• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Lully's Freebies

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thanks Seliah...I did know it was a Poser file I was just unsure whether there were seamless textures included.

I don't think I've heard much about the mt5's previously though, I thought most people used mc6's even when including the different nodes in the material room.

Well, even with a seamless tile included within the .mt5, it's a matter of .mt5's not being usable for DS. Even if we go into the Poser format areas of our content library, DS won't see or show the files.

An .mt5 is a Poser material. Singular. It's a single material. This does the same job as a DS shader. DS shaders don't work in Poser, and Poser materials don't work in DS. And just like DS shaders, these .mt5 files can be as simple as just loading seamless tiles, or they can be as complicated as some of the layered DS shader products are.

A .mc6 file is a Poser material collection. Plural. It's a collection of materials. This does the same job as a Poser .pz2 MAT file, or a DS material preset. It's a collection of materials, usually applied to a specific item, with specific material zones. It's a MAT pose for Poser in the same way that a DS material preset is a MAT pose for DS. This file format WILL work to a very limited degree inside of DS.

.mc6 files can be converted to .pz2 format for use within DazStudio, if the user prefers to have their mats under the POSE folder (I often do this, because frankly it takes entirely too much clicking to move between Pose and Materials for a specific item for my tastes. I have a LOT of content. LOL) Understand that when converting them, any Poser-specific material settings that might be part of the MAT file (such as blinn, phong, glossy, math, etc) will NOT transfer over to DS, just like when using a .mc6 file in DS, those more specific material nodes won't transfer. GuardianAngel is absolutely correct on that. :)

Unfortunately, if I wanted to set up a seamless tile material - such as what Dawn did here with these - there is no good way to make that in a Poser file and have it work for DS users. The two programs do not read each other's shaders/material nodes/channels. DS shaders need to be built in DS, and Poser materials have to be built inside of Poser.

------------

FYI - Dawn - I'm almost done with the DS mats for you. I should have the files for you a little while from now to distribute. :D

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
From what I've read, the GPU rendering system only works with nVidia graphics cards. I don't have one on this laptop, so would have to go with CPU rendering until I get a new computer with an nVidia card. My old Dell laptop had one, and I miss it.
I have an nvidia card and just updated my driver and now it wont render, lin gpu, oh well that lasted long, back to cpu!

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Thanks Dawn, I thought that would be the case...the standard surface tab in DS allows for Scaling but you can also add a tiler brick in shader mixer also.

Thanks Seliah...I did know it was a Poser file I was just unsure whether there were seamless textures included.

I don't think I've heard much about the mt5's previously though, I thought most people used mc6's even when including the different nodes in the material room.

I use mt5 a lot, in all the dynamics the mats are mt5 so you can add them to anything, mc6 you are restricted to the garment/prop and mat zones.
its good to know about the scale tiler brick, will remember that in future, i do like options for rescaling , it comes in handy when you want to add the same mat to two different garments which have different uvmaps,

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
FYI - Dawn - I'm almost done with the DS mats for you. I should have the files for you a little while from now to distribute. :D

Thanks for doing those :D

Talking on converting I found this little gem a while back, it changes the extensions in bulk to what you want, just highlight the files in Windows explorer and drag them to the little box on the app window then add the ext you want (without the dot) and they will all convert, do copies as they overwrite the originals, what with this and notepad+++ you can do dozens in a matter of a few clicks

Extension Changer

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Well, even with a seamless tile included within the .mt5, it's a matter of .mt5's not being usable for DS. Even if we go into the Poser format areas of our content library, DS won't see or show the files.

An .mt5 is a Poser material. Singular. It's a single material. This does the same job as a DS shader. DS shaders don't work in Poser, and Poser materials don't work in DS. And just like DS shaders, these .mt5 files can be as simple as just loading seamless tiles, or they can be as complicated as some of the layered DS shader products are.

A .mc6 file is a Poser material collection. Plural. It's a collection of materials. This does the same job as a Poser .pz2 MAT file, or a DS material preset. It's a collection of materials, usually applied to a specific item, with specific material zones. It's a MAT pose for Poser in the same way that a DS material preset is a MAT pose for DS. This file format WILL work to a very limited degree inside of DS.

