• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks Alisa, for directly the thread to my dragon and damselflies

Are you looking for a specific dragonfly? One that move it's wings?

Yes, my dragonflies move move their wings to all natural positions... and in the case of the damselfly, they can fold their wings.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Along with the next batch of Songbird ReMix updates, I am working on a new Nature's Wonders model. Normally, I'd post lots of WIP shots but it appears modelers from the other place have taken note of my Nature's Wonders line and have been mimicking several of the products and moving ahead on some of my future products ideas. I find this flattering and troubling at the same time. Needless to say, I'm going to start showing my models much later in the development process when they are closer to being released.

I will say that I'm going to also do another habitat set, since (in cleaning up my folders) I found the start of a nice Salvia apiana (white sage) model. I started it around the Sagebrush habitat time but ended up choosing different plants. I'll add a few more plant species and maybe this will be an addition to that set or something new (my competition is, I'm sure, less interested in California native plants, hence this disclosure lol)

salviaapiana1.jpg

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Mint. The stuff that is always sprouting up around the water faucets. Lots of those in California. Although probably not where the sagebrush hangs out.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Maybe some day Lisa B or someone will do a pack of city weeds. Particularly the stuff that grows up through the cracks in the sidewalk.

Harimau

Eager
The Lake Titicaca frog, Telmatobius culeus is about the weirdest looking frog in the world. It is a large frog, up to 50 cm (20 in) in outstretched length and 1 kg (2.2 lb) in weight. It is a high altitude frog. It lives in Lake Titicaca with a surface elevation of 3,812 metres (12,507 ft). Being so large and living in a low oxygen environment, it has a very low rate of metabolism and lots of skin folds all over its body, increasing its skin surface area for oxygen absorption thus giving it a weird look. Perhaps a future inclusion in your frog collection.

Lake-Titicaca-frog.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Lake-Titicaca-frog-showing-ventral-side.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yes, I saw that frog in my research as well as the Dead Leaf Toad, Darwin's Frog, Budgett's Frog and others... I'm just not sure the mesh can handle the extremes and displacement only goes so far. I did have a number of frog volumes already planned but sales have been gradually more disappointing with the release of each volume. That doesn't mean I won't... the key factor in any project I do, is me wanting to do it. The volumes planned are Vol.4: Glass and Reed Frogs, Vol.5: Bullfrogs, Vol.6: Treefrogs, Vol.7: Leaf and Flying Frogs and Vol.8: Amazing Frogs (like the ones I started my comments with).

I have been working on a "new" Nature's Wonder model for the past month+ that I'll reveal soon (since I'm now working on the texture maps). I've been pretty tight-lipped about it so far-- mostly because PAs from the other place appear to copying my NW line/ideas. I guess I'm flattered ;)

I will offer a small hint now on the next product,... as you know in Nature's Wonders line there are animal categories,... expect a new entry under "Reptiles" (and no, I won't answer any of the guesses you might have, you'll have to wait until the reveal)

I also am working on more plant models, I've shown a sneak peak of the Salvia Apiana (White Sage) in the this thread. I'll also be doing Sphaeralcea ambigua (Apricot Mallow) and one other "Chaparral" based plant. These plants will be in the "Habitat" product format which means they have mesh and textures that hold up to macro camera shots. The photographs in both the Theodore Payne links I've given here are from my yard.

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
I think that is what we call Globe Mallow here in AZ It grows wild here and is one of my very favorite plants. It grows really well in the garden also- beautiful evergreen silvery grey leaves and the flowers are so delicate and gorgeously colored. I've grown the rose, white and pink variations but my favorite is the orange.

I'll be excited to see it in the store!

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yes, Apricot Mallow is sometimes called Desert Mallow or Desert Globemallow and is found throughout the Southwest US. A cultivar does have red ('Louis Hamilton' ) flowers and there is similar Sphaeralcea species that have pink, yellow and white flowers. I'll probably include some of those colors as extra materials.

I'm thinking my third plant will be a real show-stopping wildflower... Owl's Clover (Castilleja exserta formerly: Orthocarpus purpurascens) along with the native grasses it grows with.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Along with the next batch of Songbird ReMix updates, I am working on a new Nature's Wonders model. Normally, I'd post lots of WIP shots but it appears modelers from the other place have taken note of my Nature's Wonders line and have been mimicking several of the products and moving ahead on some of my future products ideas. I find this flattering and troubling at the same time. Needless to say, I'm going to start showing my models much later in the development process when they are closer to being released.

I will say that I'm going to also do another habitat set, since (in cleaning up my folders) I found the start of a nice Salvia apiana (white sage) model. I started it around the Sagebrush habitat time but ended up choosing different plants. I'll add a few more plant species and maybe this will be an addition to that set or something new (my competition is, I'm sure, less interested in California native plants, hence this disclosure lol)

View attachment 37715

This is a photo right? Amazing.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
I have been working on a "new" Nature's Wonder model for the past month+ that I'll reveal soon (since I'm now working on the texture maps). I've been pretty tight-lipped about it so far-- mostly because PAs from the other place appear to copying my NW line/ideas. I guess I'm flattered ;)

I know what you mean Ken. Just one example is our HiveWire Dog. We haven't been able to get our additional breeds out quick enough. And by sharing our work in progress on our forum, folks can see what our plans are, and because we're a small team, they can jump in front of us with their multiple resources to create a competing project before ours is fully realized. That's just the business of things I know, and the risk we take by creating something as common and popular as a Dog. But still Lisa and I choose to share projects, because that's what we do, for several reasons. Having said that, I truly understand why you're keeping this current project of yours under wraps until it's release is imminent. Smart of you. And no guesses from me since I know what it is, and it's amazing folks!! Another winner from Ken for sure. I'm amazed at what you can achieve as a team of one. I very much look forward to this new creation of yours. The modeling alone is so clean and well thought out. Can't wait to see it all mapped.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I know what you mean Ken. Just one example is our HiveWire Dog. We haven't been able to get our additional breeds out quick enough. And by sharing our work in progress on our forum, folks can see what our plans are, and because we're a small team, they can jump in front of us with their multiple resources to create a competing project before ours is fully realized. That's just the business of things I know, and the risk we take by creating something as common and popular as a Dog. But still Lisa and I choose to share projects, because that's what we do, for several reasons. Having said that, I truly understand why you're keeping this current project of yours under wraps until it's release is imminent. Smart of you. And no guesses from me since I know what it is, and it's amazing folks!! Another winner from Ken for sure. I'm amazed at what you can achieve as a team of one. I very much look forward to this new creation of yours. The modeling alone is so clean and well thought out. Can't wait to see it all mapped.

Even though I don't have that other dog and won't be buying it, I doubt anyone else could come close to the quality and detail of your small team.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I know what you mean Ken. Just one example is our HiveWire Dog. We haven't been able to get our additional breeds out quick enough. And by sharing our work in progress on our forum, folks can see what our plans are, and because we're a small team, they can jump in front of us with their multiple resources to create a competing project before ours is fully realized.

aha... that's why we haven't seen any WiPs of the Wombat from you ... :geek: :devil"

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear

BUT!! I looked at the DAZ dogs....and for any TRUE dog lover- the DAZ dog is just SAD!! I bout barfed.... sorry...just my opinion... ;)