• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yup... I try to stay busy... lol

These updates here weren't that huge (when compared to the SBRM updates). I simply restructured the folder system and removed a step from the character loading process (in other words; I loaded the base model, applied the character settings and then saved it as a "character" (cr2/duf) for the update). I found, especially using Poser, it was a pain to hunt down everything in the various libraries (Figure, Pose, Prop, Material, Camera). I usually end up simply missing some of the content because I don't bother to look in one of the libraries to see if there's anything. When I started using DAZ Studio, its greatest advantage to me was having everything under the same folder. When starting the update of the SBRM series, I decided to break the Poser norms and simply put everything in the Figures libraries and have never looked back ;)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
That's pretty much how I reorganized my runtimes after the inadvertent disk wipe of 2012. I never saw how there could be any possible benefit in scattering the components of a product through half a dozen different folders in half a dozen different collections. Studio certainly didn't care where the thumbnails and their links were kept.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I reorganize as well, because as long as the Geometries, Morphs (PMDs) and Textures are in those folders in your Poser Runtime, you can put everything else where YOU want it to be. I usually do subfolders for Materials and Poses under the parent folder for the Character or Prop they belong to, unless I'm beta testing, and then it's a totally different Runtime.

That was the one thing that literally turned me off to Poser 5, the first version I "tried" playing in.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yeah. Why on earth did someone decide that things needed to be split up all over the place in the first case?

Not to mention the confusion of pose files that are materials, not poses, *as well as* material files that really *are* materials, or in the case of characters, splitting off expression files -- which don't work for other characters anyway (or if you try to use them, the face gets modified into the face the expressions were designed for, instead of the face of the character you're trying to use them on), or splitting off the props into a separate collection where you'll forget about them, or, or, or...

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
You have to remember that when Poser was first developed in 1995 there really was no "home-user" 3D products available, in fact it was just a couple years before that, that 2D art programs went from black and white to color. I know, I owned Fractal Design's "Sketcher", the precursor to "Painter" (who developed Poser 1 and 2). I used Poser 1/2 as a way to get the reference poses right that I needed for my oil paintings.

It wasn't until Poser 4 when transparencies were introduced that the product really came into its own. Poser is always been pretty strong on retaining compatibility and that's probably why the interface and structure hasn't changed. They know the interface is cumbersome and have/are considering changes, but so far tradition has won out.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
There might also have been an issue with the length of path names in the commoner OS layouts. If everything is in a different "library" you are less likely to be drilling down through too many layers of subfolders.

Miss B

CV-BEE
The drilling down was what I hated about Poser 5, my first version of Poser, and then having to drill back up to the top to get to Materials, or Poses (which very often WERE Materials), etc.

I didn't find the Runtime structure easier to get around in until I came back to Poser with version 9, and that was when it was on sale at the time Poser 10 came out.

As far as I'm concerned, they can leave the folder structure as is. What I find better is NOT having to use the EXACT structure of the Runtime except, as I mentioned earlier, the Geometries, Morphs (PMDs) and Textures. The only time I have issues is when I forget, and with this old aging brain that can be fairly often, where I installed something I haven't used in a while.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I don't want to take this even more off of the actual point of the thread, which is Ken's amazing NW products...but there was a logic to mat poses - at least, long ago. In Poser 5, the only files in the material folder were mt5 files (which still exist). They only can apply to a single material zone, so the Poser users came up with a hack to create mat pose files in the Pose folder. This allowed them to create ONE file with different materials for different material zones in an item, and apply them with one click.

Poser 6 brought mc6 files, which do just that, and are actually BETTER than the mat pose files (easier to save things), but many vendors STILL use the mat poses. HW stopped allowing them in products in our store many years ago.

Back to Natures' Wonders. There will, as Ken said, be a lot more updates coming!

Miss B

CV-BEE
I don't want to take this even more off of the actual point of the thread, which is Ken's amazing NW products...but there was a logic to mat poses - at least, long ago. In Poser 5, the only files in the material folder were mt5 files (which still exist). They only can apply to a single material zone, so the Poser users came up with a hack to create mat pose files in the Pose folder. This allowed them to create different materials for different material zones in an item, and apply them with one click.

