• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Ken Gilliland's Products In Renders

Carey

Extraordinary
Well darn, thanks ever so much for the attention, truth be known I sort of loaded the deck here, No one can resist a sad clown, it is written in our DNA....lol

I am having the time of my life right now, I used to amaze people with my 2D art and sculptures, I pretty much thought my life was over when I lost the major use of my hands for the most part. It took the better part of ten years to make this come back, so I am smiling from ear to ear and so very thankful and grateful to sort of be at the top of my game once more!

Szark

Awesome
I feel the same Carey. Miss B knows a bit of my non existent artistic outlet for over 40 years and no I don't call myself and true artist but I am surprised with what I can do now with Daz Studio etc.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I think a lot of us feel that way Szark, no matter the software we use. I've never considered myself an artist either, yet over the years I've surprised myself now and then with renders in either Bryce, DS or Poser that have really come out better than I ever expected.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Great images, everyone!

....a true artist?

I wish I could say the same, but from the moment I could hold a crayon, I knew that I was an artist (of course whether I turned out to be a good one is open to debate lol). My website renovation is pretty much complete for now in my art gallery section, so you can judge for yourselves.

As far as bird imagery, that came later in my life with the advent of 3D art. I was drawn in subject matter immediately to wildlife imagery in my 3D Renders. My frustration in the lack of good 3D bird models led my to start creating my own and now a 1,000+ species later, I still find myself working to create the ultimate 3D bird lol

My first bird (and plant) model from 2000...

wildflowers.jpg

and last week's render of the Oriental Stork...

oriental Stork.jpg

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I wish I could say the same, but from the moment I could hold a crayon, I knew that I was an artist (of course whether I turned out to be a good one is open to debate lol). My website renovation is pretty much complete for now in my art gallery section, so you can judge for yourselves.

I vote (channelling Chris):

YEAH, baby!!!

Beautiful stuff there, Ken!

Carey

Extraordinary
my first made model was made in ray dream studio. It had so many polygons that it barely would load...looks?well, don't worry you.ll never see it. I burned it, then buried it...deep...lol

The part that has always amazed me is how your wings fold, almost poetry in motion I often try to reverse engineer things and being I am owned by birds I some times try to envision how I would have engineered a birds wing...You know had I been born a god, I think birds are grateful you did their wings and not me...lol Maybe I can be god in my next life....lol

I don't have storks yet...I said yet, maybe next month. This month I finally bought your ducks and I am having fun with them. I see a lot of personality in your render of the stork....

Carey

Extraordinary
Here is an Ibis I reworked. I made the bottom feathers rather reflective so the color of the water would color would sort of show a reflection of the water. I realize the necks on a real ibis the neck is not as shiny, but it looked so interesting I kept it that way....
Ibis.jpg
I also added a bit of transparency to the neck as i just didn't like the way the neck blended with the white feathering. I gave it almost human like eyes. Being the neck has the esophagi the way it does makes this a tricky model to work with, bend it or twist it just a bit too much and you end up with a bird that has a black snake around it's neck....

This was a character study, which I always do for a new character before I use it in a render, but I just plain don't like the render as well as I do just this single Ibis character study....
IBIS-1.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Great images, everyone!

....a true artist?

As far as bird imagery, that came later in my life with the advent of 3D art. I was drawn in subject matter immediately to wildlife imagery in my 3D Renders. My frustration in the lack of good 3D bird models led my to start creating my own and now a 1,000+ species later, I still find myself working to create the ultimate 3D bird lol

My first bird (and plant) model from 2000...

View attachment 5980

and last week's render of the Oriental Stork...

View attachment 5981

I love the comparison here which shows how far you have come with your models Ken! Until we do something like this I don't think we realise how far we've progressed. Love the stork render!

Carey

Extraordinary
I love the comparison here which shows how far you have come with your models Ken! Until we do something like this I don't think we realise how far we've progressed. Love the stork render!
I am still not sure what I do can be called art, time is going to have to determine that. All I know or care about is that to me it feels like art...Besides the canvases are a lot easier to store...Really Pendraia....Crayons? I tried a marker once to put a mustache on my sisters home page picture. It doesn't come off an LED monitor like it did on the old tube type monitors...Important to know....

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Nothing wrong with crayons...especially the modern version we have here in Oz. I'm not quite sure why you mention crayons to me though Carey as Ken was the one who talking crayons...sorry brain dead after work and I don't get the reference.

lol on the marker one though...neat trick to get read of permanent marker trying going over it with a whiteboard marker...generally gets them off with no problems. The number of times I've used a permanent marker by mistake on the white board at school...too many to count! Never tried doing it on an LED monitor though...

Carey

Extraordinary
Nothing wrong with crayons...especially the modern version we have here in Oz. I'm not quite sure why you mention crayons to me though Carey as Ken was the one who talking crayons...sorry brain dead after work and I don't get the reference.

lol on the marker one though...neat trick to get read of permanent marker trying going over it with a whiteboard marker...generally gets them off with no problems. The number of times I've used a permanent marker by mistake on the white board at school...too many to count! Never tried doing it on an LED monitor though...

speed reading messages again my bad, just jealous I guess, I still don't get to use crayons, but I do get to use the plastic shears now....

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Lol...no problem...just wasn't sure how to respond. End of the week and it was a long day so my brain was in neutral.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
@Carey I missed you uploading your bird art here...(my life got a little MORE chaotic during this time)... but wowowowow!! and... WOW!

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I am still not sure what I do can be called art, time is going to have to determine that. All I know or care about is that to me it feels like art...Besides the canvases are a lot easier to store...Really Pendraia....Crayons? I tried a marker once to put a mustache on my sisters home page picture. It doesn't come off an LED monitor like it did on the old tube type monitors...Important to know....

What makes an artist is what they are willing to invest... I know many artists that are simply assembly-line workers. Yes, all the technical skill is there, but they invest nothing other than the time to complete it-- it's generic art or what I call "furniture"-- something a decorate a room and very replaceable. Create an image with an investment from yourself, pouring your heart and soul (feelings) into it, making an image with personality and yes, you've create true art that isn't so "replaceable" because it's unique. While some times these images lack technical skills, they make up for that in content. If you can touch a viewer through your image, you've created good art... and that's what makes my bird contest judging different from normal contests; while talent counts for much, the personal investment that the artist gives to the image counts for more in most of my judges' eyes.