• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
True, but I think several of them were doing it on purpose because they wanted strange images.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That was exactly what I was referring to Ken. Who does the copyright rightfully belong to. I think this is an issue that needs resolving before people can use them commercially in any way. There is a thread at Daz forums also.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
a couple weeks ago I used Dall-e and did 'a rabbit dressed as a hobo walking in the city' and got this
surprise

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
That was exactly what I was referring to Ken. Who does the copyright rightfully belong to. I think this is an issue that needs resolving before people can use them commercially in any way. There is a thread at Daz forums also.

Yes, this will have to be resolved. But not at the DAZ forums, since this is a legal issue. LOL

a couple weeks ago I used Dall-e and did 'a rabbit dressed as a hobo walking in the city' and got this
surprise

It's exactly the creative ideas like this that produce the coolest images out of AI. However, we used to need a concept artist to create things like this, but apparently, not anymore. Are they out of jobs?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I never meant it would be resolved there merely that they are discussing ai and copyright was mentioned. It will take new legislation to resolve the copyright.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
What I see here is something similar to the discussions when photography first showed up, and traditional artists felt threatened. Then again when 3D became viable, artists from other medias felt threatened. Maybe the concerns were justifiable, because since then, cinematic 2D animations have been replaced by 3D. With AI generated images, now artists from ALL medias feel threatened. LOL

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
2d animation still exist, it's just not as mainstream. Many schools use it to explore animation with students. I'm not feeling threatened but I also don't rely on my art for my income. I think eventually it will become another tool in our toolkits but there are issues like copyright that do need to be resolved.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Of course, I am referring to professional artists who do this for living. I know many of them from DeviantArt and the gaming industry. Nonetheless, paid commissions are good part of my income, and AI may steal a part of that share as well.

So what part of copyright do you think needs to be addressed with art created by AI?

Hornet3d

Wise
The bikes were a new creation which meant that, after many months, they could move further away from the colony and discover a little more of their new home. It gave Caoimhe mixed feelings, she still felt trapped on the plant constantly wondering if the colony would survive. They had been lucky so far but their existence remained on a knife edge. The bikes did at least give her a break from the tensions and endless pressures of colony life, it gave her time to relax.

Tonight had been something very special, a ride out with nothing in mind but the chance to unwind but even so she felt guilty of taking even these few precious moments. It had been so long that she had begun to wonder if she would ever relax again, was it something that you could forget how to do, the thought had troubled her but not at this moment.

They gazed at the stars taking in the sky that was so strange, so alien to them. Turlough was thinking of home and whether he would ever see it again. Caoimhe on the other hand was thinking of something, or more accurately, someone, so very much closer.

Nightwatch HW.jpg

Bikes - Colony Motorbike by Coflek-gnorg

Landscape is from Kokkinos Red Rocks by ShaaraMuse 3D

Background is from Prae Space Backgrounds

Dawn outfit is Celeste Sci Fi outfit by HunterD_aka_notbob

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I wish there was a care emoticon Ken because I do care about the people who will be effected.

In regards to copyright, who owns the images created by the ai? The person inputting the text? The creator of the ai? The people's whose artwork taught the ai? Quite simply who owns it?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I wish there was a care emoticon Ken because I do care about the people who will be effected.

Some of the people I have worked with in the gaming industry don't even want to hear about this topic. Some have their jobs on the line. AI can be trained to specialize on specific types of game assets, like for example, pixel art. That alone used to be the specialty of entire sections of gaming market. I know at least a dozen online stores that make and sell only that. <___<

In regards to copyright, who owns the images created by the ai? The person inputting the text? The creator of the ai? The people's whose artwork taught the ai? Quite simply who owns it?

Maybe it doesn't matter who owns something created by a machine. I guess whoever types the description "owns" whatever comes out of it. However, I can see an issue with particular art styles created by specific artists. Those are trade marks of the artist, since they can be quite recognizable. I think even I have a particular style. I don't know if that can be legally owned.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I don't think it will be that simple but who knows what the experts will decide. Until there is some legislation covering it though I wouldn't use it commercially.

I can understand the desire not to hear about it. I am not sure it will have the impact you think it will. I have seen lots of artwork and what I think it's missing is it's own style. The styles I've seen have all been recognisable and although pretty haven't to my mind have the spark of originality that a human brings to their artwork. This might change as it gets better though.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
When I say that AI can specialize on specific art styles, I am talking about specialized AI tools aimed for specific areas, not the general public sites. I am seeing a rise on specialized AI tools targeting specific areas of content creation, when some are already in use in the industry. There are also AI tools specialized in Python programming that can generate code on demand. I have attended a webinar last week where the AI Python code was considered superior to what the company's programmers use to produce. But keep in mind that at this point, this is a tool to aid programmers to speed up the work, not replace to them. But that is a step towards an AI that will eventually not require programmers at all.

At least in my perspective, I think it's the artist who should have a style, not the AI. As a matter of fact, the AI will use whatever known style we ask it to adopt in the text description. I know this is all still new, but I have the impression that the creative side on using these tools will be on the text input request, and not so much the AI. So much that some sites have already started collecting the best text inputs because of its creative value it. ^^

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
"I say your civilization, because as soon as we started thinking for you it really became our civilization, which is of course what this is all about." ~ Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have asked an AI about copyright issues of images created from AI prompts, and this is what it replied to me:

"AI-powered image creation technology has been rapidly advancing over the past few years and has helped making it possible to create images from textual prompts of any type. This is an excellent way to make sure that you are abiding by the law, and can rest assured that you are the only one with rights to your images - not only will they never be pulled without your consent, but this also means that there will be no need for stock photos. This is a great way to make sure that you are getting the copyright for the image you want, and you will not have to worry about the copyright holder pulling an image from your website."

So if you ask the AI, it thinks it's a good thing, and copyright is not an issue. On the contrary - it considers it as the means to feel safe about it. Conversely, the AI has strategically avoided touching the subject of taking artists jobs in the way.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Well, I got an interesting email from Paul Bussey at Digital Art Live. It seems they're going to be holding a webinar on Saturday 9/3/22 at 21:00 BST (London), 16:00 EDT (New York), 13:00 PDT (Los Angeles), as well as conducting a 4 week course on A.I.

The first line in the email states:

"A.I. Generated Art is snowballing, with the choice of generation tools increasing and the number of people using them growing at a frenetic rate." (his emphasis, not mine)

Someone at that webinar should be able to answer the question about copyrights.