to the rocker Poodle Version
1596501969416.png

Last edited:

Jan

Adventurous
Someone mentioned larger animals. I know you started a Kangaroo model around 2010, you showed me. Any plans on finishing it some time in future.

Harimau

Eager
Ken, check out this moth. It's a Venezuelan Poodle Moth. We need one!

View attachment 63265

Looks unreal - like a fluffy toy and the wings looked wired and the eyes looked fluffy, so I checked a few sites in the internet and this is what I found:

Wool felt sculpture of silk moth lifecycle by Hakoiri. This is probably where your image originated!!!
Wool felt sculpture of silk moth lifecycle by Hakoiri..jpg

This an image of a real silkworm moth (Bombyx mori):
CSIRO_ScienceImage_10746_An_adult_silkworm_moth.jpg

This is an image of the Wild silk moth Bombyx mandarina:
Wild silk moth Bombyx mandarina.jpg

Another FAKE Venezuelan Poodle Moth that is making the rounds:
Venezuelan Poodle Moth.jpg

Same model uncropped:
Venezuelan Poodle Moth Fake.jpg

A similar looking moth, The Muslin Moth (Diaphora mendica):
Muslin Moth (Diaphora mendica).jpg

And finally the original Picture of the Venezuelan Poodle Moth taken by Dr Arthur Anker himself:
Venezuelan Poodle Moth real.jpg

Enjoy!

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Someone mentioned larger animals. I know you started a Kangaroo model around 2010, you showed me. Any plans on finishing it some time in future.

Good memory,... yes I started a Koala and Kangaroo model shortly after completing SBRM Australia. There were no Aussie animals at that time and felt I needed something to compliment my 3-volume set which didn't do too well in its initial introduction. I actually brought them to a Poser rigged-status, but was unhappy with the look and the topology (that's a modelers term for how the geometry is placed on the model) and shelved them. Yes, I didn't toss them and maybe someday I'll dust the dust off them and see if there's something worth salvaging.

My biggest problem, as an artist, has always been, I do what I want to do, not where the public interest or money is. I'm difficult that way; my style and subject in my paintings, drawings and even 3D art doesn't bend very much. Even in the commissioned illustration jobs I've had, I've taken what the client wanted and turned it into my own (usually the client went along with that). To create good or even great art, I need to pour myself into it-- it has to be more than just a job or project, I have to care about it, be excited about it and want to do it. That's just how I operate as an artist.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Well, if you ever get around to "dusting them off", I'd love a Koala Bear for sure. I've always thought them adorable. :)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
AM's modeling was improving by the time he did Roos or Koalas, but he still models with the assumption that the finished figures are going to be covered with his fur system.
Plus, I'm pretty sure that by the time he got to those he was no longer doing Poser versions.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Well, if you ever get around to "dusting them off", I'd love a Koala Bear for sure. I've always thought them adorable. :)
Not a Bear :D but still very cute, stoned, little marsupial lol The 2019/2020 bushfires have devastated most of their habitat so they are really vulnerable right now :(

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I've always wanted to animate a kangaroo. There's supposed to be a ricochet that happens when they hop.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Not a Bear :D but still very cute, stoned, little marsupial lol The 2019/2020 bushfires have devastated most of their habitat so they are really vulnerable right now :(
As a kid, I was always told they were Koala Bears. Took me many decades to find out that person was wrong ~sheesh~

Adorable in any case.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I think everybody was told as a kid that they were koala bears. They look rather like baby bears.

Weird sort of related offshoot to the impulse to anthropomorphize things. Trying to enforce the mystic laws of similarity.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Very true, and depending on the age of a child, if someone just said Koala, the child might have said Bear because that's what it looked like to the child.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yup. That's the context that the kid would probably be familiar with. And a koala looks a god deal more like a teddy bear than a real one.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think everyone (even us Aussies) called them Koala Bears when we were young, now we're brow beaten to loose the Bear bit :D

Jan

Adventurous
Rae is right, the name Koala Bear stuck for so many years, I was not even aware it was just a Koala :D

If Ken does get around to finishing his Koala, he will have to make this Koala food in Natures Wonders also:please:

KoalaFood Sign.jpg

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
There's a large patch of Eucalyptus trees near Pacifica, California. Neat place. Their bark peels off if I remember right.

Harimau

Eager
Koala 'bears' are cuddly. They are also famous for pissing on politicians and celebrities. In Australian folklore there are tales of killer koalas that drop down on unsuspecting passers by from eucalyptus trees. They are known by the name of (you guessed it) Drop bears. So if you happen to be in Australia be careful not to venture into the woods, it may be the last time you do so! I managed to find this picture in Wikipedia.

Dropbear.jpg