Poser 6 brought mc6 files, which do just that, and are actually BETTER than the mat pose files (easier to save things), but many vendors STILL use the mat poses. HW stopped allowing them in products in our store many years ago.

Back to Natures' Wonders. There will, as Ken said, be a lot more updates coming!
OK, thanks for explaining why they did it that way.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I posted in this my SBRM thread but think it should go here too, so here it goes...

Happy New Year!

I thought I'd give a brief update on where everything stands on my products.

First, I want to thank everyone for the support you've given me and Hivewire3D over the last 7 years. I can't thank-you enough for those who kept following me through my moves.

Renderosity will, next week start transferring products and data from the Hivewire store to theirs. I think the majority of HW vendors will be part of this process. I doubt you'll see everything reappearing at Renderosity on January 5th but vendors who already are selling at Renderosity like CWRW and HW (Chris's models) should reappear quickly. As for me, I've placed my two new sets, Songbird ReMix Characters v2 and Characters v3 already in their QA and they should appear in my brand new Renderosity store on the 5th (or close to it). The "Characters" series from the SBRM line features popular birds from North America and will have some favorites like chickadees, towhees, thrashers, kinglets and, of course, the tufted titmouse.

As for my promised updates, they were delayed and will appear at Renderosity when my products are transferred. My fingers are crossed that purchase data will also be processed so that you'll be able to seamlessly update your products. If not, I'll work with you, to make sure you do get your purchases recorded at Renderosity. These updates include on the SBRM end...

• Corvus corvus
  • Threatened, Endangered, Extinct v2
  • Cool and Unusual Birds v3
In addition, I have reworked most of the Nature's Wonders series to a character-based format and SBRM-like in its folder structure. The biggest changes there are to the Poser side which moves all the library files (Poses, Materials, Cameras, Props) into the Figures library.
These updates include "fauna" I've done. The NW environment "flora" sets will be next on my NW list to update.

What I currently working on? I'm almost finished with Cool and Unusual v1, about halfway through Africa and Second Edition, and starting Woodpeckers, European Edition v2 and Australia v2. Why this scattershot approach? Two reasons; I'm working with birds that I have updated model bases for, and second, it keeps things interesting for me (so it seems less like "work").

What's new on the horizon? Apart from plowing through more updates, I'm leaning towards wanting to do a set of Asian birds, after seeing these two stunning birds [1] [2] and I want to add to the NW dragonfly and turtle lines.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
When all the customer data makes it to Renderosity, you'll want to redownload every NW set you own. All critters are now in "character" (duf/cr2) format and found under the Animals/Nature Wonders/Fauna Libraries. All the habitat sets were also move there under Animals/Nature Wonders/Flora Libraries (yes, technically those aren't "animals", but it made sense to put them there). Alisa has started a thread to inform everyone when the customer records will be in place.

Transfer of Customer purchases at HiveWire 3D to the store at Renderosity

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Re-download even the ones that you updated here before the store closed?
Yes. A good portion of my December updates could not be uploaded to the HW store before it closed. That includes all the NW stuff, plus SBRM Threatened v2, Cool and Unusual Birds v3 and Corvus Corvus.

Also, while getting my new store ready; I did a couple things...

I slightly edited the Birds of Prey series to move the hawks and eagles to their own library .... every was in Birds of Prey (Order Falconiformes) and I split it into Birds of Prey1 (Order Falconiformes) and Birds of Prey2 (Order Accipitriformes). Rather than redownloading the sets, I suggest just moving the eagles, hawks and vultures to the Accipitriformes side.

...and 'O'hia lehua is now under the Nature's Wonders banner and has a brand new native DS version and Iray and Superfly support.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Since my is store is now complete and I'm finally back to working on my new projects and updates. What projects? SBRM Paridae of the World, SBRM Bee-eaters of the World and SBRM Woodpeckers of the World v2. Updates? European Edition2, Cool & Unusual Birds1, Africa, Woodpeckers1 and Second Edition.

Normally, I'd wait until late April to have another sale, but I decided to run a quick (4 days) "store opening" sale (30% off)-- hoping that will introduce me to the Renderosity crowd and help my regulars who have asked when everything was going to show up again, get the items they missed on the close-out sale.