• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Music From The Hive

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
This ones for Chris. An oldie but definitely goldy, though I suspect Frampton had only just got out of diapers when this one hit the charts! A memorable year for me because '67 was the year I invaded the RCA in London and the world was never the same again!

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I swear that if these songs get any older we're going to need time machines to find them. Mind you, time machines are exactly what music and songs are, right? Hands up all you guilty ones who ever included the word Cosmic in a sentence or ended every sentence with Man!

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
A tribute to one of Englands greatest eccentrics...Kevin Ayers. Lady Rachel was written for his daughter Rachel and remains as enigmatic and beautiful as the day he wrote it. I had the privilige of meeting Kevin at the Phoenix in Preston just after I returned from the RCA and spent an intense 30 minutes discussing Art and Surrealism with him and Lol Coxhill, one of the UK's finest saxophonists and flautists! A brilliant and lasting memory!

Last edited:

robert952

Brilliant
Slightly off the wall but I love the kid's reactions to 'our' music from way back when...

I never paid much attention to this thread. However, today while a contractor installs shades in our house, I thought I spend time looking through this. There's a lot of interesting music here. Too bad today we see a lot of 'video not available' notices. I will keep closer tabs on this thread.

After going through this thread, I got into my teaching mode. And once I get to the lectern, I can't help myself.

The part of the above video with the first song (le Freak about 1 minute in) and the kids' reactions reminded me part of a lesson I delivered. And their reaction to the music (dancing, singing, etc.) is a great example of my lesson.

I taught adults about motor control, automation control, and variable speed drives (which change speed of a motor electronically). Most of the participants were non-technical. However, by the end of the class, I'd have them wiring electric and electronic circuits to control motors. lights and other things.

I had a portion of the lecture sequence that started with me playing this video:

Invariably, by the end of the video, I'd see tapping feet, drumming fingers, and bobbing heads. You've all experienced that phenomena. You can't seem to help yourself. You get into the song. You want to start dancing. (The video probably had that effect on you if you watched all the way through.)

Do you know why that when you hear a song you tap your feet, drum your fingers, and move your head?

The brain loves patterns. When a pattern is strong and recognizable, the brain releases dopamine; the feel good stuff. The part of your brain that does this process resides in the parabelt region of the auditory cortex.

1709828592258.png

Not only that. that section of the brain processes the various frequencies in different areas. (The cochlea is part of the inner ear and connects to the brain in the auditory cortex.)

1709828861581.png

And the more frequencies processed the happier the brain. In turn, the brain activates your nerves that in turn activates the muscles of your shoulders, legs and hands.

Hence, your brain tells you to play more music like this because it likes it. And you get more dopamine, an increase in movement and the desire to keep it up.

What has that got to do with motor control? (Well, you might not care. But I did have to tie it back to the subject I was teaching.)

I took the class into the subject of variable speed drives which varies the power frequency to a motor which changes the speed of the motor to make it dance. And control fans, conveyor belts and other processes.

I know, it stretches the connection. But no apologies. That was why people would come back years later and relate parts of my classes from the simple push button, to drives, to automation control. I could show how things tie together.

And my dopamine comes from the joy of spreading information. Thank you for your indulgence.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
@robert952 as covers go that is a pretty good one. I am sure I have heard that cover before in a movie or TV show, but for the life of me can't remember where. I am partial to the Tennessee Ernie Ford version as I heard it a lot when I was younger, sitting in my Dad's darkroom while he developed photos and made prints. A few other oldies are stuck in my head from those days too (Elvira by the Oakridge Boys, King of the Road by Roger Miller, Smoke, Smoke, Smoke that Cigarette by Tex Williams, a few Phil Harris songs...). It's kinda an odd feeling when a Video Game uses older music these days that a lot of people find obscure, but the soundtrack takes me back to my youth. My tastes in music are...eclectic.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Speaking of eclectic and cover songs, I particularly like the following cover of Major Tom, and the Anime used for the video was a good movie too:

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
"I love music! Sitting here listening to some of my favourite songs got me thinking about how much influence it’s had in my life, from ideas for artwork to the way of life I chose. Looking through my collection made me realise what eclectic listening tastes I have. From Chopin to Pink Floyd and most points in between. So I decided on this thread to see what the Hive listen to, the artists you love, favourite songs, and artists. In fact everything to do with the music in your life!

