• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks everyone... Here's where the latest set of moths are from:

Joseph's Moth- Australia (Queensland)
Cinnabar Moth- Eurasia, New Zealand, Australia and part of North America
Madagascar Sunset Moth- Africa (Madagascar)
Festivum Wasp-moth- Central America and Florida, Texas and Mexico
Mariamne's Giant Flag Moth- Western US to Central America
Faithful Beauty Moth- Florida and Caribbean
Ranchman's Tiger Moth- Western US (primarily Oregon)
Clymene Moth- North America (from Maine and Quebec to Florida and west to Kansas and Texas)

I know. When I was still in High School I had a hard time telling the difference between butterflies and moths.

Before I did the moth sets, I thought all moths were dull grayish winged insects that come out at night and butterflies were the beautiful ones.
The only reason I decide to do some was because I needed a 'food' support package for my Nightjar set. Much to my surprise in my research, I found all of these amazing moths that were on par, if not more beautiful than butterflies. lol... 4 sets later, I still haven't created that dull gray moth I thought I'd be making....

The Easiest Way to tell a Moth from a Butterfly...
-All moths have fringed/hairy antennae, butterflies don't.
-Also butterflies don't fold their wings as moths do, they vertically raise them up over their backs.
-While some moths fly during the day, the majority are nocturnal-- butterflies are primarily diurnal (day fliers).
- A moth makes a cocoon, which is wrapped in a silk covering. A butterfly makes a chrysalis, which is hard, smooth and has no silk covering.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
While some moths fly during the day, the majority are nocturnal-- butterflies are primarily diurnal (day fliers).

Which is one reason many of us are surprised by the variety and beauty of them, I suspect !

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
And is a mystery, since most of those lovely colors don't show up at night. So why are they colored so vividly?
And of course they need to fold their wings, or they would be more easily spotted and eaten by predators during the day.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Images and some news...

Moths of the World Volume 3 should be out soon. It, plus all the previous Moth volumes, will have a new native DAZ Studio version with Iray shaders. The updates will appear when, or shortly after, Volume 3 is released.

Here's the Faithful Beauty Moth and Festivum Wasp-moth from Volume 3.
Render 1.jpg

I'm currently finishing the "Habitat Extender" (for Kiwi Burrow, Sagebrush Habitat and Saguaro Habitat). I'm using this opportunity to also update the Kiwi Habitat to support native DS 3Delight/Iray and Poser Firefly/Superfly formats (as I did in the later Habitat sets). I'll probably be eventually updating older sets such as Duck Pond, Hummingbird Garden, O'hia Lehua and Water Lily Garden to that format as well (and maybe add-on Habitat extender support for them).

Below is thew Kiwi Burrow using the Habitat Extender...
kiwihabitatextender.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
And is a mystery, since most of those lovely colors don't show up at night. So why are they colored so vividly?
And of course they need to fold their wings, or they would be more easily spotted and eaten by predators during the day.

My guess is that the reason for the colors has to do with the flowers they are attached to... even in low light (night/dusk), camouflage is important

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Some progress news... Moths of the World Volume III will be fluttering to your render engines soon.

When Moths V3 is released, all the older Moths volumes will also have updates (and be on sale and stacked):
-Native DAZ Studio support with Iray and 3Delight materials
-Poser support for Firefly and Superfly materials
I also submitted Habitat Extender today, so expect that in the store in February. It will support Kiwi Burrow, Sagebrush Habitat and Saguaro Habitat.
Kiwi Burrow has been updated to fit the "Habitat" series format (native DS version/3Delight, Iray, Firefly & Superfly materials) and will be re-released when the Extender hits the store. I'll probably be updating O'hia Lehua, Water Lily Garden and Hummingbird Garden to the "Habitat" format with "Extender" support too (if there is interest).

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Awe yeah!

These submissions look great too as always. Very smart products from the MacGyver of 3D Content Creation.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks Chris ;)

I'm repeating my message from yesterday now that the Moths v3 and the updates are out...

Moths V3 has been released and all the older Moths volumes have been updated and are on sale... Giant Moths(base set), Moths v1 and Moths v2.
The updates include:
-Native DAZ Studio support with Iray and 3Delight materials
-Poser support for Firefly and Superfly materials​

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Very cool, Ken!!!!

Thanks... I should also add that Kiwi Burrow has been reworked and the update is now available. The changes in Kiwi Burrow are:
  • the main model has been divided into layers (like the other habitat set are-- 5 models; base, tree stump, kidney ferns, shield ferns and bush lilies)
  • the set now has iray and superfly materials (and improved 3Delight ones)
  • the DAZ Studio version is now native DS

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Yeah, it's a good looking product too Ken, and a great sensible idea of yours to create this addition... or extender.

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist