• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Szark

Awesome
I have a pond in the garden, 6 years ago I counted over 60 frogs at one time, all at this time of year spawning. I used to control the numbers by removing some spawn but for the last few years I have left it due to the decrease in numbers. Population is increasing again.

The boffins say that the British common frog don't crook outside of spawning time well that is not the case in our pond. It used to be though and gradually it became much more nosier. It could be a case of cross breeding with another species or environment. I have no idea.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Here's a few examples of some of Frog morphs and features... I still have a ways to go on refining some of them and adding jcms for some of them. Top left shows the tongue morphs and the nictating membrane partially up... below it, the throat air sac is inflated and the bottom left and right show some of the extremes body shapes.

frogmorphs.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Me too, especially the upper right where he looks like he's sailing through the air ready to pounce. :)

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Here's my first texture test for the frog model. I'm using my "rough" the California Red-legged Frog texture here. This test involves simply throwing a diffuse texture over the model (nothing fancy yet-- no bump, displacement, normal or specular maps) so I can see how the model and morphs are behaving and where I need to adjust UVs. I do have some more UV work ahead of me but not too bad for a first try...

frogtexttest1.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks everyone... here's today's work with some cleaned up UVs, diffuse and bump/disp maps and material settings (hopefully the changes are noticeable lol)...

Render 3.jpg

For those wondering why I chose the California Red-legged Frog and the European Common Frog for my base set, it's because both frogs star in the most popular stories about frogs. The endangered California Red-legged Frog is the star of "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County" by Mark Twain and the European Common Frog is believed to be the one that inspired "The Princess and the Frog" (aka "The Frog Prince" by the the Brothers Grimm).

Last edited: