• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Lully's Hw Products

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I have a question. Please don't attack me. It's really just curiosity on my part, but sometimes asking questions seems to get me yelled at. If you need to make more money, limiting your product line and part of your customer base seems counterintuitive to me. Would it not make more sense to raise your prices on some products instead? I know that this market seems to resist price increases, but they seem okay with letting people struggle to make ends meet. And I'm not even talking about a lot of money. I got sliced and diced a while back for daring to suggest that charging 50 cents for converting an object from one format to another was okay. But if the alternative is to see you cut out clothing for a figure like Dawn altogether, maybe you could do a limited run of clothing for her instead, with an small price increase and see how that affects your sales.
Have you read SickleYeild's essay on this subject and others similar to it? It's on devientart. If you haven't, I'll see if I can dig it up for you. It lays out the difficulties and reason for her, at least. I'm sure it's similar for any artist that makes a living from their art, rather than it just being a hobby.

eclark1894

Visionary
Have you read SickleYeild's essay on this subject and others similar to it? It's on devientart. If you haven't, I'll see if I can dig it up for you. It lays out the difficulties and reason for her, at least. I'm sure it's similar for any artist that makes a living from their art, rather than it just being a hobby.
I'd love to read it if you can locate. Thank you.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
I think the best way to think of it is in terms of work hours. Even if you're just going to make a Dawn version of dynamic clothing, you need to convert the clothing, test it yourself, hand it over to beta testers, make thumbnails, and make promos. That's even if it's just a freebie. If you can do all of that in even 8 hours, you're a rock star. And that's a full day of work that you _could_ be using on something that makes you much more.

If you want to convince someone, convince Poser users that they need to stop talking about how they "have so much for V4" if they ever want anything new. They have so much for V4 because they each invested hundreds and hundreds of dollars in her, sometimes just in one month. And that was after investing similar amounts in V1-V3. The Poser community will eventually have zero support if no one's willing to invest in new content until they get a free equivalent of what they spent so much money on, they needed software to keep track of what they'd already bought.

And I say that as a vendor still making Poser content. For now.

eclark1894

Visionary
I think the best way to think of it is in terms of work hours. Even if you're just going to make a Dawn version of dynamic clothing, you need to convert the clothing, test it yourself, hand it over to beta testers, make thumbnails, and make promos. That's even if it's just a freebie. If you can do all of that in even 8 hours, you're a rock star. And that's a full day of work that you _could_ be using on something that makes you much more.

If you want to convince someone, convince Poser users that they need to stop talking about how they "have so much for V4" if they ever want anything new. They have so much for V4 because they each invested hundreds and hundreds of dollars in her, sometimes just in one month. And that was after investing similar amounts in V1-V3. The Poser community will eventually have zero support if no one's willing to invest in new content until they get a free equivalent of what they spent so much money on, they needed software to keep track of what they'd already bought.

I was actually thinking of starting a thread on the topic over at the SM Forum if you'd like to chime in.

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
I'd be happy to chime in. And to add why vendors are necessary to Poser's success, assuming a majority of- or even a significant amount of- Poser sales come from the content community.

Hornet3d

Wise

Guilty on all counts including needing the software to keep track but these days I only use a V4 outfit on Dawn if there is not Dawn equivalent available. I must have 90%+ of Lully's dynamic clothing for Dawn look every few weeks for anything new. If there si nothing around for Dawn I look at the vendors still creating content for Poser and give them my custom. I am not back up to the spend rate I was when V4 was the only figure to use but most of that is because the content is just not there to buy.

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
QUOTE '''I have a question. Please don't attack me. It's really just curiosity on my part, but sometimes asking questions seems to get me yelled at. If you need to make more money, limiting your product line and part of your customer base seems counterintuitive to me. Would it not make more sense to raise your prices on some products instead? I know that this market seems to resist price increases, but they seem okay with letting people struggle to make ends meet. And I'm not even talking about a lot of money. I got sliced and diced a while back for daring to suggest that charging 50 cents for converting an object from one format to another was okay. But if the alternative is to see you cut out clothing for a figure like Dawn altogether, maybe you could do a limited run of clothing for her instead, with an small price increase and see how that affects your sales.'''

