• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Just a heads up - Renderosity security compromised again

Hornet3d

Wise
Yeah. That was like 25 years ago, so it's water under the bridge ... sorta. Ex had a way of bringing up all my "transgressions," like I abandoned our 17 year old son when I left Oregon. We had joint custody, and had agreed my ex would move into the house with our son until his marriage, at which point Jason would move in with his father and the new wife. Unfortunately, I had a bad habit of engaging ... and would generally then bring up the car loans ... and that he had promised to repay me.

Anyhow ... as of 2006, I no longer have any interactions with either. Their decision.

Since the loans had been consolidated, I'm not sure whether anything would come of contesting it. It was "only" $1,000, and the credit union had lost $10,000 with the unsecured part of the debt, so I can understand why they transferred the remaining debt to me. Then again, since he'd promised to repay me, well ... silly me.

Fortunately, the last purchase I made at Renderosity was in February. And for that order, I used PayPal. I think I'll continue to do so. Even though, I don't really like using PayPal either.

Sorry to hear about the difficult past, I think it is always a shame when a relationship breaks down but it sometimes the best in the long run. Glad you manage to get out from underneath, even if it was a struggle.

I think the mantra at Rendo is certainly a case of buyer beware. While I don't like Paypal personally, from the reports of others, it looks a lot safer than a credit card, particularly at Rendo.

Hornet3d

Wise
Wow Hornet! I am so sorry you got hit AGAIN.

Thanks, at least this time around the purchases were declined so, unlike last time, I did not have to argue that I had not spent 6000 dollars in Canada at 04.30 one day while in the UK. The seller in Canada even claimed they had dealt with me before even though I had never heard of them. Finally it was a case they had to put up some proof of previous dealings or shut up, hence they had to stop lying and give up. Finally had the money refunded but it was a very worrying six weeks.

Hornet3d

Wise
I can't vouch for the validity of the statement but another customer has reported on card information being passed on to fraudsters and it happened this month, well outside the time frame already admitted to.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I cannot believe an Internet company can get hit this often and still claim their processes are secure and that goes for any Internet company not just 3D art.

What makes this especially egregious is that the software that runs Renderosity is owned by Renderosity's parent company - Bondware. The lack of security in their software belongs to them and them only.

Rendo is supposed to be the showcase for the Bondware software.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Bondware is Renderosity's Web Host. I'm not sure they actually "own" Renderosity.

If that were the case, RDNA would've remained with them as well.

The following is from their website . . .

"Our service includes everything you need to manage your online publication including software, website hosting, domain name services, email accounts and professional customer support. We have been serving online news publishers since 1999."

Edited to Add:
Here's an interesting link with a little more info -->

Renderosity

Last edited:

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhh, so they must've taken the fledgling site, bought it, and then developed it. OK, I was always under the impression they were Renderosity's web hosts.

So, in that case they were probably only "hosting" RDNA, they left to go to another web hosting company. OK, I stand corrected.

Willowisp

Adventurous
Yea, I agree this is the main problem here, the Rendo staff is doing the best they can, but what does that help when the framework they run on is faulty? They have no choice in the matter either.

Hornet3d

Wise
Just an update, it appears the other problem with the order process has appeared again. You place and order and the card is declined, you try again checking you have all the details correct, still declined. If you really want the goods you try another card and again it is declined, what you don't know is that each time a pending charge is being added to the credit cards. When it happened to me a month or so ago the pending charges fell away after a week but still does not help with a feeling of confidence in the process.

If you get a declined statement I would seriously suggest you check your card before you attempt the order again, better still shop here at Hivewire.

Hornet3d

Wise
Yeah, that was my solution to the problem! :)

It has taken a long time as I didn't really want to abandon a couple of the vendors there but there has to come a time. I even went to the trouble of setting up a prepaid direct debit card to use there, but now I have come to the conclusion if I continue to shop I am encouraging a sloppy attitude to both customer security and service. Since I have had the prepaid card up and running I have not even been in the marketplace on the basis if I don't know it exists I can't be tempted to buy.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
It has taken a long time as I didn't really want to abandon a couple of the vendors there but there has to come a time. I even went to the trouble of setting up a prepaid direct debit card to use there, but now I have come to the conclusion if I continue to shop I am encouraging a sloppy attitude to both customer security and service. Since I have had the prepaid card up and running I have not even been in the marketplace on the basis if I don't know it exists I can't be tempted to buy.

Yeah, I ask my favorite vendors for a private sale, or I do without. I simply refuse to subject my payment information to that website under any circumstance.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I even went to the trouble of setting up a prepaid direct debit card to use there, but now I have come to the conclusion if I continue to shop I am encouraging a sloppy attitude to both customer security and service.
This is why I've only been using PayPal for purchases since December. If I don't have enough cash in my PayPal account to cover it, it doesn't get bought. I refuse to use a credit (or debit) card in any manner to make purchases in their store.

My purchasing in any 3D store has been limited the past couple of years in general, simply because I was spending way too much money on this hobby, so limiting my purchases there to whatever my PayPal balance is at any given time, hasn't been much of a hardship.

Hornet3d

Wise
This is why I've only been using PayPal for purchases since December. If I don't have enough cash in my PayPal account to cover it, it doesn't get bought. I refuse to use a credit (or debit) card in any manner to make purchases in their store.

My purchasing in any 3D store has been limited the past couple of years in general, simply because I was spending way too much money on this hobby, so limiting my purchases there to whatever my PayPal balance is at any given time, hasn't been much of a hardship.

My expenditure there was already well down and I think I have only made two purchases there this year. The first order suffered from the erroneous declined message resulting in multiple charges and the second my card was done. I was only buying when items that I already had other items in the set such as the 3-d-c series but I will have to forego that now. I have sorted a prepayment card but I just don't want to give them my custom anymore.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Can't blame you Hornet, can't blame you at all. It's sad when a site as large, and popular, as theirs doesn't have enough security for their regular customers to feel safe making purchases there.

Last edited:

scatha

Adventurous
It's so nice to be understood! Yes, I am a freebie junkie too and now use a debit card for any online purchases...no money, no buy. And one of my next purchases will need to be a new hard drive as my addiction has almost filled my current. The good thing about grabbing every freebie that moves is I generally have most of the little things one uses to fill a scene. And a super great free database utility called Everything to find them. I could NOT live without it.

Hard to fill when you're using 2x 3Tb WD Reds, like I am. ;) I do think we're all addicts. :)