.mc6 files can be converted to .pz2 format for use within DazStudio, if the user prefers to have their mats under the POSE folder (I often do this, because frankly it takes entirely too much clicking to move between Pose and Materials for a specific item for my tastes. I have a LOT of content. LOL) Understand that when converting them, any Poser-specific material settings that might be part of the MAT file (such as blinn, phong, glossy, math, etc) will NOT transfer over to DS, just like when using a .mc6 file in DS, those more specific material nodes won't transfer. GuardianAngel is absolutely correct on that. :)

Unfortunately, if I wanted to set up a seamless tile material - such as what Dawn did here with these - there is no good way to make that in a Poser file and have it work for DS users. The two programs do not read each other's shaders/material nodes/channels. DS shaders need to be built in DS, and Poser materials have to be built inside of Poser.

------------

I use mt5 a lot, in all the dynamics the mats are mt5 so you can add them to anything, mc6 you are restricted to the garment/prop and mat zones.
its good to know about the scale tiler brick, will remember that in future, i do like options for rescaling , it comes in handy when you want to add the same mat to two different garments which have different uvmaps,

:imbiggrin: Yep! The figures are all normal scale Pendraia. I am looking forward to seeing Diva with the Rocking Horse!
Thanks Ladies for the explanations...I'm still very much a noob at Poser.

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Okay folks, we have a DAZ STudio version in the resources department
You get extras courtesy of Seliah (Childe of Fyre) :D

DSHWShaders.jpg

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I just wanted to make a couple of quick notes here...

— The "basic" shaders make use of the default Daz Studio shader (dzdefault).
— The "advanced" shaders are making use of AOA's SSS shader for DS.
— Normal maps, where they apply, are in use on the "basic" shaders, but NOT on the SSS shader versions. This is because of tiling settings. The SSS shader does not apply tiling to normal maps, unfortunately, so I had to leave the normal mapping out of the SSS shader versions.
— If the patterns look to be either too big or too small for whatever surface you're using them on, just adjust the horizontal and vertical tile numbers until you have something that looks the way you want it to.
— Likewise, if the material has too strong of a bump or displacement setting for your liking, you can just adjust the values for bump or displacement as need be.

That about does it. :) Thanks again, Dawn, these are some really cute texture tiles.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
How does one actually download the tiles? I don't see a link or a download button. Are we supposed to just take a screenshot?

Well, No. Still no download button. And now a screenshot wouldn't show the pattern.

(and now the Edit button erases previous edits.)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Jodel,

For the DS version, it's in the Resources area. Go up to the top of the screen, and click on "Resources." That download is there through that part of the site.

I'm not sure what happened to the Poser version's link! That is very odd, because I downloaded it myself, obviously, or we wouldn't have the DS version in the first place. I can't find the link now, either. Very strange.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That's odd Seliah, because I'm seeing the links for both the Poser and DS versions of those shaders Dawn made available.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Thank you! I'll know to look there after this.
These look like nice presets.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That's odd Seliah, because I'm seeing the links for both the Poser and DS versions of those shaders Dawn made available.

Yes, it's very odd. I can get to the DS version download through the Resources tab, but the link to the original (Poser) version is somehow MIA for me. Don't see a link in the post anywhere, and don't see it in the Resources section, either. It's very strange.

Or... I could just need my eyes checked and be missing it somewhere on the page! LOL

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Maybe it ran off with the Edit button. The one that disappears from one's post after a day or so.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, it's very odd. I can get to the DS version download through the Resources tab, but the link to the original (Poser) version is somehow MIA for me. Don't see a link in the post anywhere, and don't see it in the Resources section, either. It's very strange.

Or... I could just need my eyes checked and be missing it somewhere on the page! LOL
Hmmm, I see it up in the Resources area, and I also see it in the right column on the front page of the forum where there's a section that lists the latest uploaded Resources. Dawn's has a Poser graphical tag in front of it, and yours has a Daz Studio graphical tag in front of it.

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
lol I just seen this convo on the links, there is an entry for daz and another for poser, it wouldn't let me add a second link to the original freebie entry. I like the daz and poser tabs, makes it easier for those who want either/or.

Hope all had a good Christmas, I'm all 'chocolated' out!

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
FYI, Dawn.... your very first post is impossible to read with the forum on default color scheme! I know there are lines of words...but they are yellow on white!?!? I had to "highlight" the lines to read them! :(