• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Oooooo, these are cracker! Any chance of NZ's puriri moth?!

Puriri moth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are 160,000 different moth species to choose from, so it's not that easy to narrow it down to a couple species. I will add it to my list. I'm guessing there will be at least two add-on sets (8 each) since the first one (that I'm working on now) doesn't come close to doing at the ones I want to do.

The first add-on set will have: The Garden Tiger Moth, One-eyed Sphinx Moth, Small Elephant Moth, Spanish Moon Moth, Oleander Hawkmoth, Regal Moth, Hercules Moth and the Giant Leopard Moth.

Prospective species for a second set include the Atlas Moth, the Hummingbird Hawkmoth, Suraka Silk Moth, Chinese Moon Moth and now the Puriri moth.

I will be doing some more plant models too since I have some work set for 2016 with xFrog doing California Native Plants (which I am well-versed in). Of course, I will still be also doing birds. I have my long-awaited Asian bird series, and Hornbills still to do, plus some new avian projects.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Yay! you are the bomb, Ken :) I was being cheeky when I asked but it would be so fab to have a NZ moth in my runtime. We be so small down here at the bottom of the world with less than the population of your average city overseas but we do have some amazing flora and fauna so :thankyou2:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yay! you are the bomb, Ken :) I was being cheeky when I asked but it would be so fab to have a NZ moth in my runtime. We be so small down here at the bottom of the world with less than the population of your average city overseas but we do have some amazing flora and fauna so :thankyou2:

...and I do eventually plan a NZ bird set as well

Flint_Hawk

Extraordinary
In case you hadn't noticed, an added advantage to Ken's set of Giant Moths is that they come in Human-sized versions! This really opens up the possibilities for your imagination! Here the Luna Moth takes Dawn for a ride!

Flight Of The Luna Moth

Flight Of The Luna Moth.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, his birds are like that too, or at least the birds I've played with are.

That's a great render Flint. :)

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yes, his birds are like that too, or at least the birds I've played with are.

That's a great render Flint. :)

Yes, you can scale-up the birds for humans to ride... but what FlintHawk was commenting on is that I've included prescaled versions of the moths with scaled materials (bump/displacement set to higher levels).

Here's a little more eye candy on the add-on set I've working on with 5 of the 8 moths. The largest one, the Hercules Moth has been scaled down for this render-- it's wingspan is 10.5 inches-- now that's a giant moth

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, you can scale-up the birds for humans to ride... but what FlintHawk was commenting on is that I've included prescaled versions of the moths with scaled materials (bump/displacement set to higher levels).
Ohhhhh, OK. :)

Here's a little more eye candy on the add-on set I've working on with 5 of the 8 moths. The largest one, the Hercules Moth has been scaled down for this render-- it's wingspan is 10.5 inches-- now that's a giant moth.
Wow, 10.5 inches? I'm having a hard time visualizing a moth with a wingspan that's almost a foot long. :wow:

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
These moths are truly realistic! There's nothing else like them on the market! What a great addition to Ken's birds! They make renders come to life!

This is the Death's Head Hawkmoth, with the Short-tailed Frogmouth & also the Eurasian Wigeon.

On Golden Pond

View attachment 712

OH MY.... So well done. I'm so loving your gorgeous work Flint!!!

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Oh wow, these are awesome Ken. Can't believe those patterns. So cool.

Thanks, Chris... while the patterning is pretty amazing, the coloring is what blows my mind. The fact that the hind wings could be so different than the fore wings on some species, or that there's which you don't see in butterflies on those wings (like pink and lime green). These moths have definitely reawakened some of my artistic demons which were pretty burnt-out after the Owl and Nightjar projects. I guess it shows that it's healthy to change-up for a bit every once in a while. :)

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
oh I can see how that would get your artistic muse going, Ken! Really wonderful... love the articulated "mouth" part (official name is just too hard to spell! LOL!) .... Amazing how each one is so fully pose-able!!

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks Lyne, and glad someone noticed the care that went into making the moth poseable-- that's one of my pet peeves with many of the models out there... yes, all the body parts move, but to actually use them,well.... it is a nightmare. Hopefully, I've made my moth fairly easy to pose and use :) BTW- I have IK set-up for each of the 3 sets of legs, so it's possible to take-off and land with some degree of realism.
--
Merry Christmas Eve... To my surprise, I find myself still working to the last minute before I go to family events.

Here's my just completed Oleander Hawkmoth (Oleander plants from xFrog)...