• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Nice work :)
I posted this in the Songbird ReMix thread and it probably belongs here more than there...

Love the look of the peafowl! Hope to see both it and the ruffed grouse in my runtime someday!

Thanks,... I should go back to work on them. I did a couple small projects (Moth v3/Habitat Extender) in order to have something new in the store. Many of my bird projects take large amounts of time to develop-- often many months (remember I'm doing everything myself-- researching, modeling, morphing, rigging, texturing, species creation and then packaging). It took me 4 weeks off and on and another 8 solid weeks to bring Nightjars to the store... and that's without distractions.

I've been distracted this week, for instance... I started the week not really wanting to work on the peafowl or grouse... so instead, I modeled and textured a plant native to our area, the White Sage (Salvia apiana). I now have a nice base twig in which I can use to develop a complete shrub, which in turn might evolve into another habitat set.

Today, I got sidetracked again and rough modeled a frog (which I thought might be my next Nature's Wonders set). I'm just a little listless... it's just hard for an artist who specializes in environmental art right now to stay positive and productive.

frog-wip.JPG

I guess I'll have to decide soon what's going to be the headliner for my Audubon's birthday sale (I'm leaning towards the peafowl-- and maybe the frog).

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
More about the frog model... my vision for it is similar to what I did with the lizards sets. I envision a diverse world-wide selection of frogs (base set and three volumes). Any plans for a Toad? Toads are actually a type of frog-- True frogs have wet skin and toads have dry, bumpy skin. They also lay their eggs differently. So, yes... toads will be included.

And for those who have look at both threads, yes... the frog screen cap in this thread shows an additional day of work. I added nostrils, the ear membrane and started refining the fingers and toes.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Moths of the World 3 and Habitat Extender are excellent products Ken! I can only stand in awe at the addition of frogs & toads (both much needed) to your repertoire! Respect as always! :applause:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
In planning the morphs (and geometry) needed for the various frog species I went through my book "300 frogs" and picked ones that appeal to me and present some common morph/geometry challenges to my base model. In this process, I found that there are a lot of frogs that are cool and that my projected base set and three volumes barely scratches the surface. I expanded my list dramatically... Is there that much interest in having a full spectrum of Frogs? I'm guessing the volumes will be spread out over a 1-2 year period.

Here's a layout of the species I've narrowed down and I've thrown in some picture links to show why I've gone frog-crazy...

Base Set
California Red-legged Frog from the Mark Twain story (USA), European Common Frog (Eurasia)

Frogs1
Northern Leopard Frog (NA), Southern Leopard Frog (NA), Great Barred Frog (Aus), Rice Paddy Frog (Asia), Iberian Frog (Eur), and the Giant Monkey Frog (SA)

Frogs2
Hochstetter’s Frog (NZ), Coqui Frog (Hawaii), Midas Glass Frog (SA), Marbled Reed Frog (Afr), Mascarene Grass Frog (Afr) and Forrer’s Grass Frog (NA)

Poison Dart Frogs (all from SA)
Harlequin Poison Dart Frog, Black and Yellow Poison Dart Frog, Strawberry Poison Dart Frog, Dyeing Poison Dart Frog, Golden Poison Dart Frog and
Ecuador Poison Dart Frog

Leaf and Flying Frogs
Splendid Leaf Frog (NA), Red-eyed Leaf Frog (NA), Spurrell’s Leaf Frog (NA/SA), Wallace’s Flying Frog (Asia), Reinwardt’s Flying Frog (Asia), and the
Harlequin Flying Frog (Asia)

Tree Frogs
European Tree Frog (Eur), Japanese Tree Frog (Asia), American Green Tree Frog (NA), Pacific Tree Frog (NA), White’s Tree Frog (Aus/NZ) and the African Foam-nesting Tree Frog (Afr)

Bullfrogs
Malaysian Bullfrog (Asia), Asian Bullfrog (Asia), Giant Bullfrog (Afr), American Bullfrog (NA), Madagascan Bullfrog (Afr) and the Eastern Banjo Frog (Aus)

Other Cool frogs: Painted Mantella, Green-backed Mantella and the Tomato Frog
Plus there's a these crazy looking ones (that my base model may or may not be able to do) like Darwin's Frog, Mexican Burrowing Frog or the Chacoan Horned Frog.

frog1.jpg

Last edited:

Varnayrah

Eager
Contributing Artist
Well... I'm definetively interested in a cool frog model. I like those small critters to liven up a scene and add detail and find myself using the moths and lizards constantly. I don't know if I need a full spectrum tough. What I would very much like to have in my runtime would be the european common frog since that's the one I'm constantly meeting here at home^^. A variety of 2-3 Tree frogs would be gtreat, as would some (or many :D) of those very colourfull poison dart frogs. Other than that, from your list I fancy the splendid leaf frog, glass frog and the tomatoe frog most, they are beautiful. That said, I'll pick up whatever you come up with and am looking very much forward to your frogs!

errr.. you aren't by chance considering to do some beetles someday?

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks.... one of the reasons for a large variety is also that I have a worldwide audience for my products (as I've found with my bird sets). I try to throw a smattering of everything in the sets/volumes that one reason there's a North American and European frog included in the base set. Admittedly, the Red-legged Frog is specific local one for me (and very endangered) but being the focal point of the Twain story gives it broader appeal. I tried where possible in the other sets to represent most of the continents where possible-- the poison dart frogs are exclusively South American.

errr.. you aren't by chance considering to do some beetles someday?

That might eventually happen, I seriously thought of adding some more insects to the Nature's Wonders line-- it's requests and my personal needs that get projects on my radar. Personal needs move the project forward the fastest. I wanted a frog for a heron image I was doing and found the zygote/daz frog was not what I remember it to be. Lizards and a better frog have been on my list to-do for a long, long time... I kept waiting for someone else to create them and finally decided it was time to do it myself.

As for Lizard and Moth expansions, I may do another lizard set eventually, probably no more moths unless I see something I have to have or a request list builds for them.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Frankly, I'm terrified of frogs, snakes and lizards. Over the years I have gotten better, so that I can look at them in the zoo, or in a book, and I even think that the poison arrow frogs are kinda cute. But, I know that they definitely have their place in the environment. I just cut them a deal, they leave me alone, I leave them alone. But, they do help to sell the reality of a picture.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I love most amphibians and reptiles, though admittedly, I have some issues with snakes. I was bit by a baby rattler while rock climbing many years back. I still have the scar on my thumb to prove it. Fortunately it release very little venom-- I surprised it as much as it surprised me. So I'll be the first to admit that some creatures are better admired at a distance.

Sadly, amphibians, such as frogs, are declining at alarming rates thanks to us. I'm hoping, as my bird, plant, moth and lizard sets have done, people will develop a better appreciation of frogs and their preservation.

As for the model... I'm still busily adding morphs, I'm up to about 70 now... a few more and I'll start building the first texture maps and see if all that hard work with the morphs pays off. Maybe some art by the end of the week ;)

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Awesome, Ken!
I'm just a feather and fur person, though my kids all like reptiles and amphibians and laugh at my issues. I think your works definitely bring notice to these areas, especially the ones that may not be as "pretty" as a horse or butterfly. Keep up the good work!