• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

eclark1894

Visionary
It's evolving. I made the surfboard and the textures, and the water all in Blender. Well, the textures in GIMP. I was trying to put a nice shine on the boards, but I guess it didn't come out.

Surf's up!.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You can add a Glossy node into Alternate Spec for a shine. If that doesn't look the way you want after tweaking the settings, you can try an Anisotropic node, though I tend to use that on characters Lips and Nails rather than props.

eclark1894

Visionary
You can add a Glossy node into Alternate Spec for a shine. If that doesn't look the way you want after tweaking the settings, you can try an Anisotropic node, though I tend to use that on characters Lips and Nails rather than props.
I tried the glossy node but my computer choked. I'll try again later.

quietrob

Extraordinary

Would you show us an example of both glossy and anisotropic node effects on lips. I'd love to see the result and the advanced materials screen on that. I normally add shine during postwork.

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, here's a render and screenshot of part of the material room settings for her lips. I will say, Dawn comes with the Anisotropic node included for her lips in the face makeup sets, but not in her base skin. I just changed the settings so it shows up a bit more than the included material set I chose, which I believe was Face Smoke.

DawnSE-AnisotropicLips.jpg

I've not used Glossy on her lips, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to come up with a good example, but I'll try. There maybe others here who use the Glossy node to better use.

Bear in mind, that lighting will affect the way these nodes render.

eclark1894

Visionary
I've not used Glossy on her lips, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to come up with a good example, but I'll try. There maybe others here who use the Glossy node to better use.

Yeah, that seems to be a problem. I think I'm using way too much light, but I wanted to show it was a bright sunny day at the beach. I did put the glossy nodes on the boards, but they just reflect all the light back.

Also, I think I'm having ... ta dah... a texture problem on the boards. primarily around the nose area. Looks okay in Blender, andnot too bad in GIMP, but when I render it, seems like the borders wander off the top of the board.

surfing.png

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Just playing around this morning with some old props I made a while back when experimenting in ZBrush. The "Posing Box", Love seat and Steam Punk Lamps all mine. Rendered in iRay and made the globes and the lamp base emissive. Kinda fun. Just needed to take a break from all the usual stuff before heading off to my other job....

Rich

Mini Scene iRay.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Those are cool Rich. I especially like the lamps, though I'm not sure about the emissive bottoms. I think just having the top globes emissive would be nice. :)

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Thanks Miss B. Actually allot of floor lamps out there have lights on the bottom. Adds a different sort of feel to them. Usually there is a multi on off switch. Top, Bottom, Both, Off. My friend that makes lamps gives me allot of inspiration!

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh that makes me think of my mom's old antique lamps. There was a light inside the porcelain base, and you could have the regular light, that light, or both lights on. I just haven't seen it in on a torchiere lamp before.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Well Jeffery, my friend that makes lamps, can make a lamp out of just about anything so knowing him the globe top would work although he would probably give me hell about it at first! lol

quietrob

Extraordinary
OK, here's a render and screenshot of part of the material room settings for her lips. I will say, Dawn comes with the Anisotropic node included for her lips in the face makeup sets, but not in her base skin. I just changed the settings so it shows up a bit more than the included material set I chose, which I believe was Face Smoke.

I forgot to say thank you as I ran off and tried all these nodes...AFTER I looked up terms like blinn and procedural bump. I did know that the math functions aren't really doing math but mixing different parameters which still confuses me as I see blender on there as well. Luckily Anisotropic is pretty clear once it's looked up and it's just the output of that specular map. Those lips looks so shiny even with the subtle variations of skin.

Miss B

CV-BEE
You're quite welcome Rob. I haven't gotten into playing with Blinn and the other procedural nodes much, so one of these days I should, if for no other reason than to see what they do.

As far as the Anisotropic, I usually just plug it into the Alternate Spec node if it's not already included. In DawnSE's case, it was there in the makeup sets, so I just had to adjust the settings to what I've come to like for shiny lips. ;)

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Having a lazy day. After tomorrows piddly two clients I'm off work for 9 glorious day. We shall see what I get done then. Today I'm transferring all of my dear friend Fred's hard drive content over to a new hard drive for safe keeping (he passed away about 4 years ago from pulmonary fibrosis, horrible way to go. I miss him every day). He was an audiophile BIG TIME so keeping all the music and what not on the drive but his older drive is just what we need at the salon for our music collection and he would be fine with this decision considering! So while I'm transferring files I decided to get out an old set I'd not yet played with called the Mediterranean Patio. Must have been pretty old because the texture files were missing so I'm guessing I got it back in the days when I had my Poser Runtime on another drive. So redownloaded it from DAZ and converted it over to iRay and used DAZ Studio's built in duplication tools to create more plants, added in some food props and got creative with the lighting. I call it "I went to a garden party" made me think of the song of that name...

Went to a Garden Party.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And good taste in music too :D

I liked this when I was a kid, but it takes on a different meaning now.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh my goodness, Ricky Nelson. Man that takes me back.

Love the render Richard, very nicely done. ;)