• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Those are gorgeous Ken! If anyone else showed those to me I, too, would've thought they were photoshopped. Just amazing, and yes Pen, those would make some awesome fae wings. ;)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
The best bug/fairy wings I've ever found were Smay's for Mavka (I think the package is called Forest Fairy). I think the connecting section is supposed to be embedded in the back of the model.

Actually, it occurs to me that some kind of translucence in the connecting pieces might be helpful. Or some way to layer things. Like, being able to apply the character texture to a connecting piece so it matches the skin color, with a trans map so it fades out where the wing ribs take up, so their color show through. Most (not all) fairly wing packages have the ribs too solid in any case. Makes them look too heavy.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
The giant Atlas Moth with a wingspan of 250mm (9.8 inches) was the inspiration for the Japanese film monster, Mothra. The Atlas Moth is found in the tropical and subtropical forests of Southeast Asia, and is common across the Malay archipelago. Females are appreciably larger than males. Atlas moth silk is known as fagara. It is secreted as broken strands and is brown and wool-like. In India, these moths are cultivated for their silk in a non-commercial capacity. It is thought to have greater durability, than that produced by the related Silkworm moth (Bombyx mori). Japan only has the A. a. ryukyuensis subspecies which is native to the Yaeyama Islands, and is said to be the inspiration for the movie monster Mothra. While Mothra was a very loose interpretation of the Atlas moth, expanding the head size, bluing the eyes and altering the hind wing patterns, I've chosen for my render to simply giant size the Atlas moth.

While the Atlas Moth is huge, the Hercules Moth of Australia is even bigger, measuring up to 270 mm (10.6 inches).

Rendered in Poser 2014gd without Postwork. Models: City Ruins and Urban Sprawl (Stonemason), M1 Abrams Tank (KuroKuma), Flink's sunsets (Flink), Smoke and Flames Tool (Nerd3d) and Moths of the World V2 (Ken Gilliland)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Nice render Ken! Certainly not a setting I would expect to see such a beautiful moth flying around. ;)

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
ah ha! Maybe there's a reason I thought "B-52!" the first time I saw these huge moths! ;) I'm really getting to know these new models as I pose and play with them... I used the Luna moth in a Dawn image (will be posting that in that thread in a few) but I want to do one "like" my tomatoe/moth one too... the Luna Moth landed on a maple leaf- just for fun and to post in my Rendo Gallery. :)

Also, could not figure out what SSS would/could do for wings... but as I experiment, turning it off and on in posing test renders, I can see how luminescent they become! Really amazing!! oh and I hope you don't mind, Ken, I erased the mouth parts on the Luna moths, since they don't eat... (poor things... sigh).

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Also, could not figure out what SSS would/could do for wings... but as I experiment, turning it off and on in posing test renders, I can see how luminescent they become! Really amazing!! Ken, I erased the mouth parts on the Luna moths, since they don't eat... (poor things... sigh).

For those who don't know, the SSS on the wings, makes translucency, but that only appears when you direct light through them. My nightjars ( the first of my birds with that effect) do the same.

Yes, moths do not have mouths-- they use a feeding tube called a Proboscis. The proboscis ravels and unravels in my model as in real life. In "Mothra's" case (above) it also shoots out fire.

I do have sort of an opening, which is more like an indentation, where the Proboscis connects, that I guess you could call a mouth. I did this early on in the model, trying to figure out how things connected (some photos do show an indentation, some don't)... maybe I'll add a morph that removes it.

8 New Moths from Volume 1 should arrive very soon in the Hivewire Store... Here's another Moth from Upcoming Volume 2...

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
That's really really a WOW moth... sort of looks like something from Alice in Wonderland, it's so unusual!

but about the 'mouth' I looked and looked at google photos of Luna moths...and there is NO probis...spell.. STRAW (lol) at all.. it's said they take in NO nourishment at all, living off stored fat/nutrients inside their body, and only live 7-10 days... THAT is why I erased even the nectar sucking "mouth parts".... am I getting it wrong for this moth?