• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Just a heads up - Renderosity security compromised again

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I have always used PayPal, except for once last month, at Rendo. So, guess what? Yep. Lesson already known but nailed down. Luckily, it was a card that has a limit and the hacker tried to go over it, so it was declined. Card cancelled.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I went through a terrible time some years ago and dealt with it shopping. I am still paying it off. The money I spent and spend would have bought Sans Souci another boat to play with. I have paid off one and cancelled it, still two to go. I shall be cancelling one of them when they are paid off and entrusting the other to a responsible person who shall not let me use it unless I can prove what I want is necessary. Sad to have to admit I am an addict but there you go. It's good to be honest they say.

I completely understand. I have a penchant for doing that. Luckily we have debit cards only (except for 1 new card that I got for going on cross country trips). But, when stress is high, I find myself hitting ShareCG and downloading everything, whether I need it or not, because I MIGHT use in one day. Now, I have a very stuffed hard drive, and lots of things that I don't even know what they are, and many of which have never even been installed.

I keep telling myself that I should just delete it all, and if I need it later, then I can down load it again, then. So, you are not alone.

TheKatster

Motivated
Ahhh so that must be where my card just recently got hacked.. I'll be sure to use it through paypal from now on.. damned hackers.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I completely understand. I have a penchant for doing that. Luckily we have debit cards only (except for 1 new card that I got for going on cross country trips). But, when stress is high, I find myself hitting ShareCG and downloading everything, whether I need it or not, because I MIGHT use in one day. Now, I have a very stuffed hard drive, and lots of things that I don't even know what they are, and many of which have never even been installed.

I keep telling myself that I should just delete it all, and if I need it later, then I can down load it again, then. So, you are not alone.

It's so nice to be understood! Yes, I am a freebie junkie too and now use a debit card for any online purchases...no money, no buy. And one of my next purchases will need to be a new hard drive as my addiction has almost filled my current. The good thing about grabbing every freebie that moves is I generally have most of the little things one uses to fill a scene. And a super great free database utility called Everything to find them. I could NOT live without it.

Lorraine

Ahhh so that must be where my card just recently got hacked.. I'll be sure to use it through paypal from now on.. damned hackers.

Damn hackers is right. I hope they, well actually I can't say what I hope on a family forum...but I sure do hope it!

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
It's so nice to be understood! Yes, I am a freebie junkie too and now use a debit card for any online purchases...no money, no buy. And one of my next purchases will need to be a new hard drive as my addiction has almost filled my current. The good thing about grabbing every freebie that moves is I generally have most of the little things one uses to fill a scene. And a super great free database utility called Everything to find them. I could NOT live without it.
I have tried to find that Everything, thing before, and couldn't find it. So, I started my own for DAZ, HiveWire3d, Pusey/Wilmap and Chohole. But, the rest of the Freebies are hanging out in Limbo. And since Daz 4.9 gets rid of personalize Categories, I don't want to upgrade and lose the work I've put into those.

Lorraine

The thing to do is only allow it to search your Daz folders, otherwise it will throw up thousands of results you don't need. I have it search my library (minus data folder), runtime, downloads, tutorials, textures etc. Beat it into shape, be happy forever :)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've used my debit card almost exclusively for about 25 years now. I rarely use my credit card ... usually when I'm charging $300 or so ... like software ... where I want to get it now, but may be at the wrong time of the pay period. I then generally transfer money from savings to pay off the charge ... or from checking once the paycheck comes through.

I'll also use my credit card when I can take advantage of a 6 or 12 month no interest/finance charge plan. I just make sure to pay the charge off within that period.

It's hard to get to that point where you no longer use a credit card. I hated doing so, but we filed for bankruptcy before the divorce. My ex kept consolidating loans and our credit cards so he could borrow more money, which really got us in a nasty situation. It took something like 10 years to pay off the Camry and the MR2 because of all that consolidating. But when I left Oregon, the only debt I had was the Camry. Which should have been paid off in two years. But ... I ended up paying another year because he turned the MR2 over the credit union. Instead of writing off what he owed, they added it to my loan!?! SO not cool!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I have tried to find that Everything, thing before, and couldn't find it. So, I started my own for DAZ, HiveWire3d, Pusey/Wilmap and Chohole. But, the rest of the Freebies are hanging out in Limbo. And since Daz 4.9 gets rid of personalize Categories, I don't want to upgrade and lose the work I've put into those.
I use categories in 4.9 it's still there I turned off Daz Connect as I don't like or want it.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
So sorry, Satira, you might have been able to talk to your lawyer about how to fight that, especially if the cars were split up in the paperwork.
Glad you are forging forward and getting out from under that. That takes a lot of courage and fortitude. Congrats.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
When I tried it, the categories (not default or products) had disappeared. Is it something that they've fixed in the updates?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I didn't update straight away so I can't actually say. Depending on which version you're updating from there is one that requires a different system...something to do with Valentina or something so you have to update the content management system. I can tell you that I run the latest version and I only use categories I have it all set up to suit myself and I have many gb's of content. I won't use smart content or Daz connect.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I have done the CMS switch already, so that isn't an issue. May have to try again, I know they've made some changes to the Iray engine. I couldn't live without my categories. Never use Smart Content!

Hornet3d

Wise
Well I have only placed two orders at Rendo this year, one when Fabiana had a massive sale a month or so ago and, yep you guessed it, March 10th and yes my cards were done again. Luckily my cards are still being monitored after the last time Rendo had a breach and all the fraudulent purchases were declined. Still had the hassle of having my cards blocked though. My real annoyance is that there are two threads over there that discuss this issue and the 'powers that be' have not added the details on either thread. The timescale was only known when a customer complained and got the response and then they added it to the thread.

Unfortunately, I don't like Paypal so using them is not an option. Living in the UK with all the major 3d art marketplaces in the US means a card is essential even though the purchases these days are quite small. What I have done now is set up a prepaid debt card with no overdraft or credit facility, that way if it is hacked the hackers only have access to the funds that exist on the card. Transfer from my bank is less than an hour before it shows on the card so the plan is to only transfer exactly what I want to spend just before I spend it. The downside is I expect the exchange rate to be poor but, for the small purchases I make, it is worth it not to have the hassle of blocking my cards every few months. Doing it this may might also have the advantage I stay within my hobby budget and, if it does, that will offset any currency charges.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah. That was like 25 years ago, so it's water under the bridge ... sorta. Ex had a way of bringing up all my "transgressions," like I abandoned our 17 year old son when I left Oregon. We had joint custody, and had agreed my ex would move into the house with our son until his marriage, at which point Jason would move in with his father and the new wife. Unfortunately, I had a bad habit of engaging ... and would generally then bring up the car loans ... and that he had promised to repay me.

Anyhow ... as of 2006, I no longer have any interactions with either. Their decision.

Since the loans had been consolidated, I'm not sure whether anything would come of contesting it. It was "only" $1,000, and the credit union had lost $10,000 with the unsecured part of the debt, so I can understand why they transferred the remaining debt to me. Then again, since he'd promised to repay me, well ... silly me.

Fortunately, the last purchase I made at Renderosity was in February. And for that order, I used PayPal. I think I'll continue to do so. Even though, I don't really like using PayPal either.