Raising prices would equal zero or very few sales, no one in this day and age wants to pay the full price on anything now, let alone hiked up prices; they wait for the big sales, and the vendor has to hope that the customers impulse to buy has not waned by the time the sale comes around. A lot of customers do not consider the work that's gone into making it and the time spent, they only see an end result and consider if the price is worth that to them.

Personally, DAZ products bring in a much higher income. dforce pushed me into the top sellers at 'the other store' straight away and kept me there. It is sad to say, but this is something that poser dynamics would never do, even if I were to put three products out a week for the most popular figure that poser customers use; this, of course, would impossible to achieve. All of my time needs to be spent on things that will bring in a decent amount of money.

You also have to remember that a lot of customers are hobbyists, their own disposable income is limited in a lot of cases, so if the prices are higher, then they will just forget it, or wait for a cheaper alternative/deep sale. What they may have bought is now too much for them (if hiked) and as a result, they don't buy.

Hornet3d

Wise
QUOTE '''I have a question. Please don't attack me. It's really just curiosity on my part, but sometimes asking questions seems to get me yelled at. If you need to make more money, limiting your product line and part of your customer base seems counterintuitive to me. Would it not make more sense to raise your prices on some products instead? I know that this market seems to resist price increases, but they seem okay with letting people struggle to make ends meet. And I'm not even talking about a lot of money. I got sliced and diced a while back for daring to suggest that charging 50 cents for converting an object from one format to another was okay. But if the alternative is to see you cut out clothing for a figure like Dawn altogether, maybe you could do a limited run of clothing for her instead, with an small price increase and see how that affects your sales.'''

Raising prices would equal zero or very few sales, no one in this day and age wants to pay the full price on anything now, let alone hiked up prices; they wait for the big sales, and the vendor has to hope that the customers impulse to buy has not waned by the time the sale comes around. A lot of customers do not consider the work that's gone into making it and the time spent, they only see an end result and consider if the price is worth that to them.

Personally, DAZ products bring in a much higher income. dforce pushed me into the top sellers at 'the other store' straight away and kept me there. It is sad to say, but this is something that poser dynamics would never do, even if I were to put three products out a week for the most popular figure that poser customers use; this, of course, would impossible to achieve. All of my time needs to be spent on things that will bring in a decent amount of money.

You also have to remember that a lot of customers are hobbyists, their own disposable income is limited in a lot of cases, so if the prices are higher, then they will just forget it, or wait for a cheaper alternative/deep sale. What they may have bought is now too much for them (if hiked) and as a result, they don't buy.

Actually, while I do buy lot of content in the sales, I do pay full price for the product if I have a an idea how to use it immediately, my wish list is often a collection of products that I think I might use but not right away. If a sale comes along in the meantime I could be tempted but if not, if/when an idea does come to mind I will pay full price. I do accept that this is probably not the norm but I doubt I am not the only one to do so, I guess this is partly because I have a little money to spare but very rarely have spare time. I have also always found your prices to be on the low side and I would happily have paid more but then I accept I am again probably very much alone in that.

You have to go where the market takes you and much as I now love I the cloth room in Poser I know there is a great reluctance to use dynamic clothing, that has been the case for as long as I can remember but it is a shame.

I wish you every success in pastures new but sadly, as I am a Poser only user I will not be adding to your income which is a shame but my sincere thanks for all that you have produced for Dawn until this point.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I SO understand Dawn's viewpoint... sadly (as a former 3D store owner) once coupons were a reality at Rendo, people (including me, blush!) I won't buy unless I can USE a coupon...or there is a massive sale like is going on at Rendo for Black Friday... At my store I NEVER had coupons... we just priced our items as low as we could and counted on "sell more for less" ... which worked FOR A WHILE, but when my health (joints) gave out, I was not able to continue putting out a new BIG product at least once a month to keep interest high... my joints (frozen shoulder, finger joints) gave out BECAUSE I "killed myself" working 12 hour days - I mean CONSTANT work at doing ALL the product processes all by myself - from modeling to rigging to texturing, promos etc..... it takes a massive amount of time AND a LARGE MARKET to make any profit.

FYI... see my post in Across the Community for Karanta's dynamic clothes... her cloth is not on par with Dawn's (Lully's) BUT she is making a range of things for Dawn... (and 3-4 other figures at the same time) so it fills the gap a LITTLE bit... still I ADORE what Dawn has made for Poser-Dawn...I mix and match her outfits, often doing partial renders, layering, etc. to make even more use of her dynamic pieces...