• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I'm Thinking of Transitioning...

Willowisp

Adventurous
Abacus, well you were spoiled all I had was a stick to draw in the sand. I was eighteen before I had an abacus, well I say abacus, but really I was given a second stick, some thread stuff and I had to find my own beads and make my own. Tell that to the youngsters of today and they just won't believe you

Hah! You were LUCKY to have a homemade abacus! What we would have given to have that! All we had to count on were our fingers, except we were all lepers and lost all our toes and fingers. Ah, but we were happy those days!

Hornet3d

Wise
Hah! You were LUCKY to have a homemade abacus! What we would have given to have that! All we had to count on were our fingers, except we were all lepers and lost all our toes and fingers. Ah, but we were happy those days!

Well I will give you the fact that we had toes and fingers, not that we could feel them after walking all those miles in that blizzard and although I had an abacus on my eighteenth birthday we had to burn it that Christmas and we ate the berries I had used as counters. Then again we were lucky that we had a decorated cave that Christmas what with the prehistoric paintings on the walls and running water, although that was also down the walls making the paintings difficult to see at times. We all took turns at standing in the corner with as many branches we could hold (or stick somewhere) which was the closest we got to a Christmas tree and we had a book of Carols, well we would have done but Carol found out and took it back so we had to make up our own words when we sang, but we were happy.

Willowisp

Adventurous
Well I will give you the fact that we had toes and fingers, not that we could feel them after walking all those miles in that blizzard and although I had an abacus on my eighteenth birthday we had to burn it that Christmas and we ate the berries I had used as counters. Then again we were lucky that we had a decorated cave that Christmas what with the prehistoric paintings on the walls and running water, although that was also down the walls making the paintings difficult to see at times. We all took turns at standing in the corner with as many branches we could hold (or stick somewhere) which was the closest we got to a Christmas tree and we had a book of Carols, well we would have done but Carol found out and took it back so we had to make up our own words when we sang, but we were happy.

LUXURY!! We had to (ok I think we've taken this far enough now, we can't beat Monty Python anyway:whistling: )

ibr_remote

Adventurous
I just saw this thread (I don't go into any community's forums very much). It's been a debate for almost a decade already, so I just ignore the pro-Ps vs the pro-DS arguments. I am perfectly happy with how Poser works. Am also getting to understand DS a bit better. Blender is a bit of a beast compared to Shade 3D. I think being able to use all the software is handy.

Hornet3d

Wise
I just saw this thread (I don't go into any community's forums very much). It's been a debate for almost a decade already, so I just ignore the pro-Ps vs the pro-DS arguments. I am perfectly happy with how Poser works. Am also getting to understand DS a bit better. Blender is a bit of a beast compared to Shade 3D. I think being able to use all the software is handy.

You're right, Poser's doom was being predicted when I started using it and that was 14, soon to be 15, years ago.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
A friend absolutely swears by OpenOffice. I tried it when we evaluated it for work, and I didn't care for it. I'm afraid I'm a MS office girl, though moreso with Excel than Word. I'm still not crazy about Word. But it's no skin off my nose that he ... or anyone else ... prefers OpenOffice. Of course, OpenOffice was supposed to be a MS Office killer.

Personally, I still miss WordPerfect. Decades ago, I became rather expert at creating engineering reports people thought had been created with Adobe PageMaker. I still need a third hand. Two for typing, one for controlling the mouse. It just annoys me no end when I have to take a hand off the keyboard to use the mouse.

So, why is it that the world doesn't get into nasty flamewars over ... say OpenOffice and MS Office? It's the same thing as Poser and DAZ Studio. For that matter, you don't see professionals getting all bent out of shape over those who use Maya or Modo. Then too, I believe the majority of DAZ Studio and Poser users don't really care if someone prefers Poser over DS or DS over Poser. Most of us are more enamored by the results than what software someone used to achieve those results.

I just wish it wasn't so difficult for me to work in DS. I'd really like to support those here who use DS. But I'm struggling enough as it is trying to get skins to work in Superfly. After spending months trying to get a decent Superfly skin for Deirdre, I think I'm just going to ditch the Superfly version. I thought I was close enough, but when I looked at it again after several weeks of working on something else ... I hate it.