For example, as a young art student in London in the 1960’s I was a Mod following bands like the Small Faces and The Who, until I went on holiday with my then girlfriend to Great Yarmouth in 1968. One day we went to an outdoor skating rink on the seafront where they played a strange little song about purple fishes. Enquiries informed me that the song was Tales of Brave Ulysses by Cream. A visit to the local record shop produced their album Disraeli Gears and a small pink notice advertising a gig by an up-and-coming band called Pink Floyd at the Floral Hall in nearby Gorleston. That was my first rock gig and the start of a lifetime’s dedication to Floyd and many miles of travelling ending with their final gig at Earl’s Court. In short I became a total rock music fan!

So over to you. What are your favourite band/artist? Favourite song or songs? Most memorable musical memories? And tell us why".

That's how I opened this thread and it is amazing that its still active! I don't think many people realise how much influence music can influence their lives, but it does! For myself, it was the visual arts and as a (not very good) guitarist. At least the music played on and I got to meet some interesting people. One of my tutors was Storm Thorgerson of Pink Floyd cover fame. Incidentally, that first gig ended up with me helping to load their gear into the back of the Commer van they used after the gig. (Thank God they hadn't progressed to multiple artics by then). Occasionally we used to see a young guy called David Bowie who was living in the back of a van near Tin Pan Alley! Later on my eldest daughter was becoming quite an accomplished keyboard player until she gave it up because teens had other things to think about. Fortunately her daughter Sara redeemed the family honour when I started to teach her guitar at the age of five and is now a blues muso more than capable of blowing me right out of the water, (though I am occasionally permitted to sit in on bass at rehersals [Oh frabjous day!]). Daughter number two loved to dance and moved to Canada for a stint with Cirque Du Soliel before retiring to give birth to Lucy and moving back to the UK. She now lives next door and Lucy is my star pupil as she is devoted to her artistic career. (She's just turned 9 so I hope it lasts!) Circles within circles and the beat, like Tolkiens road, goes ever on. Anyway. Speaking of Mister Bowie, this is my favourite song of his among many. Recorded shortly before he passed away for his album The Next Day. His voice is haunting. RIP! Old friend and hero!

robert952

Brilliant
I have a very eclectic taste in music. And what I listen to depends on my mood.

Music is some part of my daily routine. I have tinnitus in both ears, so I use music to help drown out the ringing. Even as I write this, I have one of my play lists on YouTube running.

I also like to share music. Which makes it surprising I didn't follow this thread until now.

Every Thursday I send a bunch of memes and jokes (about 30 each week) to a list of retirees and ex-coworkers. (I've added others over the years.) The first Thursday of each month I also send links to videos that I find on YouTube. (My line is: 'I waste my time on YouTube so you don't have to'.)

This week (once I finish this thread) I'm going to send some Irish music to prep for St Patrick's Day. That's what I was listening too as I thought about this month's music email.

My go to performers are usually guitarists like Tommy Emmanuel. I also like Ottmar Liebert, Armik, Peter White and maybe some old Leo Kottke. While I don't have any of his music in my collection, I do like to see what Marcin is doing on the guitar when I surf YouTube. And occasionally I'll dig out Jerry Reed and Chet Atkins. That list of performers includes a wide array of styles and music.

I like older jazz stylings, blue grass, and even new age. I even like videos which show of other talents like this 'swing dance' performer. The song is nice, too.

Again depending on my mood. And my need.

I'll end this lengthy post with this anecdote. I had my son's with me as I had to get something from the office. They came to my desk and saw my stack of CDs. The oldest son asked, 'Aren't you afraid someone would take my CDs?' The youngest quickly replied, 'It's Dad's music. Who else would want it?' Hmm...maybe they like that I play it for them?

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
James Marshall Hendrix. One of the worlds most influential guitarists despite a career which spanned just four short years until his death at the age of twenty-seven. Voodoo Child, a slight return and JImi letting it rip!

robert952

Brilliant
For the music buffs (and Ortega fans), Jenna Ortega plays the cello in Wednesday (Netflix series - Wednesday Addams in school). I liked the series and thought the storyline decent.

Though she did play the piece, some say the piece can't be played on one cello as depicted in the scene. So what? Still a great scene as she plays the Rolling Stones' 'Paint It Black."

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Rather like the arguement as to how many guitars there are in Layla. I suspect the same kind of people count the rivets on model locomotive tenders to ensure the are 'correct'. It was a great interpretation of that Stones song though wasn't it?
Love seeing Charlie on drums too. SWeet memories!

robert952

Brilliant
:D I resemble that remark about rivet counters. :D

I build model boats/ships and belong to a group (Nautical Research Guild). The group's motto: Advancing Ship Modeling Through Research. (The organization has been around since 1948.) Some members can spot errors in a model ship's rigging. A few will tell you the rigging lines or a deadeye used for a given model is out of scale. I let them have their online discussions.

