• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
There's an old saying around here that you can wait for a bus for ages...then ten (insert your own number here!) turn up at once. Same goes for dragonflies/damselflies I guess and boy these have been well worth waiting for! :wow:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Well Mytho, that may be an "old saying" around there, but around here, unfortunately, it's a sad fact, especially during the evening rush hour. ~shakes head~

Carey

Extraordinary
While looking cuddly and cute, the Golden Poison Dart Frog is definitely a "do not touch" with enough poison to kill 20 humans on his skin, making him the most deadly of the Poison Dart Frogs. The poison, when applied to poison darts, will keep its effectiveness for up to 2 years.

View attachment 26341

The Dyeing Poison Dart Frog gets it's name not from its terminal effects but from the other form of "dying"...

Local tribes use the poison from this frog for decoration. Feathers are plucked from the back of young parrots and the frogs are rubbed on the parrots' exposed skin. When the feathers regrow, the toxin causes them to appear yellow or red rather than green. These altered feathers are highly prized by the indigenous tribes.

View attachment 26340

...and, yes, these two are Iray renders
Cute and deadly, why do I have visions of a new scifi novel...great stuff

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Finally back to work after a week of cleaning, cooking and recovering :)

Here's the Australian Tiger (dragonfly)...

Aus Tiger.jpg

Stezza

Dances with Bees
:barefoot: Be afraid.... be very afraid :eek:

The cicadas are singing this time of year and boy it can be loud.... cicada shells are scattered everywhere.. they keep the birds away during this time with their singing and the dragonflies are also scarce... I think the fish ate them!

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks... I did some fine tuning on all the four dragonfly species for Volume I (before I move to the four damselflies).

You'll notice the new displacement map I've added to the abdomen (tail), I think it really adds to the final renders. Also, for the first time, I've showing the females I'm including. (Note: the reason for no female with the Swordbearer is that it is a newly discovered species and the information even on the male was scant. Scientists really don't know what and if they are any differences yet.... The Australian Tiger females looks the same as the males except there are no "fins" on the tail. The fins were created as part of the "Club Tail" morph. Maybe at some time in the future (if I add more morphs to the main model), I'll recreate that morph minus the fins for the female Tiger).

Dragonfliesv1.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'll say. I'm having a problem picking a favorite, as they're all so great looking. :)

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
These are so beautiful, Ken!!!!!!!!!!!! I have found if I turn the background to black, in my Poser 2014, render the dragonfly and save as png, there is of course NO background, but the wing "trans" or alpha that poser makes in it's png, makes the wings show up really nice! (I always make myself many png's to use in various art projects)

Miss B

CV-BEE
I render to PNG format in Poser as well, though if I'm using Bagginsbill's EnvSphere, or Snarly's EZDome, then those backgrounds don't render transparent. I still prefer PNG, though, as there's no detail loss like there is with JPGs.