Hornet3d

Wise
It is easy to forget that the people posting on forums are likely the minority no matter what software they use. Most use their given software because it is either easy to use for them or it gives them they results they want or both. I guess there is more passion in renders than word documents so that might have something to do with the fact there are no word software flame wars, not that I know of anyway. I never understood why there were PC vs Mac wars either but I suspect it is only a very small minority that care enough to want to war over things, unless of course their life is so boring they are just a rebel looking for a cause.

Willowisp

Adventurous
Just saying, if you ever venture into a gaming forum, better not mention Nvidia vs AMD :speechless:

If you ever thought Poser vs DS was bad, you ain't seen nothin' yet..:cool:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I don't know Willowisp, I'm pretty neutral there I have an AMD processor and nVidia graphics card :p LOL

Nod

Adventurous
I've been a member there since 2005. I think I've posted in their forum twice. Once was to recommend the John Cleese narrated show called Faces when there was a discussion about what makes a woman beautiful. Another time was when someone started a thread with a pun so I joined in. I don't know why the forums there are so off putting but they are. Too many people maybe.

Never posted on Daz forums either. Used to be a part of a small group of poser users but they are shut down. It was such a joy to find this place and feel like I had a place I could express myself!

Edited to add this The Human Face (TV Mini-Series 2001– ) - IMDb It's the John Cleese show about the human face. I learned a lot from it.

Only 2005? I've been on there since 1999 apparently. And I rarely go into the forums there.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Only 2005? I've been on there since 1999 apparently. And I rarely go into the forums there.
I joined their forums in April 2000, and was hiding out in their Bryce forum because, at the time, there weren't any other Bryce forums. The one thing I like about the Renderosity forum software is . . . you can hide any and all forums you don't want to see, so I only have a handful available for viewing whenever I'm there, and lately, I've been spending most of my time in the Blender forum, where the moderator Lobo, who's posted on this forum a few times, and two or three others have been very helpful. Yes, I know, Bryce and Blender aren't Poser or DS.

I didn't get involved with DAZ and RDNA until October 2004 when I finally broke down and obtained Poser 5, my first Poser version. Unfortunately, that was back with my old Win98 SE desktop, and it didn't like Poser 5, so it would freeze up almost every time I tried to render.

Since I was a regular Bryce 4 user, and DAZ had bought Bryce and introduced the updated version 5, with a path to early versions of DS, I broke down and grabbed DS 2, which I installed on my laptop. Since I was having better luck completing projects with it, I kept upgrading to DS 3A, and then DS 4.0P, though I was pretty much only using Poser compatible content in DS, I stopped using Poser, until HiveWire, and Dawn, were born. Then I got back to Poser with version 9. I still have DS 3A installed, as it has my largest Runtime, and have used it several times during the past few years when I was working with V4.

Now-a-days, the only DAZ forum I visit, on rare occasions, is the Bryce forum, because David Brinnen and Horo are geniuses when it comes to Bryce. Hmmm, seems like I've come full circle. ;)

pommerlis

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I have Blender on the backburner at the moment, still want to learn it but just to little time.
I don't know, ever since I stopped my job I have less and less time in my day. What is that?! :D

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Let's give Peas a chance...
I'd rather Give PIZZA a Chance! :p There was a little pizza place around the corner from me for a good while, gay owned, fresh, delicious pizza and that was their store name. BRILLIANT! :)

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
*coughs*

When many of us were young, there not only wasn't an internet, there weren't any personal computers..
Yup, although, to be fair, we did have tablets... they were bound with a rolled metal ring and our stylus was a pen or pencil! :p

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have Blender on the backburner at the moment, still want to learn it but just to little time.
Well they'll be coming out with a new version soon that's going to make it's UI a lot easier for folks to learn. I've been using it for so long I'm familiar with it's UI, but a lot of folks just trying it for the first time find it confusing. Supposedly, the new version with take care of that by making it easier to just concentrate on the menus and such you need depending on what type of work you're trying to do, be it modeling, animation, etc.

Nod

Adventurous
I don't know, ever since I stopped my job I have less and less time in my day. What is that?! :D

I've been poking at Blender. I even bought Blender For Dummies to help with the poking. I've been too busy faffing, or doing textures, to actually try it yet. I even have a couple of the brilliant PhilW Carrara DVD,s gathering dust.

I stopped my job at the start of August, and I've no idea where the time has gone! :laugh: