• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yes, I know what you mean about GPU power...how do you set up two GTX760's? Or would it be better to save up for a GTX980 Titan? Is that what they are talking about when they say Titan Blacks?

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I am really enjoying the new GTX 960! I can now use the interactive mode and cycle thru lights fast and easy! Just wow!View attachment 2006
That's the same as mine....So hair renders in it ok now....when I first tried it would always crash at the hair...so only I have only been using CPU when I have hair on

Yes, I know what you mean about GPU power...how do you set up two GTX760's? Or would it be better to save up for a GTX980 Titan? Is that what they are talking about when they say Titan Blacks?

Windows 7, 8, 10 should recognize both cards. In addition, you may need to tell your renderer (Iray, Superfly, Octane), usually at the render settings that you are using both video cards.
I have both GTX760s checked, both are attached to a monitor each.. the third attached to my onboard video card. (I have a 3 x 24" LED setup) You'll notice some video slowness when you're rendering. I would only work on the screen that is attached to my onboard video for other stuff.

One of my GTX760 is 2 yr old the older about a year old, I added the second becuz it was on sale.
The 760 are older cards with older technologies. They still perform okay. They have 1152 Cuda cores with a base clock speed of 980 MHz, each of them have 4 Gb of GDDR5 memory. So two of them will have a combined 2304 cores (translation : faster renders, theoretically 2x faster), the Memory is still at 4GB (lowest denominator)

The GTX960 is a newer card (2Gb or 4 Gb). It has 1024 Cuda cores @ 1127 Mhz - As you can see, it's about the same as the GTX760 (I suspect it was a replacement card for the GTX760. --- quite affordable (less than $200)

The GTX980 Black has 2880 Cuda Cores @ 889 MHz and usually comes with 6 GB of Video Memory -- somewhat pricey ($400 +)

The GTX980 Titan X has 3072 Cuda Cores @ 1000 Mhz and comes with 12 GB of Video Memory -- expensive ($1000)

The GTX 980 Titan Z has 5760 Cuda Cores @ 705 Mhz and comes with 12 GB of Video Memory -- very expensive ($1400)

With PBR More cores will yield faster render (clock speed matters as well). More Video Memory will render more sophisticated scenes. With 2 Gb, you'll soon run out of memory if you do two Dawn's with a background . I would suggest to get at least 4G. If you have two cards, the Renderer will usually chose the card with lowest denomination of VRAM; for instance, if you have a 2 gb and a 4 gb card, it will only use 2 GB for VRAM, it won't combine them.

NOT all PBR are created equal. It depends on how the PBR are written. With the same scene, using Superfly may not give you better time than using Iray or Octane.

Note: More CUDA, faster renders, More VRAM more textures read.
Note: These cards are very power hungry. If you upgrade, invest in a good Power Supply. I'm currently using a 850W PSU , Platinum 80 rated to power those two 760s....

OKAY, I gotta unnerd myself now....I've gone crossed eye..

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
lol...Thanks for the info JV, very useful...translate those prices into Australian $ and they're even dearer. Especially at the moment. If the 960 isn't much different to what I've already got it's not worth getting it I think I'd better start saving. Hopefully by the time I've got the money the exchange rate will be better!

I'd be using the cards mainly in Iray...I don't own Poser 11. I'm tempted as it can create injection files but I can't justify it just for that.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Mmmm I don't know where you live but mine cost more than that...
It says on the box...windforce OC edition 4GB Geforce GTX 960 and from memory it cost me about $350

Not Marvel....but a DC character. Dr. Harleen Quinzel, Daddy's Lil Monster, Suicide Squad edition.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I remember that image from the old forum...Was gorgeous then and it's gorgeous now

nDelphi

Admirable
That's the same as mine....So hair renders in it ok now....when I first tried it would always crash at the hair...so only I have only been using CPU when I have hair on

Iray has an issue with some items. I have jewelry items I can't render with Iray after applying the Iray shaders to them. This has been discussed on the DAZ 3D forums in several threads.

nDelphi

Admirable
Mmmm I don't know where you live but mine cost more than that...
It says on the box...windforce OC edition 4GB Geforce GTX 960 and from memory it cost me about $350

I purchased mine a week before Christmas from Amazon, a ZOTAC GTX 960/4 GB. Amazon ran out of them and now I see them at $300 from other vendors on Amazon. They are definitely taking advantage. (I was told by someone who has been purchasing ZOTAC branded video cards for 15-years that ZOTAC is an excellent brand).

There are other brands, like EVGA, being sold around $200. I couldn't get an EVGA because Amazon doesn't deliver that brand, and some others, to my location.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I purchased mine a week before Christmas from Amazon, a ZOTAC GTX 960/4 GB. Amazon ran out of them and now I see them at $300 from other vendors on Amazon. They are definitely taking advantage. (I was told by someone who has been purchasing ZOTAC branded video cards for 15-years that ZOTAC is an excellent brand).

There are other brands, like EVGA, being sold around $200. I couldn't get an EVGA because Amazon doesn't deliver that brand, and some others, to my location.
Ok I brought mine from MSY in Australia

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Dramatic, that's the word I would use to describe it nDelphi. It's a fabulous render, and thanks for uploading it again. :)