• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Just a heads up - Renderosity security compromised again

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
From a friend on Facebook....

breach of Renderosity Customers information (for purchases made between 9th and 12 of Mar 2017)

Just got this notification from renderosity that customers who made purchases between the 9th and 12th of Mar 2017, their information (including credit card details) might have been compromised! Please take the necessary steps to secure you credit card details....

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I stopped using my CC at Renderosity shortly after Thanksgiving last year because it had been hacked twice in less than 6 months. Since December, I've only been using PayPal when making purchases there.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I used to use my CC through PayPal, back in the day when I first started using PayPal. Now I just transfer funds into the account and spend it. I just won't be using my CC there anymore.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
My card is a low value one I use just for the internet. I'm just sick of having to change it every time someone hacks somewhere, which is why I decided to use it through pay pal for 3D purchases especially.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ahhhh OK. I use this particular CC for everything, not just online purchases.

I certainly don't blame you with respect to the hacking. I've never had a problem before last year, and then twice in such a short period of time. I also found this puts a bit of a limit on my spending. I tend to spread my purchases out over an entire month, rather than buying all at once, and if I know I only have $XXX left in the account, I will wait to purchase something that's not on sale, and which I don't need right away.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I only use it if I know I have the money in my account or will within the week. I don't like getting in debt we use our cards so that they are paid off fully each month. So I'm frequently waiting to buy.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Me too. I remember decades ago (in my foolish youth), when I had to pay large purchases off over several months. I haven't done that in a very long time. It just isn't worth the aggravation knowing I still owed money on it.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Me either...I mainly use the card now so it delays taking it out of the bank as it works better for us if the money stays longer in the account. Less interest on the mortgage as it's offset...

This Christmas I had over 20K fraudulent charges on my credit card I only use for online purchases. And by online purchases I mean it is a card I only use here, Amazon(the vast majority), D'Artagnan, DAZ, Rendo and CGcookie. So lesson learned. I now have notifications emailed to me when a charge is over a certain amount even though I was not responsible for any of the charges.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Fair enough, that sounds scary...I only had a couple of hundred put on the last time mine was hacked and that was worrying enough. Which is why I wanted to only pay through Paypal...it gives an extra line of defence unless of course they are hacked.

Miss B

CV-BEE
From what I read recently, PayPal is very serious about their security, and take extra precautions to make sure their users' accounts aren't hacked.

The odd thing is, Renderosity does ALL it's processing through PayPal, but from what has been reported on their forum, it's the step between Renderosity's store and PayPal that's not as secure as it should be. IOW, even if you use your CC at Renderosity, it's sent to PayPal for processing. I never knew that.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
In the last week, 2 family members have had their accounts wiped clean on the same day their payroll deposits were posted.

Neither of them have anything to do with Renderosity, but I'm guessing the hacking is because folks are getting income tax refunds so they are trying to steal it as fast as they can.

It's pretty awful when you go to pay your bills and your account balance is 0 the very day you get paid.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Me too. I remember decades ago (in my foolish youth), when I had to pay large purchases off over several months. I haven't done that in a very long time. It just isn't worth the aggravation knowing I still owed money on it.

I went through a terrible time some years ago and dealt with it shopping. I am still paying it off. The money I spent and spend would have bought Sans Souci another boat to play with. I have paid off one and cancelled it, still two to go. I shall be cancelling one of them when they are paid off and entrusting the other to a responsible person who shall not let me use it unless I can prove what I want is necessary. Sad to have to admit I am an addict but there you go. It's good to be honest they say.