• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Wow - that IS interesting!

The Ecuador Poison Dart Frog is about average in its toxicity for the family of the 170+ Poison Dart frogs. Some frogs on the lower end of the scale, simply cause pain, stiffness and cramping and that wears off in 3-4 hours. One of the most deadly, that I'll be creating soon, is the Golden Poison Dart Frog. An average wild Golden Poison Dart frog is generally estimated to contain about one milligram of poison, which is enough to kill about 10,000 mice or between 10 to 20 humans or up to two African bull elephant. The poison from this frog is what the Choco Emberá people use to tip their poison blow darts.

These dart frogs are hugely important to medical research. The toxins on their skin has produced medicines to fight HIV, Alzheimer’s, Cancer and produces painkiller x200 more powerful than opioids without the addictive properties, just to name just few breakthroughs due to these frogs...

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhhhh, that IS interesting. He certainly is a cute little sucker, but I don't think I'd want a frog for a pet. Fish tank yes, had one years ago, frogs . . . not so much.

Szark

Awesome
As promised Ken Not what I wanted to make but a nice two in one, a frog and updated lily pads

Southern Leopard Frog and Ken's Water Lilies. I wanted to do one with the Tree Frog but I haven't got a realistic tree branch mesh. When I have time to model one then I will try to do it.

Southern Leopard Frog S.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
While looking cuddly and cute, the Golden Poison Dart Frog is definitely a "do not touch" with enough poison to kill 20 humans on his skin, making him the most deadly of the Poison Dart Frogs. The poison, when applied to poison darts, will keep its effectiveness for up to 2 years.

Orange Morph Golden PD Frog DS.jpg

The Dyeing Poison Dart Frog gets it's name not from its terminal effects but from the other form of "dying"...

Local tribes use the poison from this frog for decoration. Feathers are plucked from the back of young parrots and the frogs are rubbed on the parrots' exposed skin. When the feathers regrow, the toxin causes them to appear yellow or red rather than green. These altered feathers are highly prized by the indigenous tribes.

Dyeing PD Frog DS.jpg

...and, yes, these two are Iray renders

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
WOW.. they are very cute but OK. I'll keep my mitts to myself thank you very much! lol

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Uhhhh, :yeahthat:

A 2-year effectiveness??? Wow, that's amazing.

Yup... you want to be careful in handling your poison darts. lol

The poison on these frogs really needs to be introduced internally to kill... so touching a frog might not have adverse effects, but eating with your unwashed hands after handling a frog might end up with a last supper scenario or the toxin entering through a cut or wound could bring death by a paper cut. Of course, eating a poison dart frog or being hit by a poison dart will have a much more direct effect.