• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

It's not that easy ...

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It does look ... familiar ;) Maybe 'cos it also looks like my little 'lug around with me' laptop too! :)
Which is not too much of a beast, but is still a step up from the Atom processor, 1GB RAM netbook ... ;)

LMAO. My last computer was an old Dell XPS laptop... it had 1GB of RAM and I think a 256mb on-board video and maybe a 1GB processor in it. I was on that machine for so long after the final death of my old fossil desktop rig, that when I finally bought THIS laptop, I had to look up what the heck an i7 core processor was! I had no idea.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Toshiba Satellite.

I forget the screen size - I think it's a 15" screen.
12GBs of RAM, i7 Intel
Windows 8.1; 64-bit

It will NOT do Iray very well, it's on-board video, on-board sound, and the video is NOT Nvidia... so if you want to use Iray, I would NOT recommend it. A simple portrait (bald male, one shirt, NO background) takes this machine about twelve HOURS to do. And yes, I fiddled with the settings and materials and all of that, to avoid the usual pitfalls that increase render time.

If you're going to use 3Delight, then this machine does a great job... but I would not recommend it for Iray. I don't know how it would perform in Octane, as I don't own that, and I have not yet tested it on Reality, so can't say about that, either. But for Iray it has to do everything CPU-only and that dramatically increases render times (and is why I am still a 3Delight artist).

Other than the no-Iray thing, though, she's a very sweet little laptop and she's a beast for memory management and large scenes...

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That's OK, I don't do IRay or Reality either. I like the specs except, and for me a huge exception, it's Windows 8. I'm sticking with Win 7 Pro for as long as I can, and then may switch to Linux, as I've had enough of M$ Windows.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The Win8 is the thing I hate, also. But for me, I had *NO* working rig at all anymore, so I basically had NO choice. Every dang machine in every store was being released with 8.1.

You'll note I have NOT updated to Win10, either. And I won't. I wish I could DOWNgrade back to 7 Pro, but I honestly have no idea how to do that... this *IS* a laptop, and it does NOT have a DVD or CD drive in it...

The Win 8 is definitely the down point for me on this machine. But I was at a point where I needed something, as I had nothing and was completely without a rig for almost 2 years (which is I why it looked like I had disappeared). And there was no choice for me, basically, when it came to the OS.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I have a Toshiba Satellite as well (as does hubby) - His is an S55 and mine an S75 (though I use a separate keyboard & monitor). When we bought them (his a few years back, mine last April when my desktop died) they did have some models at Costco with Win7 Pro. Not sure if they did at other stores. That was a deal breaker for us - didn't want Win8. We will likely upgrade to Win10 sometime this year. I want to upgrade while it's still free...