• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've always loved Damsel/Dragonflies so I welcome this to your long list :D

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Going crazy all all my other projects, I took a couple days off and ended up starting my next "Nature Wonders" model, a Western Fence Lizard (that's I'm hoping be able to morph into many more species). It will probably be a while before I'm done with it, it's just roughed out, but it's a start...

Capture2.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hey it's the Gieco Gecko's cousin! Even kinda looks like that little gecko.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
OK, who's for animating Ken's Gecko . . . errr, uhhhm . . . Western Fence Lizard? :whistling:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Hey it's the Gieco Gecko's cousin! Even kinda looks like that little gecko.

I've thought about gecko, it will be tough since have an entirely different foot/toe structure. It might be easier going from a hybrid model for that. The current base should handle about 50-60% of all lizards. Perhaps, later I'll consider doing the other types; geckos, chameleons, salamanders, iguanas, horned lizards and larger ones (Komodo Dragon, Gila Monster, Monitor Lizards, etc).

While the Fence, Aligator Lizard and Skink are my primarily goals (they're all over my yard), there are flashier ones I'll do as well like the Rock Agama or the Ground Agama.

OK, who's for animating Ken's Gecko . . . errr, uhhhm . . . Western Fence Lizard? :whistling:

Part of the reason for me doing the lizard is to update an animated piece I did way back in 2002 with a very crude lizard model I created (when I was learning to model in 3D) set to Meredith Wilson's "Exercise Song" (sung by Robert Preston).

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've thought about gecko, it will be tough since have an entirely different foot/toe structure. It might be easier going from a hybrid model for that. The current base should handle about 50-60% of all lizards. Perhaps, later I'll consider doing the other types; geckos, chameleons, salamanders, iguanas, horned lizards and larger ones (Komodo Dragon, Gila Monster, Monitor Lizards, etc).

Oooh Komodo Dragon! *drools* He could be easily scaled up to fight the Gorilla!

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Great to see this happening too. So cool! We all know you'll create an accurate job with each one too.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well, I don't know about scaling up a Komodo Dragon to fight the Gorilla, but if we can get him to stand on his hind legs, I suspect he'd already be tall enough, if not taller.

According to Wikipedia, males can be up to 8+ feet long. Of course, I don't know how much of its tail length is included in that measurement, as it stated the tail can be the same length as the body. If that's the case, then yeah we'd need to scale him up some.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I love Ken's birds, and I love his butterflies and moths, I have absolutely no doubt about the desirability of his lizards!

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Cool, Ken! I'm looking forward to your skink, ours are little bronze coloured ones, so cute. I once found one in my seaboot, fortunately his wiggle made me aware before I squashed him with my foot and he lived to wiggle another day :)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I had to look it up because we have small ones around here but wanted to check.
"Size of skink depends on the species. Smaller species are usually 3 inches long, while large species can reach 14 inches in length."
I learnt out our Blue Tongue Lizard is classified as a skink (I love them) and they are quite big.

Miss B

CV-BEE
AHA! I was surprised at the size of the Komodo's, as they can run up to 8 feet. Sheesh, running into one of those is a scary thought. :(

Last edited:

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Komodos don't breath fire, but they have a nasty bite from all the bacteria in their saliva.