I have run into several model railroad (and model plane) rivet counters . They can be a hoot in there emotions on the subject.
BTW - I don't consider myself a rivet counter. I am working on a model of a Maine peapod from a 1937 drawing. While my model will be very close to accurate, there will be a rivet or two missing. I have the excuse that many versions and modifications of a given work boat were based on local conditions. So, there's no single 'correct' model.

And to get back on point with music, there are many talented artists who can do things one would think impossible with their respective instruments. For example, since you mention Layla, here's this cover by Marcin Patrzalek. No controversy here - one guitar.

Or his arrangement of Bach's Toccata. To just listen, you'd think it not possible on one guitar. And while there's a 'split screen' section, I don't think it's overdubbed. It still sounds like only one guitar.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
On rivet-counters I'm with you all the way! In the past I have built various scale (as-near-as-possible) model buildings in various sizes for railway modellers from simple lineside huts to company-specific station buildings. I like history more than the railways themselves, expecially the people who worked and lived on them and the architecture and company-specific colour schemes (a positive minefield) they used for the companies. A sort of real-life 3D version of something which also made for a very lucrative sideline. Yes! We all want things we create to be as close as possible to the real thing. We wouldn't be human otherwise, be it railways, maritime or air travel, or in my case achitecture! Railway modellers as rivet counters are a particular virilent breed and can frequently descend into pure childishness! My career in that direction came to an end with one particular clique who were modellers of the Carlisle and Settle line and commissioned a three-arch overbridge in stone to span the track. Three months work hand carving stonework after researching the bridge in question, including visit, a further two months painting the structure (my favourite part as always) using multiple layers to get the desired effect of weathered stone appropriate for the area and environment and off it went by courier to the group with the bill, (which incidentally came in under my estimate). Another two months without word (or payment) and the bridge turned up slightly the worse for wear having been fitted and removed from the layout with a note saying that they regretted that they were not completely satisfied with my work and requested that I repaint it and send it back for further consideration. Long story short! They weren't satisfied that the colour of the mortar was correct. They had actually spent two months arguing amongst themselves about a colour which they could have checked for themselves simply by visiting the bridge in question as I did! Apparantly, it got so bad that two of them had actually stormed off after throwing hissy fits and resigned from the group. I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that the leader of said railway modellers was a government-employed nuclear physicist! Rant over! I'm going to calm down by cuddling my pet rock while you listen to the song which introduced me to Joe Bonamassa...Sloe Gin. One virtuoso, one Les Paul guitar, pure bliss!
Aah! I feel much better now!

Last edited:

DanaTA

Distinguished

I build model boats/ships and belong to a group (Nautical Research Guild). The group's motto: Advancing Ship Modeling Through Research. (The organization has been around since 1948.) Some members can spot errors in a model ship's rigging. A few will tell you the rigging lines or a deadeye used for a given model is out of scale. I let them have their online discussions.

I have run into several model railroad (and model plane) rivet counters . They can be a hoot in there emotions on the subject.
BTW - I don't consider myself a rivet counter. I am working on a model of a Maine peapod from a 1937 drawing. While my model will be very close to accurate, there will be a rivet or two missing. I have the excuse that many versions and modifications of a given work boat were based on local conditions. So, there's no single 'correct' model.

And to get back on point with music, there are many talented artists who can do things one would think impossible with their respective instruments. For example, since you mention Layla, here's this cover by Marcin Patrzalek. No controversy here - one guitar.

Or his arrangement of Bach's Toccata. To just listen, you'd think it not possible on one guitar. And while there's a 'split screen' section, I don't think it's overdubbed. It still sounds like only one guitar.

He is very good, but what you see is not what you're getting (Layla). The sound of the guitar is consistant, but he is in various environments. It just wouldn't sound the same. Some percussive moves don't jive with the video. It may have been recorded at once, but not with the video. Most likely, he performs it slightly differently each time.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary

I guess I'd better mention Jimi Hendrix whose speciality was his ability to play lead and rhythm at the same time. But that guy takes it to a whole other level!

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Not before now but I'm always on the lookout for new music. He sounds like a guy with a similar background to Hendrix and my own personal favourite, Snowy White. Sessions musicians who turned out to be way better than the guitarists they were sitting in for. Love that version of Over The Rainbow. Thanks! This guys definitely on my watch list!