• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nature's Wonders Sneak Peek Thread

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Actually the poses are in pz2 format that does not show natively under the Content library so I had to resave those one at a time as .duf files but it was no big deal.

On a side note, not so funny or funny on how you look at it Ken, I just bet your looking forward to DAZ Studio 5! :p:cry::somad::eek:

Yup, I forgot about the poses... one thing to make sure of is to do a filtered save-- do not include the "Creation Controls" settings, because those will zero out the species selected. Alternately, you could load the pose first and then apply the Species settings/materials.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Yes, ran into some issues. Asking about this on the DAZ forums. There IS an issue with saving out the materials as the species do NOT come over. Plus in the iRay folder only about half of what I see in the pz2 folder are there like the green lizards, Geko and a few others so was trying to make use of the Character preset save option, no go and the Properties preset option that gives you allot of control but when I apply one species and then another the previous specie shape stays but the materials change. Weird and almost too many controls to figure out. SO perhaps turning off the Creation Controls in the Properties preset save out may fix this weird side effect? Geko shape is really cute!

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Hmmm, not tried that but doesn't that mean I'll get that annoying pop up asking me if I want to load a figure or apply to current figure?

Szark

Awesome
Just right click on the Scene Subset Icon and choose to Merge in to Scene. And the annoying pop only happens if you have some selected in the scene.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Hmmm, looking for of a double click and apply option. I think there may be a way via the Properties preset option but haven't figured it out yet!

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Again, for the species all you need to do is copy the .duf and .png files (leaving the poser .pz2 files) from the Poser runtime on your store copy and paste them onto the DAZ Studio side. Those .duf files are already made native studio "Properties" files-- there's no need to convert them. I copied them into the "Animals" folder and they work fine.

I should add that in version 4.9 they discontinued the "properties" save option (that's why you can't find it). In the property saved file, it is/was simply a material save which the morph settings added to it (found under the "animations" section of code). Since the removal of that save in 4.9, I hand-edit those morph properties back in to a "materials" saved .duf file

Last edited:

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Are you using the newest beta then Ken because I have Properties preset option in my version which is the 4.9 General Release.

Anyway, still curious as to why there were quite a few of the iRay materials not included like the green lizard family, gold dust and side blotched?

Here is Dawn and her new curious friend balancing on the ball! :p

Curious.jpg

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Yes, got those that's what prompted me to ask about the missing iRay options. I just didn't realize at the time that Ken had was hand editing them to put in the morph info too. One thing about technology. It's exciting and infuriating at the same time! lol

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I was using a older v4.9 and got the latest general release last week-- yes, properties is back and they finally have some 4k monitor support. It's always possible the properties was in the older version I was using and I once missed it-- I literally had to use a magnifying glass to see any of the text on my 4k screen lol.

The new updates at HW should include Iray versions for all the lizards. They weren't included at release because I just recently decided to start supporting it.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Hmmm, I just downloaded those the day before yesterday Ken. Unless there was ANOTHER update there are missing iRay skin options!

Also the poses DON'T work as expected, just a heads up. DAZ Studio does not respect the Easy Pose dials so my bragging about getting them saved out as duf files .... not working so got four of them redone but one is giving me hell, the "Heads Up" one, the program won't release a couple of the parameters so when I zero the little guy back out the lower abdomen and lower neck still has some pose info that's not zeroing. So not sure what that's about. Probably the ongoing bug in DS that gave me hell and Paul too a little while back. I did make a new pose called "Curious" as you see in the render above. That works fine because I didn't use the Easy Pose dials. I know Poser users are spoiled with that nice and convenient trick but if it's not going to save into a .duf file then it's no good for those that don't want to dive into the Runtime folder every time. I just put a shortcut on my desktop and drag and drop the poses I want to fix onto the lizard that that seems to work but then I have to go through, zero out all the Easy Pose stuff and recreate it in the normal rotations for the bone. Anton had a mess when he made Apollo as there were dials that did not translate over to DS when using the figure. We did eventually figure out a work around but Easy Pose has been around longer than Apollo has and that's still not savable for DS users. Oh well.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
The updates were put up on September 3rd. I put up Iray updates on my website on the Aug 28th. The updates are found in the "\Runtime\Libraries\Pose\Natures Wonders\Reptiles\Lizards\iRay Materials" folder of the zip.

I'm not sure to tell you what's up with your pose conversions.... using the DAZ Studio, I went through every pose via the non-native DS version and there was no issue at all with EZ-pose.

Update: I decided to try saving the Head Up pose in .duf format and the "Pose Preset" Save is not what you want to use. It doesn't save most of the morphs you need to make the poses. It also doesn't want to save most of what's in the BODY section (where all my morphs are). The reason Studio isn't picking up EZ pose is because it is read as a morph and ignored too. )

To save the poses use the "Property Preset" save instead.
  1. Go to the "Other" Section. Check the "Use Other Settings..." box and then uncheck all boxes in this section BUT Action morphs.
  2. Uncheck everything in the "Materials" section.
  3. Then save the pose. That works

Last edited:

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Thanks so much for the info Ken. Sorry to be a pain in your behind! lol

I did just try to download the "Lizards of the World Volume 2" iRay settings from your website. I keep getting a 404 error, the other two downloaded fine.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I'm glad someone else likes my arrangement, as a dual user (Poser/DS) it makes the most sense to me.

I go either way - I used to move all my stuff into the Poser Runtime for both programs, but once I started using DS 4, I started to access them both - to me, as long as everything for a particular product (one that works in DS) is either in the DS Library or the Poser Runtime is good (ie I wouldn't want to have to go to the Poser format to load the cr2s and then go to the DS Format to do the species), so the way you do things works perfectly for me, too!

The latest lizards have arrived! Yes, Volume III is here!
Nature's Wonders Lizards of the World Vol.3 - A Ken Gilliland 3D Creation

Whoo hoo!