• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Flint_Hawk

Extraordinary
Fantastic wing texture Ken! Love the bright color! I hope you will do a rainbow of different colors for the Dragonflies & DamselFlies! They are going to be great for scenes!

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
This morning I planned out my approach for the set... The base set has two models (Dragonfly and Damselfly). With the base set I'll be offering a couple species of each type (one American, one Eurasian).. here's my current choices:
  • Dragonflies:
    • Crimson Meadowhawk (Sympetrum illotum) (Western Pacific from Canada to Mexico)
    • Keeled Skimmer (Orthetrum coerulescens) (UK, Central and Southern Europe, Arabia)
  • Damselflies:
    • Orange-tailed Marsh Dart (Ceriagrion cerinorubellum) (throughout Asia and SE Asia)
    • Vivid Dancer (Argia vivida) (arid areas of North America)
There are m/f differences in some of the species above... I haven't decided whether to include them (keeled skimmer and vivid dancer) it really depends on how much more work they are and how the initial textures go.

Here's a better look at my Crimson Meadowhawk-- texture and settings are now pretty close to done on this

CrimsonMeadowhawk.jpg

From there, I do at least one volume of "Dragon & Damselflies of the World". I've done 3 with all of the other sets (moths, lizards, frogs) but how many dragonfly volumes really depends on the sets popularity. I know I want to do some of the spotted wing species as well as the Variegated meadowhawk and the Tasmanian darner.

@Janet- the links you showed above go just to the main page-- if you want your dragonfly considered please provide its name.

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Can you do this one? Ordonates Frame It's just beautiful!

The one that bit me was one of these: Ordonates Frame I remember the blue spots on it. But I like the other one better.

Sorry I can't... the website evidently is using the main page as a "frame" for its data so your copied links go to the frame... click some of the links you've posted and you'll see what's going on

If you just give me it's common or scientific name, I'll be able to search and find it.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Ah ok. The one that bit me looked like a Aeshna palmata

The one I like is a Lestes Unguiculatus

Wow! They sure come in a lot of colors!

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
thanks for the comments... here's the female Keeled Skimmer (pretty much the opposite color of the male) and also a difference in the eye spots. It only has a single spot pretty much center.

keeledskimmerF.jpg

...I also just created the template for my Damselfly wings... this clearly shows the difference from the Dragonfly wings shown above

Render 3.jpg

...on weirder note, I often work while listening to a random mix of music (and very, very random-- Wagner opera on moment, the Sex Pistols the next followed by Michael Feinstein doing showtunes), in any case, the mix came across an ancient John Hiatt song entitled, "I Killed an Ant with my Guitar". Pretty amusing song

KeeledSkimmers.jpg

Last edited: